Top 25: Discussion of Nominated Films on Memory

That's a great idea--but the survey had no way of identifying whether I'd seen a film or not.  There was no "N/A"--which caused me to vote "3" for films I hadn't seen, which should end up as a "neutral" value in the summation.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if a lot of people voted like this, then we need to redo the voting. Or, if everyone but me voted like this, then I need to redo my ballot. I didn't vote at all for films I haven't seen, gave 5s to the "musts," 4s to the "yes, please," 3s to the "I'd be fine with this one," and so on.

I voted like Darren.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great idea--but the survey had no way of identifying whether I'd seen a film or not.  There was no "N/A"--which caused me to vote "3" for films I hadn't seen, which should end up as a "neutral" value in the summation.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if a lot of people voted like this, then we need to redo the voting. Or, if everyone but me voted like this, then I need to redo my ballot. I didn't vote at all for films I haven't seen, gave 5s to the "musts," 4s to the "yes, please," 3s to the "I'd be fine with this one," and so on.

I voted like Darren.

As did I.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Oops.  (On a research quality note, I'd argue a survey should always have a "N/A" to prevent respondent confusion.). 

Throw my votes out please.

I agree on that note, Buckeye. But surely you can be permitted to correct your votes so that they will remain applicable...

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Oops.  (On a research quality note, I'd argue a survey should always have a "N/A" to prevent respondent confusion.). 

Throw my votes out please.

I agree on that note, Buckeye. But surely you can be permitted to correct your votes so that they will remain applicable...

Yeah, I think Buckeye should be able to revote, assuming he can do so quickly and the revote won't throw a big wrench into the process.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'm almost embarrassed to have someone see all my blank lines...it would be easier to have someone just tag an extra 5 on Wreck it Ralph for me...

Just kidding.  I probably won't have a chance to pop back in here today, and am totally confident that the awesome participant base here will produce a list I'll be proud of even though I'm not voting on it.

I voted like Darren.

As did I.

Me too.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Ooops, Ryan, you're right.  I misread Jeff's inline quotes as meaning all of these voters had voted the way Buckeye had voted.  My bad.  Post deleted.  Don't want to be the one adding to any confusion.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.