Sign in to follow this  
Christian

B&B Fan ... or Foe?

I just finished reading two articles on the B&B experience -- one pro, one con -- from tomorrow's Travel section of The Washington Post. I consider myself a fan, if not a frequenter, of the B&B, but the "con" article -- maybe because I read it first -- lands some serious punches. Both pieces are worth reading. What's your take on B&Bs? Fan or foe?

My Love Affair With the B&B

Confessions of a B&B Critic

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Yes! We think of the B&B option as a lottery. And sometimes you can really hit the jackpot.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Is foe the opposite of fan? Do you either like to stay at B&Bs or wish to vanquish them in battle?

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

"B&B: Fan or Critic?" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I've only ever been to one, but it was a fantastic experience.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth