Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonLine

Star Trek 13

I'm starting this topic on my iPad, running Google Chrome, and can't easily go between browser tabs, so I'm doing this without hyperlinks. I'm sure Peter can remedy that situation. :)

With the strong probability that J.J. Abrams will NOT be directing this film, thanks to his journey to the Dark Side, who would we want to see do a Star Trek film in the J.J.-Verse?

I think the obvious first pick is Brad Bird, who took up the reins from Abrams in the Mission Impossible franchise to great success. I'd be down with that.

But I just saw a suggestion on Dark Horizons, that of the director of Moon and Source Code, somebody Duncan? I didn't see Moon, but I liked Source Code a lot, and it evidenced both a great deal of creativity and the ability to communicate both an intricate plot and strong characterizations. Might be worth a shot.

The director of Moon and Source Code is Duncan Jones, the son of David Bowie. And I'd be happy to see him direct a Star Trek film.

Or how about Sam Mendes? If it weren't for a few flaws in the screenplay, Skyfall would have been my all-time favorite Bond film: glorious to look at, wonderfully paced, full of solid performances.

While I think any franchise would improve under the leadership of Brad Bird, and while I dream of Disney handing him the controls of Star Wars, I'd prefer to see Bird focus on worlds and stories of his own making. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol was a blast, but how much better would it have been if it hadn't been Mission: Impossible, but the beginning of something new and better?

Edited by Overstreet

I'd like to see a Darren Aronofsky directed Star Trek film... 'cause I think, if asked, he'd do it, whereas David Lynch would take a pass.

Links to our threads on the original TV series (1966-1969), the original movie series (1979-2002), Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994), Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005), Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek into Darkness (2013).

Personally, I think it's too early to say where the franchise should go from here, because we won't even know where "here" is until Star Trek into Darkness comes out. And then there's the question of who would be a good director for Star Trek in general and who would be a good director for J.J. Abrams' NuTrek, which is really quite a different beast. And like I say, we're only one movie into NuTrek so far.

Duncan Jones, Matt Reeves, or [here's a thought I've not seen elsewhere] Rian Johnson would all be interesting choices. The thing about Jones is that I can see him easily fitting in with the Prime Universe, but the JJVerse is (as Peter points out) a very different sort of world, and I'm not sure the Moon approach would work there [although I would love to see the Moon aesthetic Trekified].

I'm really hoping Abrams manages to finish out a "trilogy," though, if only for the trilogy-ness of it.

Zack Quinto says the plan is to start shooting the film next year so that they can get it done for release in 2016, which is the 50th anniversary of the franchise. He also apparently said that Abrams was thinking of directing it himself. But of course, nothing is official, nothing has been announced, etc., etc.

STAR TREK 3 Is Boldly Going With New Writers

Excellent sources have revealed to me that the new writers for Star Trek 3 have been found, and as expected Bad Robot is hiring from within the ranks of past collaborators. Continuing with the first two films' tradition of having writing teams, the script for Trek 3 will be written by duo Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz. You know them as the guys who wrote the first Thor and who have a writing credit on X-Men: First Class. They also worked as writers and producers on Fringe, making them part of the Bad Robot family. They also have some Gene Roddenberry experience thanks to their work on the schlocky TV show Andromeda.

Don't get too excited about certain writers taking their hands off the property - Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci are still on as writers. I heard that they were instrumental in making the decision about going after Stentz and Miller. What their day-to-day involvement moving forward will be I couldn't say.

Keep in mind this isn't a done deal, so it's possible that someone else could end up getting the gig. And there's no guarantee they're the final writers on the project. But as of right now it's Stentz and Miller's job to lose. And since Paramount wants this movie out in 2016 to mark the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, expect work to begin on it ASAP. . . .

Badass Digest, July 22

Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci to Return to Write Next 'Star Trek' (Exclusive)

Though the project is shrouded in secrecy, as had been the case with Into Darkness, reports have surfaced in recent weeks that the studio would tap new writers for Star Trek 3 and had met with Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor, X Men: First Class) to possibly pen. Rumors swirled that other young writing teams were being courted for their takes. But Paramount shifted gears recently and is returning to the duo that breathed new life into the moribund franchise. The tricky part was getting Kurtzman and Orci to find a gap in their schedules to write. In addition to their sprawling TV empire, they have been busy on the film front as part of their two-year first-look deal with Universal that has them rebooting The Mummy and Van Helsing.

Hollywood Reporter, August 5

Exclusive: We Know Who The Top Contender Is To Direct ‘Star Trek 3′

Back in May our very own ‘El Mayimbe’ tweeted that he heard “Attack The Block” director Joe Cornish was on a list of contenders up for the gig. Other rumors, although unconfirmed, had Justin Lin and Brad Bird as possibilities as well.

A few days ago, (was told not to say anything till now) I was told that there was one person so far on top of the list.

Ready trekkies?

That person is “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” director Jon M. Chu.

I waited on this because I wanted to confirm this and all I got was “no comment” and another source said “he’s a contender.” . . .

Latino Review, August 5

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Love.

‘Attack The Block’s Joe Cornish Beaming Up For ‘Star Trek 3?’

EXCLUSIVE: We know that Paramount and Skydance Productions lost JJ Abrams as the director of the third installment of Star Trek when Abrams took on Star Wars. I’m hearing the studio is sweet on Joe Cornish to direct the next film. Cornish made his feature directorial debut on Attack The Block, the saga of a group of British youths who stave off an alien invasion in their rough neighborhood.

Cornish followed by being one of the writers on The Adventures Of Tintin, and he and Edgar Wright wrote the script for Ant-Man, the Marvel Studios film that Wright is going to direct. Long story short, he’s gotten exposure to bigger scale project than Attack The Block, on which he admirably depicted a full scale alien invasion on a relatively small budget. Doing a movie like this would certainly put his career on a warp speed path. . . .

Deadline.com, November 2

- - -

Yes, I corrected the blog post's spelling of "Tintin". If only to facilitate search-engine-y stuff.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

‘Attack The Block’s Joe Cornish Beaming Up For ‘Star Trek 3?’

EXCLUSIVE: We know that Paramount and Skydance Productions lost JJ Abrams as the director of the third installment of Star Trek when Abrams took on Star Wars. I’m hearing the studio is sweet on Joe Cornish to direct the next film. Cornish made his feature directorial debut on Attack The Block, the saga of a group of British youths who stave off an alien invasion in their rough neighborhood.

Cornish followed by being one of the writers on The Adventures Of Tintin, and he and Edgar Wright wrote the script for Ant-Man, the Marvel Studios film that Wright is going to direct. Long story short, he’s gotten exposure to bigger scale project than Attack The Block, on which he admirably depicted a full scale alien invasion on a relatively small budget. Doing a movie like this would certainly put his career on a warp speed path. . . .

Deadline.com, November 2

- - -

Yes, I corrected the blog post's spelling of "Tintin". If only to facilitate search-engine-y stuff.

Yes, please.

If it inspires more moviegoers to discover Attack the Block, that's good enough for me.

New writers and a release plan.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay have been tapped to write Star Trek 3 for Paramount and Skydance Productions.

The duo will join Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the first two installments of the reboot with partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof. Orci is working without Kurtzman on this one.

The next Star Trek film is untitled and unscheduled, but Paramount and Skydance are hoping to have a film in time for the franchise to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016. ....Payne and McKay already have a relationship with Abrams. The duo wrote the script adapting Boilerplate, the graphic novel by husband-and-wife comics team Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett.

A Variety story about Kurtzman and Orci splitting up their partnership on movies (they'll still work together on TV shows) includes this detail:

Orci is currently laser focused on the upcoming “Star Trek 3.” He’s already been tapped to pen the picture along with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, and he’s lobbying heavily to direct the production. The film’s co-producers, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and David Ellison’s Skydance, appear to be in favor of Orci helming the film, but people familiar with the situation say that Paramount is being cautious. If Orci lands the assignment, “Star Trek 3” would mark his directorial debut.

Not sure where to put this.  But I guess I can try here.

Back to Outer Space?

n this movie [the characters] are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space.

I'll believe it when I see it.