kenmorefield

A better film about...

112 posts in this topic

About Time is a better version of Primer.

This doesn't strike me as a very meaningful comparison. Those films are about as different from each other as time travel stories can be. Primer is cerebral hard science fiction where complexity and difficulty of comprehension is part of its aesthetic; About Time is an easygoing romantic comedy where rigorous logic isn't even a priority.

I would say Chef is a better version of Begin Again, with apologies to those who would put it the other way.

Edited by Rushmore

Ghost in the Shell is a better version of The Matrix.

Also, hearkening back to this:

The Seventh Seal is a better version of The Book Thief. (a much, much, MUCH better version)

The Virgin Spring is a better version of Last House on the Left (either version).  (a much, much, MUCH better version)  biggrin.png

Persona is a better version of Black Swan. (same degree of muchness implied).

Fanny and Alexander is a much, much, MUCH better version of Boyhood.

When Harry Met Sally is a better version of What If.

I'm going to take the dissenting side on both counts. (That the two are really thematically similar and that WHMS is the better of the two films.) Of course, I'm not a huge WHMS fan, but I thought What If a marginally better film.

I'm going to take the dissenting side on both counts. (That the two are really thematically similar and that WHMS is the better of the two films.) Of course, I'm not a huge WHMS fan, but I thought What If a marginally better film.

Both films are about close, supposedly platonic male/female friendships in which both parties are in denial that they are attracted to the other.  And at least one character in both films argues that men and women can't be friends because the sex part gets in the way.  Admittedly, Wallace and Harry are not really similar at all, but What If still reminded me of WHMS.

One of the differences I noted in When Harry Met Sally and What If was a generational thing. WHMS takes a lifetime for them to conclude they belong together. What If gets it done in a year and everything blossoms for them.  WHMS is the Boomer version of the story, What If is the Millennial version

I was thinking of saying something about Broken Circle Breakdown and The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them, but damned if I can figure out which is the better version.

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him and Her is a better version of The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them.

Snowpiercer and The Hunger Games (either film) are all better versions of The Maze Runner.

Escape From Tomorrow is a better version of The Maze Runner too.

The Congress is a better version of Birdman.

Sunset Boulevard is a better version of The Congress.

The Big Lebowski is a better version of Inherent Vice.

The Rover is a better version of John Wick.

I heard someone suggest it was a better version of Philomena.

I would have said Philomena was the better version of Woman in Gold...

Haven't seen WiG, so I can't say. 

I'm still mulling over this film, and I'm not sure how successful I think it is, but I know I liked it better than two other films which it reminded me of, so...

Ex Machina is a better version of Under the Skin and also a better version of Her. (especially Her)

I'm still mulling over this film, and I'm not sure how successful I think it is, but I know I liked it better than two other films which it reminded me of, so...

Ex Machina is a better version of Under the Skin and also a better version of Her. (especially Her)

I'm going to disagree with you on that one, Evan, both in terms of relative qualities and in implied assertion that UtS and EM are sufficiently similar to fit this category.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one, Evan, both in terms of relative qualities and in implied assertion that UtS and EM are sufficiently similar to fit this category.

It was the second half of Ex Machina, primarily

how the non-human entity takes on the appearance of an attractive woman to seduce an unsuspecting man into being a stepping stone for her plan.

As to which one's better, well right now it's close for me, but on a first viewing I'm going with Ex Machina.

A Woman Under the Influence is a better version of Infinitely Polar Bear. Well, that's not quite right. IPB is more like A Woman Under the Influence combined with a version of The Shining where Jack has the personality of an overeager puppy who just wants to be loved.

Edited by Rushmore

Fight Club is a better version of Mistress America.

Joan of Arcadia is a better version of The Shack.

Fish Tank is a much, MUCH better version of The Diary of a Teenage Girl.