Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

Joan of Arcadia

My wife put the first two seasons of Joan in our Netflix queue, and I've been enjoying them (I had seen a few already, but the story is easier to get into with a few episodes at a time and no commericials.).

Is Season 2 out on DVD? I've never seen it, and I couldn't find it on Netflix nor Amazon. Please tell me that's not just a typo.

My bad. It's not both seasons . . . just the first one. I don't think the second is out yet, from what I can tell. Not on Netflix, anyway.

Just in time for Christmas, Season 2 of Joan of Arcadia is scheduled to release in November, according to TVShowsonDVD.com

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I still remember a line from one episode, when God is speaking to Joan as a street-lamp bulb changer. He tells her to do something, and she responds:

Joan: "Isn't that a little anti-climatic?"

God: "You mean 'anticlimactic.' 'Anti-climatic' means you're opposed to the weather."

LOL!

You go, God!

Hm, that would make a good sig too :) But I just changed mine last week to the Joan quote it is now, as below:

Looks like they finally released Season 2 on DVD. Out today.

Great news! Lindsay and I watched season one on netflix recently and were disappointed to discover season two was not available. It looks like we'll be adding it to our que asap - after season six of Alias of course.

Recently I was hoping to use Joan of Arcadia as a discussion point for Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers on how God reveals himself to his people today. We were studying Abraham. To my dismay I couldn't rent it anywhere in town, my only hope was Netflix, which just didn't give me enough turn around.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

So my wife and I are watching the second season of JoA, which only recently became available on DVD. So far, here are my observations:

* The first season was better

* I had already seen about half of the episodes from the second season

* After a couple of Gilmore Girls marathons earlier in the year, JoA seems clunky and loooong to sit through. What makes Gilmore Girls so good

So we finished the second season, which we hadn't see the second half of prior to this month.

The last four episodes were stronger than the previous second season episodes, although the last two were a bit strange. The music in both of the last two was, well, over-dramatic? Not too mention very wierd compared to the rest of the series.

My wife thought it pretty obvious they didn't expect the show to get cut; I thought that it ended a little more gracefully than I expected knowing it was cut short. Halfway through the second season I began feeling the need to see some new devices (I got really tired of God's wave, mostly because this same trait was applied to all different "Gods." I understand how this was probably supposed to function in a good way, but for some reason it didn't in the end . . . ) and characters (which the last episode did introduce).

Watching the end of Joan of Arcadia was something akin to reading the shorter ending of Mark or reaching the conclusion of Acts. It's abruptness was frustrating, yet it was somehow effective at the same time. I didn't need to be told what would happen in Joan of Arcadia - my theology tells me God will triumph. Of course, in my theology, unlike Arcadia, there is room for Jesus Christ.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

So my wife and I are watching the second season of JoA, which only recently became available on DVD. So far, here are my observations:

* The first season was better

* I had already seen about half of the episodes from the second season

* After a couple of Gilmore Girls marathons earlier in the year, JoA seems clunky and loooong to sit through. What makes Gilmore Girls so good

The only observation I can add is that Joan cries a lot. Everytime any character asks her what is wrong, I always think, "Don't you pay attention? This chick cries all of the time."

I suppose she did, but as my wife also "wears her heart on her sleeve" (and is also defiencies in the "happy hormones") I maybe didn't notice the constant crying, maybe used to it ;)