Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian

Car CD Player: Time To Upgrade, but to What?

5 posts in this topic

Apologies if we have similar threads.

My Mazda 6 CD player appears to be beyond hope. I'm very dependent on the CD player, which in recent months has played mainly audiobooks from the library, but which has also given me hours upon hours of musical enjoyment over the years.

I've been asked why I haven't gone with an iPod option or some sort of satellite radio in the past, and the question was a good one when I listened to mainly music. But now I'm hooked on audiobooks from the library, and digital (e-audio) options are not nearly as available as are books on CD.

I'd like to get another car CD player, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to something that gives me iPod or even satellite radio options. I see no such options on the SiriusXM radios offered on its website, so I'm guessing such a combo player isn't available.

I haven't shopped for car stereos in, oh, decades and have no idea what's out there. Were you in my shoes, what would you do? The car is a 2006, but I've hoped to hold onto it for at least another five years, at which time my oldest child will be 16 and can inherit it as a (short-lived) first vehicle. But that means I have to invest in a new stereo now. How much should I spend, and what's the best value for my money?

I wish I hadn't just given up my Consumer Reports online subscription. :( Although CR might not be the best judge of car-stereos.

Can you showroom at Bestbuy, then use Crutchfield and/or Amazon for reviews and purchase?  I'm in a similar boat--but I want something with an ipod/bluetooth capability--let's just say radio in Northwest Arkansas isn't any good.

Radio in most places I've been hasn't been great shakes. I sometimes hate-listen to AM talk radio, which has a schedule something like this:

6-9: local guy kvetches about Democrats, Obama

9-12: Glenn Beck kvetches about Democrats, Obama

12-3: Rush Limbaugh kvetches about Democrats, Obama

3-6: local guy who won't last long kvetches about Democrats, Obama

6-9: Sean Hannity . . . I think you get the idea. 

NPR is genuinely good for news, and I enjoy their jazz program at night, but I think during the day, it'd be great to be able to hook in the iPod. My next car stereo system *must* have some kind of auxiliary input. I have yet to find a radio tuner that works well.

I've loved having a new car stereo, but the primary reason I bought it -- because the CD player in my old stereo was skipping all the time -- has, sadly, carried over to the new unit. My audiobook listening is way down because the CD player gets so easily hung up on what I'm guessing are disc scratches that it can't finish playing one disc uninterrupted, not to mention an entire book's worth of discs.

What I thought was an isolated problem with one audiobook carried over to another, then another, and another, until I concluded that I'll have to start using the iPod connection to listen to digital book files -- and music, too, although my music CDs don't seem to get hung up as easily.

So, what sort of problems should I anticipate from listening to an iPod via my car stereo?

Edited by Christian

I hope Christian hasn't had too many problems with listening to audiobooks via iPod.

I've never had an iPod, but used my iPad this way--connecting it to the USB port--and it worked without a hitch. Now it's simpler to use my iPhone with the Bluetooth connection using the either the Audible.com app or the Overdrive app, which lets me borrow mp3 audiobooks from the local library. Overdrive is a bit kludgy to get started with (register with library, sign in with Overdrive, pick books, etc.), but once a book starts playing it is fine. The only problem I've had is that some Audible.com books randomly cut out--I don't know whether it's a Bluetooth issue, or a problem with the file. Hitting pause couple times seems to re-start them all right, though.

Library also offered audiobooks via OneClick Digital app, which I tried but found even more complicated than Overdrive. YMMV.