The Salvation

Anodos

IMDB:

In 1870s America, a peaceful American settler kills his family's murderer which unleashes the fury of a notorious gang leader. His cowardly fellow townspeople then betray him, forcing him to hunt down the outlaws alone.

This trailer is downright bad, but I do enjoy Westerns and have something of a soft spot for both Mads and Eva. It could be worthwhile.

Edited by Anodos

Count me in.

Director Kristian Levring is one of my favorites from the dogme movement. A few of us were taken with The King is Alive when it originally came out, and I know we discussed it in one iteration of these forums, but it is impossible to find at this point, in fact the only link I can find to any Levring film is my one-post-wonder for Fear Me Not (2008).

Co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen is what we call mega-prolific, and has too many films to even begin to list (mostly written but a few directed as well), but I did leave a few links for where we've discussed his films on A&F here.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen is what we call mega-prolific, and has too many films to even begin to list (mostly written but a few directed as well), but I did leave a few links for where we've discussed his films on A&F here.

Yes, I should have mentioned his involvement - the idea that the writer of Open Hearts, Brothers, and After The Wedding has penned a Western is definitely intriguing. It suggests the possibility of a new approach, a more character-driven story... I like Westerns, but it's one of the most cliched genres. Anything new would be welcome. I just hope it's better than the trailer.

• 8 months later...

Pointing out the obvious, here, but I kinda dig how they took a stock situation (Confederate soldiers fleeing to the West), kept the framework, and evacuated the content ("Following a crushing defeat against Germany" etc etc etc). That's clever.

• 1 month later...

I loved the trailer, which played ahead of Maps to the Stars a few weeks ago, but the movie came and went in one week at West End Cinema. I didn't get to it. I suspected I would love it simply on a visual level -- the trailer really did stir me in a way that most trailers don't, based just on the look of the film -- and now Michael Wilmington's review has me shaking my head for not somehow finding a way to get to this film.

You always get the sense that Levring and Jensen are enjoying themselves, making this movie as much (or more) for love as money. The scenery, which deliberately recalls the barren desertscapes of John Ford’s Monument Valley, is overpowering and stark and gorgeous, the atmosphere tense and menacing, the characters pungently alive.

Has it played in anyone else's market? Has anyone else even had a chance to see it?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 5 months later...

Just watched this. I mentioned on Facebook that I can't recall a movie where every shot clearly wanted to be gorgeous and fell just shy of that. There's nothing particularly objectionable about the movie, but neither is there anything particularly special about it. If more Westerns were being produced, this one's merits might stand out more. As it stands, though, The Salvation is hard to feel strongly about one way or the other.