Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon... 2?

Weinstein Co Readying ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ Sequel For May Start

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has set a May production start in Asia on a sequel toCrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There is a script by John Fusco, and TWC is in talks with veteran Chinese director Ronny Yu. Harvey Weinstein is producing.

The new film is derived from the same source material as the Ang Lee-directed 2000 film that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and won three other Academy Awards. Lee isn’t involved in this one, which is based on Silver Vase, Iron Knight. That is the fifth book in the Crane-Iron Pentalogy by Wang Du Lu.Crouching Tiger was the fourth book in the series. Fusco, whose credits includeSpirit, Hidalgo and The Forbidden Kingdom, is an avid follower of Wu Sia, the centuries old genre of Chinese fiction that this series is part of.

Key words: "Lee isn't involved in this one."

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Spirit, Hidalgo, and The Forbidden Kingdom aren't the greatest set of writing credits either.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Well, at least it should have Yuen Woo-Ping going for it...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 year later...

It's a prequel, not a sequel, apparently. And filming starts in July:

Titled The Green Destiny, the movie will see Michelle Yeoh reprise her role as female warrior Yu Shu Lien.

Pre-production is believed to have begun. Filming is due to start in Auckland, New Zealand, with two further weeks of shooting in China.

Yuen Woo-ping, who co-ordinated the action scenes in the original, will step behind the camera for the prequel.

[snip]

[P]lans for a prequel were delayed by a row over the film rights to Wang Du Lu's novels, on which the film was based.

Columbia Pictures claimed it had struck a deal with the late writer's son in 2005. He denied this, and said he had signed an agreement with The Weinstein Company, another US studio.

With the case resolved, The Weinstein Company is pushing ahead with the prequel, choosing New Zealand as a location thanks to a generous production incentive that offers filmmakers a 20% rebate on money spent in the country.

So, Michelle Yeoh will play a younger version of the character she played 15 years ago.

Well, at least it should have Yuen Woo-Ping going for it...

He's the full stop director now, not just the fight coordinator.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 3 months later...

With Harry Shum, Jr.

Donnie Yen already is cast as Silent Wolf, and Michelle Yeoh is on board as Yu Shu-lien.

Shum will play Tie-Fang.

Shum (repped by Innovative Artists, Triniti Management, and Stone Meyer) is best known for playing Mike Chang on Fox’s Glee. He recently wrapped filming Revenge of the Green Dragons, an immigrant drama in which he appears alongside Ray Liotta.

• 1 month later...

'Crouching Tiger' Sequel to Hit Netflix and Imax Simultaneously in Groundbreaking Deal http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/thr/news/~3/BA9roKBx3Ck/crouching-tiger-sequel-hit-netflix-736611

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

As a Netflix streaming subscriber, will this film be available to me as part of my subscription, or will they put a mechanism in place where I have to pay extra to see it?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I imagine it would be part of the subscription -- similar to how, if you subscribe to a pay-TV channel like HBO, you get to watch whatever shows they produce without paying extra. (We talked about this on Facebook, but I didn't want your question here to go unanswered!)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Regal and Cinemark theatres won't be showing Crouching Tiger 2.

Regal Cinemas and Cinemark are not bowing down to a new Weinstein Co. deal with Netflix and IMAX.....

Weinstein Co. Co-chairman Harvey Weinstein said in a statement that "the moviegoing experience is evolving quickly and profoundly, and Netflix is unquestionably at the forefront of that movement."

But Regal, the nation's largest theater chain, said in an effort to continue "presenting movies on a grand scale," it will not play the film in any of its 86 IMAX theaters across the United States.

"While a home video release may be simultaneously performing in certain IMAX locations, at Regal we will not participate in an experiment where you can see the same product on screens varying from three stories tall to 3 inches wide on a smartphone," said Russ Nunley, Regal's vice president of marketing and communications. "We believe the choice for truly enjoying a magnificent movie is clear."

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I imagine it would be part of the subscription -- similar to how, if you subscribe to a pay-TV channel like HBO, you get to watch whatever shows they produce without paying extra. (We talked about this on Facebook, but I didn't want your question here to go unanswered!)

:) I asked it here in case it DIDN'T get answered on Facebook. 

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Cineplex, the largest Canadian theatre chain, won't show the film.

The number of American theatre chains boycotting the film is now four -- AMC, Regal, Cinemark and Carmike -- and the European theatre chain Cineworld (#2 theatre chain in Europe, #1 IMAX chain in Europe) is boycotting it too. But IMAX isn't worried because the real money is in China, which has over 200 IMAX screens and doesn't have Netflix to begin with.

Deadline:

The streaming video company probably will only pay about $10M, Wible figures, for the sequel to a Ang Lee-directed 2000 martial arts epic. The original cost $17M to make, and the sequel is a co-production with The Weinstein Co. If Wible’s assumptions are correct, then Crouching Tiger 2 would come in far below Netflix’s outlay for each DreamWorks Animation film offered nine months after it hits the theaters — for prices estimated at anywhere from $20M to $40M. It also spent $100M for two 13-episode seasons of House Of Cards.

And now that Netflix has revealed its willingness to get into feature-film production, what is their next move? A deal for four straight-to-Netflix films from Adam Sandler. Oh-kay...

• 1 year later...

Could I just pop in and mention how incredibly silly it is that this movie is getting a novelization? There's already a book--there's four of them. Of course, they haven't been translated into English--is it just cheaper to hire someone to write a new book than it is to hire a translator?

Quicker, probably. I'll grant that. 

Could I just pop in and mention how incredibly silly it is that this movie is getting a novelization? There's already a book--there's four of them. Of course, they haven't been translated into English--is it just cheaper to hire someone to write a new book than it is to hire a translator?

Quicker, probably. I'll grant that. 

The fact that these books haven't been translated to English is a huge disappointment to me.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• 4 weeks later...

The film is now titled Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword Of Destiny, and Netflix has released the first trailer.

I haven't been following the film's production, so I was a bit surprised -- but perhaps I shouldn't have been -- that it'll apparently be an English language film. The martial arts action looks pretty good, which one would expect from Yuen Woo-Ping. But really, a dreary synth-y cover of "Bad Moon Rising" for the soundtrack? That was... odd.

Also, is the film a prequel? Everything I've read indicates it's still a sequel.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

59 minutes ago, opus said:

Also, is the film a prequel? Everything I've read indicates it's still a sequel.

The novelization summary:

Seventeen years after the legendary fighter Mubai dies protecting the world-conquering sword The Green Destiny, four great warriors are called together to guard the formidable weapon once more. The forces surrounding the sword irrevocably altered the life of Shulien, Mubai’s lover, but seventeen years later she is still honor-bound to defend the blade from the power-hungry warlord Hades Dai. The young fighters Wei-fang and Snow Vase, switched at birth, also have heritages and inheritances that inextricably link them to both each other and the fate of the sword. And Silent Wolf, Shulien’s former fiancé, returns from presumed death to thwart Hades Dai—and rekindle an emotionally isolated Shulien’s feelings.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This movie is a total mess. It goes for emotional beats similar to the original but fails to stick the landing on any of them. It actually works best when it is playing less like a sequel and more like a Shaw Brothers homage. 

EDIT: Though it was filmed in English, Netflix includes a Mandarin track (as well as several other languages). I watched in Mandarin because, hey, input is input--but it was kind of funny, since the experience was something like a mirror image of watching the original Crouching Tiger with an English dub.

The look of this movie is strange. It's kind of like a poor man's Tsui Hark (think either of the Detective Dee movies, most relevantly) but it looks very cheap, like they turned up the saturation to cover for the fact that there wasn't really that much production-wise that couldn't be seen in something like Empresses in the Palace. This technique does lend itself to some lovely shots, but it also highlights the places where the production seems most threadbare (any scene in the courtyard, the first entrance into the city, etc).

Edited by NBooth