Christian musician/entertainer Carman diagnosed with cancer, three years to live.

Taken from his Facebook page.

I have delayed writing this but those of you I call friends and supporters, who have prayed for me and this ministry need to know about this new battle that lies ahead. One week ago I was diagnosed with Myeloma Cancer. It is incurable and I've been given a 3-4 year window of time. Tomorrow I go in for my first bone biopsy and the process will start. I used to go to movies in the afternoon, now I go see doctors. I write these things for a few reasons. First, I want to put an end to all the rumors. Second, I ask for your prayers. And 3rd, I want you all to know that I will continue to minister and win souls until I can't do it any longer. My life has always been about ministry. I have a call of God to touch lives with the gospel of Jesus Christ and that's what I will do until the Lord calls me home. Please, do not allow this facebook site to be an ongoing blog for cancer treatment remedy's. That would be depressing to everyone. If you have any insight you can message me personally. But I want to encourage you, if you can, to please come see me the next time I'm in your area. Bring someone who doesn't know the Lord or who needs to be healed. I will always pray for the sick and I'm also going to step up the intensity of my message at these events. I will not leave this world quietly and I want the devil to know that he put cancer on absolutely the wrong Italian. I have a few good years and before it's too late I want to see your faces, shake your hands and hug your necks. But mostly I want to see one of you get healed of what threatens your future and I really want to see someone you love come to Christ. Now lets get back to business, we have to work while its day for soon the night comes.

I love you all -C

I know his music is kinda laughable, but I do feel for the guy, and respect how he is taking this, with what seems to be good attitude.

I hope that things take a turn for the better with his treatments and stuff.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

If he hasn't had a bone marrow biopsy yet, he's just at the initial-diagnosis stage with multiple myeloma. 3-4 years is the median survival time with treatment. Results of the biopsy may help his doctor refine that estimate.

What I find heartening about his attitude in this paragraph is that although Carman evidently still believes in healing, there's no Pentecostal bravado about the prospect of Carman himself being miraculously healed of multiple myeloma. He's responding to his diagnosis more pragmatically than I might have expected ... admitting the possibility that he will die, and facing up to the implications.

A quick review of his Facebook feed indicates a few other recent health problems that might or might not be related to multiple myeloma.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

• 4 weeks later...

A more recent post from Carman's Facebook page:

I figured out what I'm gonna do. This stare down is a behind the scenes shot from the Champion movie. What it doesn't show is that before we shot this scene the other fighter pushed me and we came to real blows. The look on my face says it all. Once you determine your going to really fight then there is no backing down. In 1993 I toyed with the idea of doing a stadium. No Christian artist ever attempted, before or since to do a stadium and after I got there.... I knew why. I got tickets to see Garth Brooks at Texas Stadium and the place was scary, massive and intimidating. Like a city with huge bleachers around it. I'm a huge UFC fight fan. I never miss a fight on TV. I boxed, wrestled and even trained with the Gracie Family in California and know something about combat. Sometimes you have to stare down your opponent. Emphasis on the "down" part. You stare at your adversary until his size begins to go down..and down..and down. I did that with the stadium. I stood on the floor looked up and stared the building down until I believed I could beat it. 8 months later we had 72,000 and turned people away. I say that to say that I've staring "down" Myeloma Cancer for 3 weeks now and I believe I can take it on and beat it. The look on my face in this picture tells the story. I'm not doing Chemo for now. I'm going the natural route with a vengeance with a very competent NMD on my medical team. Through heavy doses of prayer, eating the foods God made and disciplining myself in every way I'm believing God I can beat this dreaded disease. I Owe it to The Lord and I owe it to you. Most folks don't have 16,000 people posting prayers for them. So yes, this time out I am that "show me" test for the forgotten souls who have all forms of Cancer and I will let them know somebody just like you, is praying for you too. I included a song for my brothers and sisters who are in the fight of their life with Satan and your trying to get to the winners circle. Those who need to keep fighting the good fight. Send it to someone you know who needs to be uplifted. Right now this disease has got me to where I can barely jog 100 yards before my legs start burning and give out. But that's just today...it's not tomorrow, because I'm determined to make Satan regret he ever messed with me. I love the new UFC woman's Champion, Rowdy Ronda Rousey when she said " I want to beat my opponent so bad that they never ask for a rematch". Let my situation inspire your faith for your healing or someone you love as I ask you to walk this rough road with me. It will have many ups and downs but if we stick together God will do something miraculous in all of us. "Lets get ready to Rumble"...Are you with me ?

