Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Cruella

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Enchanted 2 (in development), Alice in Wonderland (2010), Alice in Wonderland 2 (in development), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015) and The Jungle Book (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

- - -

Disney Preps Live-Action Cruella de Vil Film (Exclusive)

After making a movie centered on Maleficent, the villainess from Sleeping Beauty, Disney is setting its sights on another bad lady: Cruella de Vil.

Aline Brosh McKenna has been hired to pen Cruella, which will bring the dog-fur-loving fashionista from 101 Dalmatians into a live-action feature to be produced by Andrew Gunn, who produced Sky High and Bedtime Stories for the studio. McKenna will also produce.

De Vil first appeared in Dodie Smith's 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians but became a Disney icon with the 1961 animated movie. And it's not the character's first incarnation in a live-action feature. Glenn Close memorably played the character in 1996's 101 Dalmatians and the 2000 sequel, 102 Dalmatians.

In fact, Close is in involved with Cruella, acting as an executive producer. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, September 30

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

SDG wrote:

: Hearts (2023), a prequel to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

I am torn between two replies: "Yes!!" and "Don't give them any ideas!!"

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Disney's continuing roster:

• Ursula (2017)
  • Yzma (2020)
  • Hearts (2023), a prequel to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

I'm waiting for the origin story of this guy. Starring The Rock.

fantasia_movie_image_6.jpg

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'm waiting for the origin story of this guy. Starring The Rock.

I was sticking with the theme of revisionist quasi-feminist fairy-tales putting the villainess in the spotlight (Maleficient and Cruella, in the grand tradition of Wicked)

(It's not that I don't appreciate Chernabog. After all, I did this.)

Related: Which Disney villain is the most evil?

: Hearts (2023), a prequel to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

I am torn between two replies: "Yes!!" and "Don't give them any ideas!!"

smile.png

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Being written by Jez Butterworth (SPECTRE, Edge of Tomorrow, Get on Up, Black Mass, Robopocalypse).

‘Cruella’ Live-Action Movie Starring Emma Stone Finds Director
“Mozart in the Jungle” writer and director Alex Timbers is in negotiations to direct “Cruella,” the origin tale of the classic Disney villain, starring Emma Stone. . . .
Disney considered a slew of directors for the movie, including a handful of theater helmers, like Sam Gold, before turning to Timbers. . . .
Best known for his work on Broadway, the two-time Tony nominee’s theater credits include an adaptation of the boxing classic “Rocky” and “Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson,” which earned him a Tony nomination.
In addition to his work on Amazon’s “Mozart in the Jungle,” Timbers has also been developing several film projects, including an untitled William Shakespeare musical for Disney.
Variety, December 14