I could not find a thread dedicated to this film. Here is a link to a podcast on the film with some general discussion of Rossellini.

SHOW NOTES:

0:00 – Intro to Rossellini.

3:30 – Plot summary and Karin’s shifting story.

07:25 – Isaiah 65:1.

15:51 – Timeliness.

20:06 – How to read the ending.

28:30 – Is Karin unlikable?

33:30 – Getting back to the end.

41:20 – Where to watch the film.

• 8 months later...

This seems like the best place to put this.

I walked into my library today, and in the recently acquired DVDs section, I saw the new Criterions of Stromboli and Journey to ItalyEurope '51 was checked out.  I instantly grabbed Stromboli and Journey to Italy, and I put Europe '51 on hold.

I know the three films form a trilogy, but is it necessary to watch them in order, or is the trilogy a stylistic and thematic connection akin to The Three Colors Trilogy?  I ask in case Europe '51 takes awhile to come in.  Also, there are two versions of Stromboli, an English one and an Italian one.  Am I right in assuming the Italian one is superior?  IMDB says it's in English and Italian, so I'm not sure which version would be preferable.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro