Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Logan (aka Wolverine 3)

18 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on X-Men: The Last Stand (2006), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009), X-Men: First Class (2011), The Wolverine (2013), X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), Deadpool (2016), X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), Gambit (in development) and X-Men: The New Mutants (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on X-Men (2000) or X2: X-Men United (2003).

- - -

James Mangold, Hugh Jackman Sinking Claws Into Another ‘The Wolverine’ Film
EXCLUSIVE: Twentieth Century Fox has begun negotiations with James Mangold to return for another installment of The Wolverine, with Hugh Jackman bringing back his signature character with the razor sharp adamantium hooks. This comes after The Wolverine played very strongly overseas, enough to now sit as the second highest grossing X-Men film of all time. The film has grossed $413 million worldwide, with $132 million domestic and $280 million in international revenue.
Here’s where it is right now. Mangold is making a deal to write the treatment, with X-Men franchise matriarch Lauren Shuler Donner producing. The storyline is being kept under tight wraps. . . .
Deadline.com, November 5

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Matt Singer just announced that, until anybody says otherwise, the new movie will be called The Twolverine.

The girl in the trailer (also the other hand in the poster) is apparently X-23.

A Johnny Cash song on the trailer for the second Wolverine film from the director of Walk the Line. Hmmm.

The "international" version of the trailer includes an extra R-rated shot.

43 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

The "international" version of the trailer includes an extra R-rated shot.

Is it just me, or is Jackman starting to look like Mel Gibson in this film? Maybe it's the hair and the beard. But now I'm wanting to see Mel Gibson in this movie.

Its UNFORGIVEN meets THE X-MEN.  "We all got it comin', Charles."

Interesting choice of song.

Just got back from watching this. Really enjoyed it - a fitting end to Hugh Jackman's role as Wolverine.

So, like, this is what the DC Comics people would refer to as an "Elseworlds" story, right?

It clearly isn't taking place on the timeline of the first six X-Men movies, because that timeline came to an abrupt end in 2023, and *this* film takes place in 2029.

But can it be taking place on the rebooted timeline (which currently consists of First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, plus whatever pre-1973 flashbacks the other movies had)?

I ask because Days of Future Past ended with a "happy ever after" set in 2023, in which pretty much everyone who died on the first timeline is alive again, and Professor X has a levitating chair, etc., etc. Logan, on the other hand, takes place six years after that "happy ever after" and features a world in which virtually all of the X-Men are dead, and the few who aren't are dying. And Professor X has a crappy regular wheelchair again. (Plus we are told that Professor X's dementia had disastrous consequences one year earlier, in 2028.) If we take this film to be part of the same timeline, then the "happy ever after" in Days of Future Past has been completely undone, and then some.

But wait: apparently Logan also tells us that no mutants have been born for something like 25 years? So, no new mutants since 2004? How old were the students in Professor X's school in the "happy ever after" that we saw in 2023? Were *none* of them under 19?

Less problematic, to me, is the fact that Logan and Professor X talk about certain events from the first movie (e.g., finding Logan when he was a cage fighter, an incident that took place at the Statue of Liberty). Yes, that movie never happened any more, but something like it *could* have happened. Plus, the Wolverine who woke up in the "happy ever after" version of 2023 had memories of the *first* timeline's past but not the "happy ever after" timeline's past, and I assume he shared these memories with Professor X. So there are multiple ways of addressing these references to the first film even if we *don't* write the new movie off as an "Elseworlds" kind of story.

I rather didn't like it, or at least had very mixed feelings, mostly due to its constant throwbacks to earlier, better films:

One can call Logan a lot of things, but “original” really isn’t one of them. There’s even an extended moment with a cell phone video used for exposition of the narrative which reminded me far too much of a similar scene in Batman V. Superman. I’m also reminded of critics and audiences decrying La La Land for its callbacks and parallels with Hollywood musicals and Jacques Demy’s films, as if those riffs and connections were an inherent weakness. While I generally disagree with that criticism for La La Land, I do wonder if it applies here with Logan, a film which only feels unique and original when juxtaposed with the MCU Movie Machine and the DC Film debacles. As a Western, as a dystopian sci-fi, or as an action film, Logan is, at best, average. Compared to many of the Marvel or DC films as of late, and definitely contrasted with any other Wolverine film, Logan feels refreshing, albeit remarkably bleak.