Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

C.O.G.

Kyle Smith:

PARK CITY -- The first-ever screen adaptation of a David Sedaris “essay” (more like a short story), “C.O.G.” contains some surprisingly heartfelt moments of Christian feeling, although in the end it nullifies itself, leaves its hero right where he started and winds up saying nothing. . . .

Promoted from fruit picker to processing factory worker, Samuel becomes friends with forklift operator Curly (Corey Stoll) but panics during a creepy sexual interlude and runs away. His last option is to move in with a Christian proselytizer (Denis O’Hare) who, it turns out, turned to Jesus after losing his leg in Desert Storm.

It’s a pleasure to watch David’s assumptions being turned upside down as he begins to accept Christian values, if not quite Bible stories themselves. . . .

There are far too many references to gay sex and sex toys in the movie to make it sellable to a Christian audience, and “C.O.G.” (Child of God) comes far too close to endorsing Christian ways (at least in act 2) to make it appeal to intellectual art-house types, but I like what Alvarez has done here. This is a funny, smart study of convincingly complicated characters, and it invites its audience to reflect about whether it’s a tenable position to be an atheist yet accepting of Christianity’s core values.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Is that guy supposed to be Sedaris? Because he does not sound like him at all. (Not necessarily a bad thing...)

On the other hand, Corey Stoll!

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog