Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

The Lego Movie 2

Chris McKay, who was one of the main people behind the animation in the first Lego Movie, will direct the sequel:

Chris McKay, who headed up the bulk of the animation for directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord, has been tapped to direct The Lego Movie 2, set for release May 2017.

Deadline broke the news. Lord and Miller are producing the sequel and Michelle Morgan and Jared Stern are writing. Since the release date is so far off, very little is set in stone at this point. But according to the report, the film could be “a straight sequel or a film that broadens the LEGO empire by focusing on the character Ninjago.”

For future reference, could we please avoid linking to Slashfilm unless they actually break some news or offer some original commentary? In this case, we could have linked directly to the Deadline story without going through the middle man.

This was entertaining, though needless. I am ambivalent about recommending people pay to take their kids to a 90 minute commercial, but I confess the film won me over. It does a nice job of balancing sincere sentimentality with ironic, self-aware self-parody.

Huh. I caught it with my kids at one of the paid previews last week, and I found it... more complicated than I would have liked? One of the problems is that the big "reveal" in the first film is now part of the second film's basic premise, for everyone in the audience (at least those who are familiar with the first film, and if you aren't, what are you doing in the theatre for *this* one?) -- and that changes the basic structure of the movie, which now gives us repeated hints as to how the Lego world is connecting to the real world. And *then* the movie drops a new "reveal" on us that just made me think, "How is that even *possible* in the world of these films...?" It also got my children talking, once again, about the current abundance of "twist villains" in family entertainment.

All that being said, I did laugh every now and then. I liked the line about a certain movie being something that "older kids" get to watch, and I found myself thinking that it might be time to introduce said movie to my own kids, two of whom are turning 13 tomorrow. (The movie in question is one that I saw when I was 14, so.)