Sign in to follow this  
opus

Matrix DVD Box Set?

Just saw this over on IGN-DVD, about a 9-disc Matrix box set that includes an extended version of Reloaded with all of the live footage from Enter The Matrix inserted, The Animatrix, 3 hours of behind the scenes footage per movie, and literally tons of other special features.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/528/528054p1.html

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

DigitalBits had it listed as 10:

And finally today, could this be actual information about a forthcoming Matrix Ultimate Collection box set? U.K. retailer HMV has posted details on what would be a 10-disc set, which would include:

1 - The Matrix (with all-new transfer & audio commentary)

2 - The Matrix Revisited (the original version with behind-the-scenes footage)

3 - Matrix Reloaded: Extended Version (new cut with 55 minutes of new footage inserted back into the film)

4 - Matrix Reloaded Revisited (all new interviews, scene dissections and more)

5 - Matrix Revolutions (original cut with audio commentaries)

6 - Matrix Revolutions Revisited (a host of all-new extras)

7 - The Animatrix

8 - The Roots of the Matrix (3 hours of features)

9 - The Burley Man Chronicles (the people behind The Matrix discuss their work)

10 - The Zion Archive (a tour of Matrix design concepts, storyboards & drawings)

The set would also include a 20-page booklet. Click on the link above for additional extras details. Obviously, this would be a U.K. release, but these generally mirror the R1 release pretty closely. We'll have to wait and see if Warner makes an announcement in the coming weeks.

If they include the score commentary from the original Matrix and most of the other features from the other releases, I'll possibly get it.

I skipped buying the sequels (hated "Reloaded", loved "Revolutions" - go figure) in anticipation of such a set as this. Bring it on. I just hope the brothers decide to do commentary this time. Who do they think they are, Stanley Kubrick? Their movies aren't that good - at this point, they need to explain themselves.

JiM T

Find my twitchin' film reviews at Twitch

AFAIK, there will be no commentaries by the Brothers Wachowski. I guess it's part of their whole "we don't do press" deal.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

There is at least one text commentary by the Bros. on the Matrix website. Other than that and the Revisited documentary, nada. NA-DA.

Jim Tudor wrote:

: I skipped buying the sequels (hated "Reloaded", loved "Revolutions" - go figure)

: in anticipation of such a set as this.

Me too, but it sounds like we might have to get those other discs anyway just to get all the extras -- and especially Reloaded, if the new "extended" version does not take advantage of seamless branching.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

but it sounds like we might have to get those other discs anyway just to get all the extras -- and especially Reloaded, if the new "extended" version does not take advantage of seamless branching.

{...grumble grumble grumble...}

Find my twitchin' film reviews at Twitch

DigitalBits has an update:

8/12/04

I thought we had a lot on this title in yesterday's post, but we're back AGAIN today with still more information on Warner's The Ultimate Matrix DVD Gift Set (TBA, due in December). As a reward for taking an online survey over at the Warner Home Video website, Bits reader Jeremy H. was able to learn some new details about the set... AND get some pics for you too!

According to Warner's survey, the 10-disc The Ultimate Matrix DVD Gift Set will include the three Matrix movies, The Animatrix and 6 discs of "enhanced content" with over 35 hours of bonus material. SRP is expected to be in the range of $59.99. It looks like there will also be more elaborate (and more expensive) version of the set that will include all 10 discs in special packaging, along with an "exclusive resin Neo bust and an 80-page book with never-before-seen artwork and storyboards."

Our thanks again to Bits reader Jeremy H. for sending us this. Stay tuned...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/11/04

Anyone out there up for The Ultimate Matrix Collection? According to the Wachowski Brothers, who made a rare public appearance at the recent Comic-Con to talk about the DVDs, it's on the way in December. They were part of a Warner Bros. DVD panel on Saturday, which happened right before the big Lucasfilm Star Wars panel, so it seems not many people from the online DVD world were in attendance to hear them talk (including us). But faithful Bits reader Doug S. was there and sent us all the details, some which confirm things we'd heard before (click here and here) and some of it new information.

