Sign in to follow this  
Darryl A. Armstrong

Mars One

Over 20,000 people have already applied to be part of the Mars One project - a one way trip to Mars in the hope of setting up a permanent colony there with 24 people.

Our first "real" attempt to colonize another planet...

"The organization plans to have people vote on TV for the candidates they like the best. So yes, this process seems more reality show than "Right Stuff." In fact, over the span of a two-year televised competition, viewers will help sift through the candidates until 24 are chosen.

"'Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria,' said Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical director and a former NASA senior researcher, in a statement."

...and we're gonna base our selections on a reality TV format.

The prospect of space colonization is actually very exciting to me. I'm very concerned that such a selection process will have some serious negative consequences if this project actually comes to fruition. A total of 24 people on a one-way trip selected by "us" is going to make us very attached - which I assume is what they're aiming for to generate support. But when something goes wrong (and, let's be honest - most likely something will go wrong), we're going to have collective guilt over the whole thing and who knows how far or how long that could set us back.

...the mission managers have invited the public to submit literary messages that could be tucked into a DVD that will go with the craft.

Why are we sending a DVD to Mars? Everyone knows Martians have already adopted the largely disregarded Earth technology known as HD DVD.

NBooth   

If this colony isn't called "Bowie Base One," I will lose all faith in the human species.