Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SDG

Trying to remember literary discussion of fairy tales vs. realistic fiction

3 posts in this topic

I suspect the passage I'm trying to remember is C. S. Lewis, Thomas Howard or Peter Kreeft, though it could be someone else. To my mind it sounds most like Tom Howard. Here is my own phrasing of the point I remember from the passage in question: 

Fairy tales and allegory differ from realistic narratives precisely in externalizing psychological or moral conditions in symbolically fraught realities. Whereas a character in a realistic narrative might be lost in a metaphorical “dark wood” of confusion or fear, in a fairy tale or allegory you get a literal dark wood, etc. 

Does anyone recognize the passage I'm remembering? 

Found it! 

It's Tom Howard, as I thought. From C. S. Lewis: Man of Letters, aka Narnia and Beyond: A Guide to the Fiction of C. S. Lewis

One of the obvious properties of fairy tale or myth…is the way everything is visible, literal, and explicit. The elements that might be merely psychological or metaphorical or implicit in realistic narratives appear quite unabashedly as real people or places or situations in a fairy tale or a myth. In a fairy tale you find yourself, not in a psychological "dark forest" that is really only a patch of perplexity or discouragement: you get into a real Black Forest with great gnarled beeches and willows all gaunt and bearded, reaching their knotted limbs down at you. 

After trying numerous Google and Amazon searches, I finally recalled that phrase "patch of perplexity," which lodged in my head as a typically Tom Howard-ish turn of phrase. That did it! 

I'm not familiar with Tom Howard, but it's certainly reminiscent of Bruno Bettelheim.