Sign in to follow this  
yank_eh

Kanye West - Yeezus

Imma let you finish, but those are some of the most damning reviews of all time!

I was just talking to someone about this the other day -- it seems like while his music has been incredibly creative and innovative over the years, his lyrics have gotten worse and worse -- not just in terms of misogyny, but honestly just not as well-written.

Did he leak the album early to make sure his daughter wouldn't upstage him?

Not even sure if I'm kidding.

Imma let you finish, but those are some of the most damning reviews of all time!

Damning, sure, but I wouldn't really think of them as reviews.

I prioritize musical creativity and innovation above most other things, maybe even especially including lyrics (a lot of the artists I like most have lyrics that are rather inscrutable), but the lyrics here are problematic at best, blasphemous at worst. Still, I fully expect that it'll do well critically.

Edited by bloop

Listening to the album this morning. I wish I could dismiss it, but I can't. I'm a longtime Kanye fan (since THE COLLEGE DROPOUT), and there are times that I want to just disown my love of his work based on his ego, the tabloid garbage, and the batshit things he says. This review from Vish Khanna at exclaim.ca which I posted on Facebook sums it up for me:

""There's leaders and there's followers," Ye states on the pulsing, simmer-to-boil rage of "New Slaves," and he's so the former — the most significant artistic force in music right now — which is vexing because he acts like such an asshole."

Didn't think much of this album. The sampling never meshed with his own work as well as it could have and here the lyrics seem to not only be self-aware, but almost unabashedly arrogant and proud. His last album had a ting of regret and even a bit of humility at times, this one just seems to revel in all of West's dark, twisted fantasies without even undercutting them.

Granted, this is just my gut impressions.

I haven't heard anything from it, but West instantly earned respect from me for sampling Gil Scott-Heron and KING CRIMSON on MBDTF. (I'm a nerd.) Never really cared for him on a non-production level, however, but I'm just not really a rap listener.