Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

On 1/3/2020 at 6:54 PM, Aren Bergstrom said:

I believe the ending is a sunrise, not a sunset. I've seen the film three times and there is no sun in the sky during Rey's initial appearance at the Lars Homestead. But when she says her name is "Rey Skywalker," it appears over the horizon, and in the silhouette shot, we can see the redder of the suns rising slightly.

Thanks for this, and I could be wrong here because I can't remember the exact details from Rise of Skywalker, but isn't she positioned to be looking at the same horizon on Tatooine that Luke was looking at from his farm? If this is the case, it would mean either a) the suns rise and set on Tatooine on the same horizon, which would be an interesting bit of cosmic physics, or b) it's a sunset. Now I'm really curious as to how Rey is framed/positioned in the final shot.

9 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

And then, in Star Trek into Darkness, there was a stupid, stupid bit where the Enterprise is hiding underwater -- an environment it is absolutely *not built for* (it's not even built for traveling in a planet's atmosphere; there is nothing aerodynamic about its design at all) -- and then it rises up out of the water and into the sky where all the aliens can see it, and now, in The Rise of Skywalker, Palpatine reveals that he's been keeping a whole bunch of Really Large Star Destroyers (reportedly they are supposed to be much bigger than the ones we saw in the original trilogy) underground or something, and he makes them all rise into the sky...

Maybe he uses the force? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Thanks for this, and I could be wrong here because I can't remember the exact details from Rise of Skywalker, but isn't she positioned to be looking at the same horizon on Tatooine that Luke was looking at from his farm? If this is the case, it would mean either a) the suns rise and set on Tatooine on the same horizon, which would be an interesting bit of cosmic physics, or b) it's a sunset. Now I'm really curious as to how Rey is framed/positioned in the final shot.

See Joel, I think you're correct that it's the same spot that Luke is on, so the suns would've been setting from that spot, so I'm not sure this actually makes any sense within the storyworld itself. But the third time I saw the film, I went in specifically wanting to pay attention to this ending to answer this question and I remember the wide shot of the farm with no sun and then the sun only appears for the final two shots, so no sun to sun makes me think it's a sunrise, that combined with the aforementioned red sun rising in the final frame and the title of the film "Rise."

Again, I could be wrong and my memory may be constructing something that's not there. If I see it a fourth time (which is likely), I'll report back with further updates.

"Cinema is an improvement on life." - Francois Truffaut

3 hours ago, Aren Bergstrom said:

If I see it a fourth time (which is likely), I'll report back with further updates.

Please do look for this, as I'm really curious now. I actually expected it to be a sunrise as I watched it precisely because the scene itself seemed to be trying so hard for the symbolism of it all. It's like the Twitter joke: *leans over to date* "That's the Rise of Skywalker."