Sign in to follow this  
Account Removed

Mississippi Burning

Today is MLK day in the USA. Seems a worthy day for the film Mississippi Burning 1988,  Gene Hackman, Willem Dafoe, directed by Alan Parker who is British. I found no thread or comments on it. I borrowed it from a library and thought it was excellent. Very engaging. It won an Oscar for Best Cinematography, director of photography Peter Biziou. The British Academy Film Awards gave BAFTA Film Award wins to Editing, Cinematography and Sound. Numerous nominations for acting and directing. Overall 19 wins and 19 nominations.

Has anyone seen this civil rights film, if yes, what do you like or dislike?

I wanted to buy it and usually go to WalMart or Amazon, and it's only found through third parties on Amazon. It's reasonably priced today but only by unknown dealers like DVD & Media Express and not long ago it was over $80 for a DVD.

Why do they let good films go out of print and where do third parties get big name studio copies of them?

Edited by Mike_tn

I remember this film being rather controversial at the time because it was yet another civil-rights movie that focused far more on the heroic white protagonists than the actual black martyrs. (Cf. also Cry Freedom.) I have a vague recollection that there might have also been some complaints that the real-life FBI figures were not the heroes that the movie makes them out to be.

If memory serves, the publicity around this film also marked the first time I can recall hearing of Frances McDormand... which is interesting, as she had a supporting role in Raising Arizona, which I saw in theatres the year before.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.