Overstreet

Fifty Shades of Grey

I was kind of glad to discover that there's no thread on Fifty Shades of Grey.

But then, there has to be one, just so I can quote this bit from an interview with Guillermo del Toro, which is fantastic:

Daily Beast: With Pacific Rim, you were the first one to really cast Charlie Hunnam as the lead in a big Hollywood film, so you must have seen something special in him. Do you think he made the right move dropping out of Fifty Shades of Grey?

Del Toro: I can only say that wise people make wise decisions, and Charlie is a really wise human being.

That made me laugh out loud.

But then he went on.

He’s a very deep thinker, he has a very good soul, and I love him like a younger, much better-looking brother. I’m sure he thought about it long and hard.

Edited by Overstreet

Anodos   

I have a new hero.

Neighbors at the building were upset over the noise and water flying everywhere. An older man continued to ruin scenes by opening his window and shaking a cowbell.

I didn't know Christopher Walken lives in Vancouver...

NBooth   

Well, since we have  a thread, here's the trailer:

Cracked articulates why the movie is destined to be awful. 

And Matt Walsh weighs in (not in response to Cracked):

Please do not underestimate the significance of this. Here, now, you have been given the opportunity to grab ahold of our society and drag it back from the precipice. You cannot cure all of our ills, but, if you answer the call, you can at least help us take one small step toward peace and prosperity.

This is truly a seminal moment in our history. The weight of our future, our children’s future, our children’s children’s future, partially rests on the decision you are facing. Your task, ladies, is simple. All you must do is not buy tickets to 50 Shades of Grey when it’s released in theaters on Valentine’s Day.

And there's this gem:

Are we sure E.L. James isn’t Bill Clinton’s penname? Does John Edwards have a co-writing credit on this thing? I haven’t checked, but I’m half expecting Woody Allen or Roman Polanski to be listed on IMDb as executive producers.

There. I needed my blood pressure up. I think that does it.

I'm almost hoping Fifty Shades is unexpectedly brilliant. It won't be, but a fella can dream.

EDIT: Here's a more interesting take, courtesy LARB:

SHOULDN'T WE ALL feel a little embarrassed about the fuss we made over 50 Shades of Grey? I don’t mean the book’s fans. I mean the anti-; the book’s critics; all of us who committed time and energy to blog posts and commentary and long essays attacking E. L. James’s novel. The focus and outrage we brought to the 50 Shades backlash was remarkable, as though we were not so much critiquing a bad book as fighting a war. The situation seemed so grave. If millions and millions of women were getting off on the idea of being sexually subjugated; if the secret fantasy buried in us all is that we meet a very rich man who’ll spank us — is this the end of feminism? Is society as a whole doomed? Obviously! We must fight this scourge, we all agreed. With our opinions.

[snip]

The constant questioning, the incessant evaluation, is exhausting. Maybe we can read 50 Shades’s popularity less as the sign of feminism’s failure than as a response to the constant anxiety about what women’s choices mean: given all the interrogating, no wonder so many women fantasize about someone just telling them what to do. How pleasant, to have a break from the opinion polls and commentary about what your individual choices mean for women everywhere and the feature articles on how you should be doing that thing you are doing differently because it is harming your children/feminism/marriage potential.

Edited by NBooth

Until reading the above post, all I knew was the title of the book but not the author's name.  Imagine my horror when the first thought that ran through my mind upon seeing the author's name was,

"The writer of Ragtime and Billy Bathgate wrote this?!?!" 

Big sigh of relief when my faculties kicked in.

Edited by John Drew

Well, since we have  a thread, here's the trailer:

I've seen this trailer advertised as being "steamy" all over the internet. Something that tame actually passes for steamy these days? Edited by Ryan H.

NBooth   

I'm not punning when I say that I've seen steamier shampoo ads.

NBooth wrote:
: I'm not punning when I say that I've seen steamier shampoo ads.

I've certainly seen steamier shampoo ads myself. But then, I've been to Germany.

Tyler   

I'd call it 50 Shades of Competition, but they didn't consult me, so:

From the makers of God's Not Dead, it's Old Fashioned, also scheduled for a Valentine's Day 2015 release.

“I wanted to tell a love story that takes the idea of Godly romance seriously,” said Rik Swartzwelder, writer-director and lead actor.  “A story that, without apology, explores the possibility of a higher standard in relationships; yet, is also fully aware of just how fragile we all are and doesn’t seek to heap guilt upon those of us that have made mistakes.”

Swartzwelder plays a former frat boy and Elizabeth Ann Roberts will portray a free-spirited woman. The tagline is “Chivalry makes a comeback.”

Co-president Mark Borde asserted “Old Fashioned” is the first faith-based theatrical release to specifically target the “underserved” Christian singles audience.

So yeah, I'm theoretically the core target audience for Old Fashioned. I'd be more likely to check out the Poltergeist reboot, which is also opening the same day.

Huh. I know Swartzwelder, but haven't talked to him in a while. Time to reconnect.

I've been surprised by the number of friends and colleagues who have openly admitted that they're going to see this film opening weekend. A group of critics is getting together before tomorrow's advance screening for dinner -- I was invited but am not planning to see the film -- and I can sort of get the "we're critics who have to see this" meme, even though I don't know they'll all be reviewing the film. I get the sense that many are anticipating a "hate watch," but several of the colleagues are seeing the film with their spouses. It's like date night, ya know? 

For some reason I'm more surprised that more married couples in my circles are planning to see the film than are dating couples, although that's strictly anecdotal. 

But overall, I'm surprised anyone would openly admit, and sometimes just make a passing comment, that they'll be seeing this film over the weekend. It seems more like the kind of film people would choose to watch at home rather than in a public theater. 

I've had the same puzzled reaction ever since reading, last year, that this film is expected to be one of the top grossers in 2015, if not the top grosser. But what do I know?

Edited by Christian

NBooth   

Given the number of [non-critic] people I've seen in my own circles ostentatiously declaring that they won't  be seeing the movie, it seems like Fifty Shades has morphed into one of those movies that one talks about seeing/not seeing ("one of those"? I'm trying to think of another example, but all the possibles--Showgirls, Caligula, Deep Throat--are pre-Facebook, so I'm not sure of the mechanics of ostentatious viewing/not-viewing). It's a thing now, whether it winds up being good (ha!) or not.

Considering how milquetoast every single clip and trailer has been, I agree that it's puzzling, to say the least.

Kinch   

I'm almost hoping Fifty Shades is unexpectedly brilliant. It won't be, but a fella can dream.

At the other end, I'm almost expecting that this will be so ridiculous that I'll be able to take The Night Porter seriously.

I've been joking to myself the last few days that some will defend this in the manner that critics I legitimately respect (such as Rosenbaum and Jacques Rivette) praise Showgirls. I am absolutely certain, however, that no line of dialogue here will ever top "then everybody got AIDS and sh*t".

P.S. I started typing this before NBooth posted his reply. Didn't ride the Showgirls tangent from him.

Edited by Kinch

NBooth   

At the other end, I'm almost expecting that this will be so ridiculous that I'll be able to take The Night Porter seriously.

Next A&F list: movies you should watch instead of Fifty Shades. I'll go ahead and nominate Salò. And I'll be sure to recommend it to anyone who comes out of Fifty Shades raving about how much they love the flick.

Edited by NBooth

Christian, being a film critic kinda gives you cover for idle curiosity...like when we all went to see Brokeback Mountain...

Evan C   

Next A&F list: movies you should watch instead of Fifty Shades. I'll go ahead and nominate Salò. And I'll be sure to recommend it to anyone who comes out of Fifty Shades raving about how much they love the flick.

I'm thinking of doing that with Eyes Wide Shut, Cries and Whispers, and Blue Velvet, and maybe Wolf of Wall Street and Funny Games as well.

(Not really, but it would be so much fun.)

Edited by Evan C

Kinch   

I'm thinking of doing that with Eyes Wide Shut, Cries and Whispers, and Blue Velvet, and maybe Wolf of Wall Street and Funny Games as well.

(Not really, but it would be so much fun.)

Don't forget Irreversible!

Christian, being a film critic kinda gives you cover for idle curiosity...like when we all went to see Brokeback Mountain...

Hey, man: I was assigned to see that one. :)