Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Little Women

Sony Sets Up ‘Little Women’ Adaptation with Olivia Milch Writing (EXCLUSIVE)

Sony Pictures has set up a new adaptation of “Little Women,” bringing on Olivia Milch to pen the script.

Denise Di Novi and Robin Swicord are producing the latest version of Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel about four sisters growing up after the Civil War.

The most recent film adaptation was Gillian Armstrong’s 1994 version, which Sony was also a part of, with a cast that included Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst and a very young Christian Bale. That pic made $95 million at the worldwide box office and landed three Oscar nominations including one for Ryder in the lead actress category. Earlier versions starred Katharine Hepburn (1933) and Elizabeth Taylor (1949, pictured). . . .

Variety, October 23

So. Am. I.

Olivia Milch is the daughter of David Milch, by the way. As far as I can tell, this will be the first thing she's written.

There's a TV series on the way. It doesn't deserve its own thread, but I need to share my joy in its existence:

Written by Jolly, Little Women is described as a hyper-stylized, gritty adaptation of the 1868 novel by Louisa May Alcott, in which disparate half-sisters Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy band together in order to survive the dystopic streets of Philadelphia and unravel a conspiracy that stretches far beyond anything they have ever imagined – all while trying not to kill each other in the process.

Of course, Alcott made her bread writing gritty stories, so it's not like this is a total departure. But the fact that someone looked at Little Women and said "Y'know, this really needs to be a post-apocalyptic thriller" makes me happier, perhaps, than it should.

EDIT: We now have a thread on it.

Edited by NBooth