A promo was shown revealing two versions of the set, including a more expensive Collector's Edition Gift Set that includes a Neo minibust from Gentle Giant and a soundtrack CD. As we've heard before, this will be a 10-disc set as follows:

Disk 1 - The Matrix (digitally remastered and recolored)

Disk 2 - The Matrix Revisited (The SAME disc already released)

Disk 3 - The Matrix Reloaded

Disk 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited

Disk 5 - The Matrix Revolutions

Disk 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited

Disk 7 - The Animatrix (The SAME disc already released)

Disk 8 - The Roots of the Matrix

Disk 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles

Disk 10 - The Zion Archive

Here's additional information the Wachowskis revealed at the panel:

Despite rumors, there will be no new director's cuts. The brothers said they were very happy with the original theatrical versions.

There will be two audio commentaries for each film - one from philosophers Ken Wilber and Cornel West (who analyze the meanings behind the films), and one from three professional critics who hated all three films (no names given). According to Andy Wachowski, "It's the best idea we've ever had. It's hilarious. They just sit there and rip the s*** out of us for six hours."

All the footage shot for the Enter the Matrix videogame is present on the DVD for Matrix Reloaded. However, it is not cut into the film - it's a separate special feature you can view scene-by-scene.

Finally, the Wachowskis said that none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the trilogy will be reproduced except for what you find on Discs 2 and 7. You may see some of the same footage re-edited, but if you want to own all of the extras you'll need to keep your original DVDs too.

So there you have it, straight from a Bits reader who was there. Todd and I actually saw the Wachowskis at the Burly Man booth in the dealer room, so we know there were on hand for all the Comic-Con fun. Our thanks to Doug for his efforts and for sending all this information to us to post for all of you.

Here's a pic of the deluxe set:

user posted image

The critics commentaries are a brilliant idea. The keeping your old DVD's for all the extras is not.

Edited by Clint M

Hmmm. The only Matrix DVD I have ever bought is the original one -- and I guess, from the sound of it, the version of that disc that comes with this new set will NOT have the composer commentary or the 'white rabbit' bonus feature?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

My goodness! Wakowskis in "may have sense of humour" shocker! The critics commentary does sound like a good idea, I sense it'll be entirely necessary to balance out the fawning "how great are these films!" tone of everything else in the set. I mean, come on, ten disks? Obviously designed to be just one more than Alien Quadrilogy...

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Despite rumors, there will be no new director's cuts. The brothers said they were very happy with the original theatrical versions.

So does this mean there is no extra footage for "Reloaded"? Bummer, I was looking forward to an improvement! dry.gif May not buy the Box Set if this is the case. That was the disc I was most looking forward to...

AFAIK, the Reloaded extra footage isn't a "director's cut" but merely incorporating the footage from the Enter the Matrix video game. So, if you haven't played the game, you may at least want to rent this one.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

IGN just posted a review of the commentaries on the box set.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Just posted this over on the Matrix Revolutions thread (and is this really the first time we've linked back to it from this thread?), and THEN I realized that we had a thread devoted to the boxed set ... but I think this query fits both threads, so here it is again:

- - -

Hope no one minds if I ask a silly question, but ...

Is there ANY difference between the special features on the "widescreen" disc and the special features on the "fullscreen" disc? Like, are the special features coded for "widescreen" playback on one set and coded for "fullscreen" playback on the other? That kind of thing. (Ditto for The Matrix Reloaded.)

I ask because I have sometimes thought of getting the full Matrix boxed set, but I am also a completist and my understanding is that the bonus features for all three films are different in the boxed set than they are on the original DVDs. My understanding is also that The Matrix Revisited (a disc of nothing but bonus features, released between the first two movies) and The Animatrix are included in the boxed set pretty much exactly as they appear on the original discs. So it is ONLY the three movies I would have to worry about.

