Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Return of the Jedi -- 30th anniversary!

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VII and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars and the various rumoured TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie? (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

Various websites have posted the following clip, in which Siskel & Ebert defend Return of the Jedi against the accusation that it's bad for children, etc. Some of the references are interestingly dated (e.g. this film came out the same year that Ingmar Bergman released one of his last films; note also how Gene Siskel says the 2D Star Wars sequel is better than the 3D Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone; and, bizarrely enough, National Review critic John Simon says children should be taken to Tender Mercies instead):

Oh, and note how Ebert says Disney *should* be making Star Wars movies!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Tyler wrote:

: Bergman was still making movies 20 years after that clip.

He had directed over 50 before that clip, and he went on to direct another dozen or so afterwards (virtually all of which were made for TV, and virtually none of which had any sort of profile among North American critics -- only Sarabande made any sort of impression that I can recall). I think "one of his last" works well enough, in this context.

NBooth   

NPR's Code Switch on Diversity in Space

"There's ... too many of them," a Y-wing pilot says as Imperial ships overwhelm the Rebel fleet in the climactic space battle in Return of the Jedi.

This scene is important because we've just learned that the Rebels have been lured to the forest moon Endor by the Emperor — it's a trap! It's also important for another reason: This is the first line spoken by an Asian character in the original Star Wars movies.

It's a good read, tracing every appearance of Asian-[looking, since it's a Galaxy Far, Far Away] character in the franchise, starting with RotJ. Only mildly let down by the fact that NPR's comment-base can't get over the use of the word "Asian."

NBooth   

What's wrong with "Asian"? Would they rather NPR go back to using "Oriental"?

Because there's no Asia in the GFFA. So there can be no Asians.

I wish I was kidding.

Oh, I see. Everyone's upset because there's no "Asia" in a galaxy far, far away. Asia exists only on Earth. Sheesh.

Incidentally, NPR did find an Asian character even earlier than RotJ, i.e. in Cloud City, and thus in TESB. But RotJ was the first film in which an Asian character had any *dialogue*.

So, if the person who wrote the article had written, "It's also important for another reason: This is the first line spoken by an Asian actor in the original Star Wars movies.", would all be fine with the universe?

Edited by John Drew

Sad to hear of the passing of Richard Bonehill who played the Copilot of Lando in the Falcon as the brave Nien Nunb. It's odd but seeing as how Return of the Jedi was such a childhood staple of mine this really does hurt.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-star-wars-actor-richard-bonehill-214906