Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Beauty and the Beast

23 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Enchanted 2 (in development), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), Through the Looking Glass (2016), Cruella (in development) and The Jungle Book (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

Links to our threads on the animated version of Beauty and the Beast (1991; cf. also its 1993 stage musical adaptation), Beastly (2011), Beauty and the Beast (2014), and in-development adaptations by Guillermo del Toro and ABC.

- - -

Bill Condon to Direct Live-Action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Film For Disney (EXCLUSIVE)

With the recent release of “Maleficent,” which grossed more than $170 million worldwide in its opening weekend, Disney is working fast on its next live-action fairytale adaptation.

Bill Condon is set to direct a live-action version of “Beauty and the Beast” for the Disney.

Evan Spiliotopoulos is writing the script with Mandeville Films producing.

The plot details are unknown at this time. . . .

Variety, June 4

Just got a press release saying the movie will star Emma Watson as Belle.

THR: Ewan McGregor to Play Lumiere in 'Beauty and the Beast' (Exclusive)

As far as I'm concerned, this is a huge missed opportunity. I was hoping for Derek Jacobi [NSFW punchline, but otherwise tame enough]:

Edited by NBooth

Very teasery teaser. No singing. Don't get to see Beast. Barely even get to see Belle. The castle looks pretty good, though. 

Elaborate cos-play, note-for-note remake (mostly). Shaking my head, but this is not at all surprising given the culture we live in.

A Belle for the 21st century.

Posted (edited)

Every time I see footage from this, my expectations sink even lower.

The trailers and footage has basically gone: note for note remake --> uninspired, elaborate cos-play  --> over the top disaster/peril climactic set piece

Edited by Evan C

12 hours ago, Evan C said:

Every time I see footage from this, my expectations sink even lower.

The trailers and footage has basically gone: note for note remake --> uninspired, elaborate cos-play  --> over the top disaster/peril climactic set piece

Agree entirely, I'm afraid. Although the worst thing about the trailers so far has been Ewan Mcgregor's 'French' accent. Horrible. And him married to a Frenchwoman...

It shall be interesting to see if: 1) this report is true and 2) what the reactions to it are if it is.

Beauty and the Beast director Bill Condon revealed in an interview with Attitude that Gaston’s sidekick, LeFou, played by Josh Gad, will explore his sexuality in what Attitude calls a "small but significant subplot" during the film.

28 minutes ago, Evan C said:

The review I've just read on Indiewire isn't impressed by the claims:

As for that gay moment, it’s tough to know which one he meant. There are a few winks and nods, the most apparent being a gag at the end where Wardrobe dresses three intruders in women’s clothes. In what could have been another tired cross-dressing gag (two men run away in disgust), a third stares directly into camera, beaming. Condon also might have been referring to another blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment, when Monsieur LeFou (Josh Gad), right-hand man to Belle’s suitor Gaston, dances with a man for a half second.

But then he didn't like the film because it wasn't progressive enough, so maybe more delicate viewers will have the pleasure of finding something to offend them...

Posted (edited)

I was expecting it would be a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment of LeFou smiling/dancing/expressing affection for a man, but we'll find out.

Edited by Evan C

56 minutes ago, Evan C said:

I was expecting it would be a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment of LeFou smiling/dancing/expressing affection for a man, but we'll find out.

The Sulu effect. 

18 hours ago, Anodos said:

The review I've just read on Indiewire isn't impressed by the claims:

Jackson McHenry at Vulture is also not having any of it:

During a group dance, LeFou starts off dancing with a woman, and then strikes up with the dress-loving henchman. It’s certainly a moment, because it lasts for two seconds at the most. It’s gay, in the sense that two male characters are doing something that expresses affection, though it feels so platonic they might as well be shaking hands. It’s certainly not exclusively gay, however, as other couples are still dancing in the background. To be exclusive, you have to exclude — get the straights out of the shot!

IndieWire wrote:
: There are a few winks and nods, the most apparent being a gag at the end where Wardrobe dresses three intruders in women’s clothes. In what could have been another tired cross-dressing gag (two men run away in disgust), a third stares directly into camera, beaming.

The "beaming" is new, I guess, but the intruders-being-dressed-in-women's-clothes thing goes back to the 1991 cartoon.

Effeminate being gay is one of the worst stereotypes. I had many fully straight male ballet dancer friends in college who were somewhat "effeminate" and it opened my incredibly uncultured eyes at the time. But of course that won't stop the fundies boycotting the movie...

I just think it's funny a story that is essentially a Stockholm syndrome fairy tale is being attacked for its least controversial aspect. 

The equivalent scene in the 1991 film:

Meanwhile, other clips:

The equivalent scene in the 1991 film:

One more clip from the new film:

A comparison: