Love in the Afternoon (1972)

So either I am a particularly poor thread finder (quite possible), or you all went and elected a film as one of your 25 favorites on marriage that did not have a thread of its own.

On the off chance that the latter, not the former is the truth of it...here you go!

And here's some thoughts I had on watching the film. I think Peter posted a link to this some years ago in the Eyes Wide Shut thread, but I don't know if anyone posted it in connection with Rohmer.

Also, while I'm promoting stuff...I recommend John Caruana's excellent essay on Rohmer in F&S in Master's of World Cinema.

Just to be clear, this is the 1972 Eric Rohmer film known in France as L'amour l'après-midi and in the U.S. as Chloe in the Afternoon, yes?

And not the 1957 Billy Wilder film starring Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn and Maurice Chevalier, yes?

kenmorefield wrote:

: . . . you all went and elected a film as one of your 25 favorites on marriage that did not have a thread of its own.

FWIW, I just went and checked the nominations thread to see if a link to a thread had been provided there, since all nominations were supposed to be made according to a certain format etc.... and it seems the person who nominated this film did not follow the format. So perhaps this film was never a valid candidate!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 7 months later...

The AV Club pointed out something that was news to me, at least: Chris Rock's film I Think I Love My Wife is a remake of Love in the Afternoon.

To some, it must have seemed counterintuitive of Chris Rock to attempt a remake of Love In The Afternoon (also known as Chloe In The Afternoon), Éric Rohmer’s 1972 classic about the problems of a dissatisfied bourgeois Frenchman contemplating marital infidelity. In fact, the pairing makes perfect sense: Unlike so many other cut-and-paste translators of foreign material, Rock—who directs and stars, working from a script he wrote with Louis C.K.—takes on Rohmer’s original text like he’s covering a canonical rock or soul number, giving it the spin of his own artistic personality.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:

: The AV Club pointed out something that was news to me, at least: Chris Rock's film I Think I Love My Wife is a remake of Love in the Afternoon.

Yup, we mentioned that in our thread on Chris Rock's film (which apparently bore the name of Rohmer's film at one point).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Tyler wrote:

: The AV Club pointed out something that was news to me, at least: Chris Rock's film I Think I Love My Wife is a remake of Love in the Afternoon.

Yup, we mentioned that in our thread on Chris Rock's film (which apparently bore the name of Rohmer's film at one point).

Ah, so. I didn't even try searching for that thread, because I assumed it didn't exist.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog