Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars (2008-2015), Rogue One (2016), Rebels (2014-2017), the Han Solo spin-off (2018), and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series) and spin-off movies.

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006), 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010) and 'Clear reference to Pelagian heresy in Star Wars: Episode III?' (Jul 2015).

- - -

‘Star Wars’ Bombshell! Rian Johnson To Write, Direct Next Two Films
EXCLUSIVE: Rarely have I seen the revival of a film franchise stir so much fervor as Star Wars, among hot young filmmakers who grew up loving George Lucas’ original film trilogy. In a bombshell move, I’m told that Lucasfilm is making a deal with Looper writer-director Rian Johnson to write and direct Star Wars Episodes VIII and IX. Essentially, that means that the intention is for Johnson to take the baton from JJ Abrams, who has gotten the space franchise off the ground and is right now helming Episode VII. I don’t know too much more at this point, but it is in keeping with Disney and Lucasfilm’s strategy of entrusting the venerable franchise to the best and brightest writers and directors, including the spinoff films that are being directed by Chronicle‘s Josh Trank and Godzilla‘s Gareth Edwards. . . .
Deadline.com, June 20

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Attica   

I'd think this is a pretty good sign that they are going to be moving the franchise away from the kiddiness that it had become in places.  I wonder if they will always try to keep it within PG territory though?  I suspect so but I also think that an R rated Star Wars film would still be able to find a crowd.  I have mixed feelings about that kind of a film.

Attica wrote:
: I wonder if they will always try to keep it within PG territory though?

Revenge of the Sith -- i.e. the most recent live-action Star Wars movie -- was PG-13. So were four of the last five Star Trek films, including the two directed by JJ Abrams. I'd be surprised if the Star Wars franchise wasn't PG-13 from here on, but you never know.

Hmmm.

George Lucas was born in 1944, and was 33, 55, 58 and 61 when the four films he directed came out.

Irvin Kershner was born in 1923, and was 57 when The Empire Strikes Back came out.

Richard Marquand was born in 1938, and was 45 when Return of the Jedi came out.

JJ Abrams was born in 1965, and will be 49 when Episode VII comes out in 2015.

Rian Johnson was born in 1973, and will be in his 40s when Episode VIII comes out (44 in 2017, or 45 in 2018).

And as for the spin-off movies?

Gareth Edwards was born in 1975, and will presumably be at least 40 by the time his film comes out.

Josh Trank was born in 1985, and will presumably be at least 30 by the time his film comes out.

So. Josh Trank is the only director so far who was born *after* the original film (indeed, the entire original trilogy) came out. He will *also* be the only director apart from Lucas himself who has directed a Star Wars film in his 30s.

We also have directors born in each of the decades from the 1920s to the 1980s, *except* for the 1950s. No Star Wars movie has been (or, so far, will be) directed by someone who was born in the 1950s.

Coming May 26, 2017. It will be the first Star Wars movie released in time for Memorial Day since Revenge of the Sith in 2005. (The Clone Wars came out in August, and The Force Awakens and Rogue One are both coming out in December.)

yes, now my kids can experience the same agonizing wait I did back when I was their age.  but they have so much more media stimulation I'm not sure it will play the same.

Buckeye wrotes:
: yes, now my kids can experience the same agonizing wait I did back when I was their age.  

No they can't. You had to wait three years between movies. This is only two years (and they're getting Rogue One in-between).

Personally, I'm miffed that the Star Wars franchise seems to be making this switch -- from summer movies to Christmas movies -- permanent. Among other things, it shows that the films don't really have the staying power that they used to have. It *used* to be that you watched a Star Wars movie repeatedly all summer long. But now, you've got the intense two or three weeks of Christmas break, and then it's back to your other movies.

Tyler wrote:
: (spoiler if you somehow don't know what happens at the end of episode 7.)

Spoiler warnings for older movies are never needed in threads about those movies' sequels.

Possible title floating around? 

Fall of the Resistance?

I'm hoping this article is right, and that it's just the working title.  If only because I wasn't invested enough in the resistance to care.

Edited by John Drew

NBooth   
On 6/27/2016 at 9:14 AM, Ryan H. said:

Well, it won't silence people complaining about Rey being a Mary Sue, but this development does sound interesting. On the other hand,

Do we really need another "Chosen One" story? Not just in the SWU--I mean, anywhere. They're so boring.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth   

On the third hand, it seems that Rey is not a Skywalker, which at least fends off some of the universe-constriction that's been going around in this franchise.

Edited by NBooth

Assuming that the rumor has validity, of course. It might be nonsense. But there are touches that make it feel legitimate, like the redacting of certain elements.

I generally like the rumor. It would actually move the mythology forward rather than just coasting on what we've already been given.

Edited by Ryan H.