That's more like the Carman I remember. I suppose, given what chemo does to one's quality of life, there's something to be said for seeking an alternative course of treatment, but I have no idea how effective said treatment might be for multiple myeloma, if at all.

I have to say that I personally can't reconcile Christian faith with Carman's passion for bloodsport. Never misses a UFC fight? Really? Maybe because combat is Carman's predominant spiritual metaphor?

Edited by mrmando

I have to say that I personally can't reconcile Christian faith with Carman's passion for bloodsport. Never misses a UFC fight? Really? Maybe because combat is Carman's predominant spiritual metaphor?

I have found that for Christians who dig on "spiritual warfare" metaphors an enjoyment of combat is something they go for.

To be a little honest...I am a bit disappointed that he only lasted three weeks before going full on performer Carman.

Edited by Thom Wade

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Well, it's his disease, not anyone else's. He should handle it the way he thinks best, and if that means "going full on performer Carman," I hope it works out for him. (After all, he's still not going the full-out "name it and claim it" route, as far as I can see.)

• 10 months later...

Wow. Thank God. What an unexpected turn...

After Cancer Resurrects Career, Christian Music Star Cured in Time for Tour

Less than a year after announcing his diagnosis with myeloma, an incurable form of cancer, Carman Licciardello now says he's cancer-free.

"They took tests (and there will be more) P.E.T., MRI, Bone biopsies ect [sic] and could find NO trace of Cancer," the former CCM star wrote on his Facebook page. "That's amazing. We're talking about drilling into your bone to search for a cancer cell and coming up empty."

The positive post comes less than a year after Carman, who garnered 10 platinum records before a 12-year hiatus from the Christian music scene, announced his diagnosis—and just in time for him to begin a major April tour prompted by fan response.

"I've had so many harsh things happen to me over the last 12 years, it was almost a situation that made sense," he wrote in his diagnosis announcement. Every Christian music label in the last 12 years had rejected him, Carman said, and none would even distribute his CDs for free, reported Religion News Service in noting how cancer resurrected Carman's career.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Praise the Lord! God is mighty over cancer, as I know from personal experience. He doesn't always heal - which I also know from personal experience - but He can and He does.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Well, I can't say that I've missed him, exactly, but I am mildly curious as to why Carman couldn't get a CCM record contract. I can't imagine that all CCM record companies suddenly developed taste, discernment and an aversion to profit.

A couple of years ago, before the cancer news broke, I do recall seeing a crudely photocopied poster for a Carman concert at a church in Ilwaco, which is a small beach town in the extreme southwest corner of Washington state, from which I inferred that Carman was still touring at that point, albeit on a small scale.  

• 1 month later...

Here's some great stuff from The Revealer. Artist/religion student Don Jolly got hold of some Carman videos, and oh boy: 

http://therevealer.org/archives/18967

http://therevealer.org/archives/19121

The media scholar Heather Hendershot, in her 2004 volume Shaking the World for Jesus, devotes several lucid chapters to the rise and transformation of Christian Contemporary Music (C.C.M.) in the latter half of the twentieth century. Naturally, she touches on Carman — as do her subjects. “I try to avoid Carman like the plague,” one unnamed professional in the Christian music industry told Hendershot. “I think he’s a heretic… His whole thing… I think it borders on prostitution of the gospel, quite frankly.”

Carman is rarely subtle, and his faith in the invisible is, ironically, never invisible itself. “Time2,” and Carman’s work as a whole, deliver an openly evangelical message with a maximum of flash and expended capitol. This, Hendershot argues, makes Carman the “most evangelical in theory and the least evangelical in practice” of any contemporary Christian musician. He preaches, exclusively, to the choir.

Edited by mrmando

• 7 years later...

I know I'm a little late on this, but I was just reading about him today on wikipedia wondering if he was working on anything new, when it said he had recently died last month. Now I'm not sure if anybody on here is a Carman fan or not but I know I am as well as my almost 54 year old sister, and to say I'm saddened and shocked would be an understatement. Ever since I heard my sister's old Carman tapes of the Absolute Best, Riot and Mission 3-16 I knew I was hooked, and even though the only CDs of his I ever bought for myself were the heart of a champion in 2000 and instrument of praise in 2007 I still consider myself a Carman fan to this day. To me he was one of those artists who refused to water down his faith and always injected biblical truth into his lyrics. Many songs of his like the champion, a witch's invitation, and there is a God spoke to me directly and helped to strengthen my faith through the years, and I still consider the song America again to be the best song he ever wrote. Love him or hate him (and I definitely loved him) Carman was a one of a kind artist and believer and I for one will miss him terribly.