At the moment, all I have is the 1999 edition of The Matrix. So to be an absolute completist, I would also have to get the original two-disc editions of Reloaded and Revolutions. And today I saw a whole bunch of copies of those two films sitting in the $7 pile at Superstore -- but they were all "fullscreen" editions. So at first I figured I would just pass them over completely. But then I thought, "Hmmm, the boxed set would have the widescreen MOVIES themselves, so maybe it doesn't matter that these discs are 'fullscreen'. Maybe this would be the cheapest way to get the special features that are unique to these editions."

Like I say, I'm a completist. But as you can tell from the fact that I haven't bought almost any of these discs yet, I'm not exactly feeling any URGENCY with regard to completing this particular set. But I figured I'd check, just in case.

I don't own the original individual discs... I waited for the box set, only to find that I don't have the features that were in the original discs. But, that said, I'm very pleased with the box set. Particularly illuminating is the theological post-modern discussion, the most animated commentary tracks I've ever heard, as the professors behind it seem stuck in the sixties, what a TOTAL TRIP! (Colorful commentary aside, there were some very interesting discussions that took place).

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Just posted this over on the Matrix Revolutions thread (and is this really the first time we've linked back to it from this thread?), and THEN I realized that we had a thread devoted to the boxed set ... but I think this query fits both threads, so here it is again:

- - -

Hope no one minds if I ask a silly question, but ...

Is there ANY difference between the special features on the "widescreen" disc and the special features on the "fullscreen" disc? Like, are the special features coded for "widescreen" playback on one set and coded for "fullscreen" playback on the other? That kind of thing. (Ditto for The Matrix Reloaded.)

I ask because I have sometimes thought of getting the full Matrix boxed set, but I am also a completist and my understanding is that the bonus features for all three films are different in the boxed set than they are on the original DVDs. My understanding is also that The Matrix Revisited (a disc of nothing but bonus features, released between the first two movies) and The Animatrix are included in the boxed set pretty much exactly as they appear on the original discs. So it is ONLY the three movies I would have to worry about.

At the moment, all I have is the 1999 edition of The Matrix. So to be an absolute completist, I would also have to get the original two-disc editions of Reloaded and Revolutions. And today I saw a whole bunch of copies of those two films sitting in the $7 pile at Superstore -- but they were all "fullscreen" editions. So at first I figured I would just pass them over completely. But then I thought, "Hmmm, the boxed set would have the widescreen MOVIES themselves, so maybe it doesn't matter that these discs are 'fullscreen'. Maybe this would be the cheapest way to get the special features that are unique to these editions."

Like I say, I'm a completist. But as you can tell from the fact that I haven't bought almost any of these discs yet, I'm not exactly feeling any URGENCY with regard to completing this particular set. But I figured I'd check, just in case.

As strange as it sounds, fullscreen DVD's will often have special features that present movie clips in the OAR of the film.

To the best of my knowledge, the fullscreen DVD extras are the same as the widescreen extras. To be honest, you really aren't missing much with the last two movies in regards to extras - the only one of real significance is Revolutions, in which you get a multi-angle look at the shooting of the Super Burly Brawl. Otherwise, the features virtually lap over on each disc, although the footage differs slightly.

I did keep the single disc copy of the first movie, only because of the two commentaries (two actors and a producer on one, a music-only track with commentary on the other). I think the rest of the special features from that made their way to the Matrix Revisted disc in the boxset.

Edited by Clint M

Clint M wrote:

: Otherwise, the features virtually lap over on each disc, although the footage differs slightly.

Including Easter eggs? I'm thinking of that clip with Will Ferrell as the Architect, in particular,

Clint M wrote:

: Otherwise, the features virtually lap over on each disc, although the footage differs slightly.

Including Easter eggs? I'm thinking of that clip with Will Ferrell as the Architect, in particular,

Yeah, that's the other extra that would be worth the purchase - the MTV's Movie Awards spoof is on the Reloaded 2-disc set only.

Edited by Clint M

Links to our threads on The Matrix (1999), The Matrix Reloaded (2003) and The Matrix Revolutions (2003).

FWIW, if we had a thread on Carl Sagan, I'd be sticking the clip below over there, instead: