Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Pan (2015)

Links to our film-related threads on Peter Pan (2003), Finding Neverland (2004), Neverland (2011), Tink (in development), Neverland (in development), Pan (in development) and Peter and the Starcatchers (in development).

Link to our book-related thread on Peter Pan in Scarlet (2006).

Links to our threads on previous Joe Wright films Pride & Prejudice (2005), Atonement (2007), The Soloist (2009), Hanna (2011) and Anna Karenina (2012).

- - -

Joe Wright In Talks To Helm ‘Pan’ For Warner Bros
EXCLUSIVE: Joe Wright is negotiating to direct Pan, the Jason Fuchs-scripted take on the Peter Pan myth. This is all just coming together. Greg Berlanti is producing under his Berlanti Productions banner. Sarah Schechter is the executive on the adaptation of the J.M. Barrie classic tale.
An orphan is taken to the magical world of Neverland, where he becomes the savior of the natives and leads a rebellion against the evil pirates. . . .
Deadline.com, November 11

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily? Not sure how that fits with Joe Wright's plan "to create a world that is very international and multi-racial, effectively challenging audiences’ preconceived notions of Neverland and reimagining the environment," since Mara is about as Native American as Johnny Depp.

Also:

The film is expected to star Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard and Garrett Hedlund as Captain Hook.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Not sure how that fits with Joe Wright's plan "to create a world that very international and multi-racial, effectively challenging audiences’ preconceived notions of Neverland and reimagining the environment," since Mara is about as Native American as Johnny Depp.

You keep saying these things here on A&F before I can tweet them.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I don't know. The trippy, densely packed "space" environment is nifty, but...I wish there was something more to reassure us it won't be Hook.

It sounds bizarre to say I'll see this because I liked the director's Pride and Prejudice and Anna Karenina, but that's the truth.

Good Lord. A Prophesied Chosen One story. Peter Pan is now Harry Potter. Because everyone must walk the Hero's Journey. So much for wanting always to be a little boy and have fun. 

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

SDG wrote:
: Good Lord. A Prophesied Chosen One story. Peter Pan is now Harry Potter.

More of a Neo, I think, since he's being positioned here as the "return" of someone else. Plus it looks like he'll prove his chosenness in the end by flying.

Good Lord. A Prophesied Chosen One story. Peter Pan is now Harry Potter. Because everyone must walk the Hero's Journey. So much for wanting always to be a little boy and have fun.

Is this entirely out of keeping with the spirit of the original? It's been a while since I've read it, but didn't Peter have, if not a prophetic, a strongly fatalistic sense of the battle between him and Hook? At any rate, part of being a boy like Peter is a highly dramatic sense of life. So a prophecy about Peter doesn't strike me as absurd, as long as Peter doesn't take it too seriously - or not for too long.

Edited by Rushmore

Just for the sake of clarity, I don't think Jackman said anything in that interview that contradicted his earlier comments about how his father wishes he would go to church (which, at the time at least, Jackman didn't):

"We’ve had discussions about our separate beliefs. I just find the evangelical church too, well, restrictive. But the School of Practical Philosophy is nonconfrontational. We believe there are many forms of Scripture. What is true is true and will never change, whether it’s in the Bible or in Shakespeare. It’s about oneness. Its basic philosophy is that if the Buddha and Krishna and Jesus were all at a dinner table together, they wouldn’t be arguing. There is an essential truth. And we are limitless."

Jackman's self-identification as a Christian in this more-recent interview might mean nothing more than that he was raised as one. I don't mean to cast aspersions on his self-identification, I just don't want people to make more out of it than Jackman intended.