Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars spin-off movies

I'd be game for a Han Solo backstory, especially if its blended in with Chewbacca's, their early encounter and adventures.  Actually, I can't imagine why they wouldn't start with this.  Also, as mentioned, maybe some snippets of Boba Fett as a young man.  But yeah, not much other than that so far as characters go.  Yet I'd also be game with films that also touched on the development and history of some of the spacecraft in the series.

Maybe a backstory dedicated to Jar Jar Binks.

Attica wrote:

: I'd be game for a Han Solo backstory, especially if its blended in with Chewbacca's, their early encounter and adventures. Actually, I can't imagine why they wouldn't start with this.

Hmmm. How many actors have played a young Harrison Ford already? There are all the young Indiana Joneses, of course (Corey Carrier, River Phoenix and Sean Patrick Flanery). But any of his *other* characters...?

Ben Affleck? Kinda, except that Ford was already taking over from Alec Baldwin, and The Sum of All Fears was more of a reboot, so....

Attica wrote:

: I'd be game for a Han Solo backstory, especially if its blended in with Chewbacca's, their early encounter and adventures. Actually, I can't imagine why they wouldn't start with this.

Hmmm. How many actors have played a young Harrison Ford already? There are all the young Indiana Joneses, of course (Corey Carrier, River Phoenix and Sean Patrick Flanery). But any of his *other* characters...?

Here's another thought.  If they want Ford to take up the Han Solo role again, with any sort of action, then I expect they better be doing it soon.   He's not getting any younger and people were pretty impressed with what he pulled off in the last Indy flick, which will be, what, 7 or 8 years before this one is filmed.

I can imagine them telling a story about the old Han Solo, then in it moving back in time to his younger years.  Of course that could quite likely come across as lame in its construction, but wouldn't we all want to see some of both of these aspects of his life?

Yeah, I wouldn't count Affleck (or Pine), as those movies don't take place in the same universe as Ford's. (Baldwin's might, though, given the continuity of James Earl Jones's character in all three Baldwin/Ford films.)

Josh Trank, director of Chronicle and the Fantastic Four reboot, is also directing a spin-off movie.

I suggest giving each of these films their own threads once the titles are announced, and keeping this thread as a general discussion of the spin-off movies in general. (After all, any of these barely-announced films could be not-made in the end, you never know...)

And here I was thinking it was Frank.

Second time I've heard that today, so I looked it up. I knew it was a bad joke, but the answer still flew beneath my expectations.

Second time I've heard that today, so I looked it up. I knew it was a bad joke, but the answer still flew beneath my expectations.

I wish I could say I was sorry, but really I have no regrets.

tumblr_lmefgxwNa21qglqe6.gif

'Star Wars' Standalone Movie Loses Writer Gary Whitta (Exclusive)

Whitta was working with Gareth Edwards, the filmmaker behind last year’s Godzilla movie, on the project and completed a first draft. But he has now left the project, which will likely hire a new writer.

Hollywood Reporter, January 9

Tatiana Maslany, Rooney Mara Testing for 'Star Wars' Standalone Movie (Exclusive)

The first Star Wars standalone could come under attack from a clone.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Tatiana Maslany, the Canadian actress who stars as multiple replicants in BBC America's hit series Orphan Black, is testing for the female lead in the Star Wars spinoff that is being directed by Gareth Edwards.

Rooney Mara, who starred in the David Fincher version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, is also due to test this week among a handful of others, according to multiple sources.

Additionally Felicity Jones, who just received an Oscar nomination for best actress for her work in The Theory of Everything, is said to be on the want list, although there may be scheduling issues with Inferno, the Da Vinci Code sequel that Ron Howard is due to direct this spring and summer.

Plot and character details for the movie (will it focus on young Han Solo? Young Leia?) are being kept hidden deep in an R2 unit. Insiders say that reading and testing for the movie occurred in the U.K. in December and has now moved stateside.

At this stage, Lucasfilm has two Star Wars standalones in development, one with Edwards, the filmmaker behind last year's Godzilla movie, and Josh Trank. Only the Edwards one has a release date: Dec. 16, 2016. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, January 20

Gareth Edwards' spin-off movie will now be written by Chris Weitz, who (co-)wrote Antz, Nutty Professor II: The Klumps and Cinderella, (co-)directed American Pie, Down to Earth, About a Boy, The Golden Compass, The Twilight Saga: New Moon and A Better Life, and co-starred in Chuck & Buck and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

That's funny, as the earlier story treated Mara and Maslany as the front-runners and Jones as an also-ran.

Yeah, the last I heard sounded like they had chosen Maslany.

That's funny, as the earlier story treated Mara and Maslany as the front-runners and Jones as an also-ran.

Yeah, the last I heard sounded like they had chosen Maslany.

That's what an Oscar nomination does for you. Plus talent, of course - she's a very good actress. But at the moment she's also 'flavour of the month'. I don't know if the lead part in a Star Wars spin-off should really be the end result of awards glory, but that's how Hollywood rolls.

So I guess calling these spin-offs "Anthology" movies is really a thing, then. This is worse than Jar Jar.

Edited by NBooth