Sign in to follow this  
Account Removed

National Velvet

National Velvet is a first rate movie. I saw that last night for my first Liz Taylor film, not knowing the child actress was Taylor before a month ago, thinking it was just another children's film mostly for girls that a female friend and mother told me was good. It's too good for the poor image DVD it's on, hard to believe this isn't redone onto Blu-ray.

While growing up, if Taylor was mentioned in media, my mom would bring up her many marriages in an unfavorable tone. That's all I knew. Now I'm hoping to watch, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and A Place in the Sun, sometime down the road. She made me think of Judy Garland. The child leads from Wizard of Oz & National Velvet into alcohol & drug abuse, love affairs, multiple marriages. Is film fame too dangerous? It's a little upsetting.

Whenever I see this title come up, there's a second when I can't remember if National Velvet or Blue Velvet is the crazy one.

Now I'm hoping to watch, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and A Place in the Sun, sometime down the road.

She's terrific in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? too.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog