I'm about the finish the audiobook of A Game of Thrones (my second time through the series), so all things Westeros (and Essos) are on my mind.

I've been wading through lots of interviews and convention reports these days, and it actually seems like Martin is making significant progress on The Winds of Winter. As he's mentioned in a recent Amazon interview, he's devoting most of his time to the book. He also unveiled two new chapters recently at a convention and, well, they sound incredible (link to a forum post that covers what happens. It's spoilery in a general sense, but also Awe. Some.).

I'm guessing (and really hoping) that he'll finish up the book and have it out by the end of 2014.

Also, here's the interview I mentioned earlier.

Prediction:

The Prince That Was Promised = Hot Pie.

Hahaha, I will believe this when I have the book in my grubby little paws. I haven't forgotten 2007 (and, let's be real, every year since then) when ADWD was Totally Coming Out This Year, I Promise.

My money's on

Gormless Jon Snow for the PTWP

Hahaha, I will believe this when I have the book in my grubby little paws. I haven't forgotten 2007 (and, let's be real, every year since then) when ADWD was Totally Coming Out This Year, I Promise.

Yeeeeeeeeeah. I'm probably being too optimistic. I genuinely believe that the roadblock (or, Meereenese knot) is no longer a problem. But even he said it'll be out when it's out.

Book talk. I think you're right, Anna. I'm really interested in what's going on in Meereen, and I have a feeling that the cast of POV characters in Essos is going to drop a bit soon.

Aw, shoot. Now I forget where everyone is. What's happening in Essos, and with whom? ETA: Oh yeah Essos is Non-Westeros. Oop @ me.

Meereen fills me with so much dread. That whole thing is a fustercluck of epic proportions.

Theory and speculation time!

Jon Snow will warg into Ghost for awhile and maybe get a new body somehow

Dany will take Jorah back

Stannis will bite it before the end

Sansa will come in to her own and switch from defense to offense in the game of thrones (Queen of the North!)

I've literally just started A GAME OF THRONES this past week (I'm planning on reading the book, watching a series, and so on, as per my brother's suggestion). So, perhaps I'll be reading this one not long after it comes out.

I've literally just started A GAME OF THRONES this past week (I'm planning on reading the book, watching a series, and so on, as per my brother's suggestion). So, perhaps I'll be reading this one not long after it comes out.

That's a smart way to do it. Hope you like the series.

Anna: good speculations, all.

I have a feeling Arya is going to be hired to kill someone she knows and maybe loves.

Betcha the Horn of Winter was the normal-sized horn Sam found at the Fist of the First Men.

Also betcha Darkstar turns out to be way less badass than his name implies.

I spent a depressing amount of time wading through "who is the best warrior in Westeros"-type threads on various forums. A lot of people seem to be pulling for Garlan Tyrell, who I forgot existed until last week.

I didn't even know Garlan Tyrell existed at all.

I agree with all your speculations.

Who do you think Arya will have to whack? Also I forget who Darkstar is.

Garlan is Loras's older brother. I remembered that he was hanging around in A Storm of Swords, and seemed genuinely friendly to Sansa and others. Loras mentions (I believe) that Garlan is the better fighter of the two, and (I think?) Garlan trains against three sparing partners at the same time. If Loras says someone is a better fighter than him, I believe him.

Darkstar is a Dayne. He was part of Arianne Martell's posse, and inexplicably tried to assassinate little princess Myrcella, disfiguring her. I have a feeling he's a total poser.

As for Arya, I think it's going to be Sansa, Bran, or UnJon. But that's just speculation based on Martin's bittersweet way of tying things together; Jon was always the kindest to her.

Edited by Jason Panella

Hahaha, I forget so much about this series.

I do think GRRM is going in a much more tragic direction for Arya than "kickass little girl eschews gender roles and saves the kingdom!"

I know popular theory is that Bran will be a dragon rider, because obviously it fits, but I think it's too obvious. Perhaps warg into a dragon?

Who do you think is going to be the next major beloved character to get offed? I said Stannis, but he's not really a Fan Favorite.

I've seen some people suggest that Bran might just stay in the north as a greenseer and not do anything for the rest of the series. That would kind of a lame way to wrap things up for Bran, but I could see that happening, and it makes me laugh.

As far as character deaths: I think Barristan is toast, though I really hope he makes it. I don't know if he's as beloved as Jon or that major of a character, but he is POV at this point. I'd love to see Theon redeem himself some more, but I think his clock is ticking too.

Has Martin finished the novel? [savedYouAClick version: probably not]

Asked by one user is he was “able to read an advance copy of Book 6 of Game of Thrones to prepare for directing next season’s episodes?” Bender, under the alias MrJackBender, replied: “Yes”.

The response has sent the Game of Thrones rumour mill into overdrive, with many interpreting Bender’s reply as proof that George RR Martin has indeed finally finished his long anticipated sixth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

But, according to fan site Watchers on The Wall, Bender’s comments have been interpreted incorrectly and the director was allegedly referring to the season six outline instead.
Edited by NBooth