Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2015: Best Animated Feature

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Twenty films submitted for the Oscar (with the ones I've seen so far in black):

Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
Cheatin’
Giovanni’s Island
Henry & Me
The Hero of Color City
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart
Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return
The Lego Movie
Minuscule – Valley of the Lost Ants
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Penguins of Madagascar
The Pirate Fairy
Planes: Fire & Rescue
Rio 2
Rocks in My Pockets
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

There should be enough here for a full slate of five nominees, rather than the three that there have been in some years.

- - -

Without Pixar, the Feature Animation Oscar Race is Open But Confusing

Feature animation offers one of the most confusing awards races this year. And that’s really saying something.

For one thing, Pixar, the category’s answer to the New York Yankees, doesn’t have a 2014 release — the first year that’s occurred since the 2006 Disney-Pixar merger.

An animated feature nomination for a Pixar original has been the safest bet in Oscar-land for a long time. With no film in the competition, voters will have to look at some of the perennial bridesmaids with fresh eyes.

And while the Mouse House is still represented via the Walt Disney Animation Studio, it’s an open race. And the contest is perplexing for many reasons, some positive.
1. It’s a diverse lineup. . . .

2. It's an international race. . . .

3. Each voting group has its own rules. . . .

4. What's in a name?

5. The billion-dollar question. . . .

Variety, November 4

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

What's interesting about the Lego Movie is that much of its emotional heft comes not via animation.

Agreed, but much of its humor is animation-based.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Is there an official rule for how much of a movie has to be animated for it to qualify? I assume something like Mary Poppins wouldn't count, even though it has some animated scenes.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:

: Is there an official rule for how much of a movie has to be animated for it to qualify?

I'm pretty sure there is, though the live-action scenes don't take up *that* much of The Lego Movie, so I'm sure it qualifies.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Go Song of the Sea!!!

Rocks in My Pocket: I'd like to see it make a short list, but I doubt it.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Cartoon Brew:

While there aren’t any major surprises on the list—we’d already identified all the major contenders many months ago—it is surprising that some of the most well received animated features of 2014 weren’t qualified for Oscar consideration. Some of the notable omissions are The Boy and the World, Tante Hilda, The Prophet, and Until Sbornia Do Us Part.

The Annie Awards announced their nominees today (the ones I've seen are in bold):

13 nominations in 9 categories:

The Boxtrolls (Focus Features/Laika) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Animated Effects, Character Animation (x3), Character Design, Production Design, Storyboarding (x2), Voice Acting (x2: Sir Ben Kingsley, Dee Bradley Baker)

10 nominations in 8 categories:

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Animated Effects, Character Animation (x3), Music, Storyboarding

7 nominations:

Big Hero 6 (
Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Animated Effects, Character Design, Storyboarding

Song of the Sea (GKIDS/Cartoon Saloon) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Character Design, Music, Production Design

6 nominations:

The LEGO Movie (Warner Bros. Pictures) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Animated Effects, Production Design

5 nominations:

The Book of Life (Reel FX) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Animated Effects, Character Design, Production Design

4 nominations:

Mr Peabody & Sherman (DreamWorks Animation) -- Animated Effects, Character Design, Music, Production Design

4 nominations in 3 categories:

Rio 2 (Blue Sky Studios) -- Character Design, Storyboarding (x2), Voice Acting (Andy Garcia)

3 nominations:

Cheatin' (Plymptoons Studio) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Music

Penguins of Madagascar (DreamWorks Animation) -- Animated Effects, Character Animation, Character Design

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (GKIDS/Studio Ghibli) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Music

2 nominations:

Planes: Fire & Rescue (Disneytoon Studios) -- Editing, Storyboarding

1 nomination:

Henry & Me (Reveal Animation Studios) -- Voice Acting (Cyndi Lauper)

The American Cinema Editors have announced their nominees for the Eddie award in this category:

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

Big Hero 6

Tim Mertens

The Boxtrolls

Edie Ichioka, ACE

Lego Movie

David Burrows & Chris McKay

Interestingly, this means they nominated the films with the most, 3rd-most and 4th-most Annie nominations, but *not* the film with the 2nd-most Annie nominations (i.e. How to Train Your Dragon 2. Mabye they're averse to sequels?

The winner will be announced January 30.

The Producers Guild Award nominees in this category are:

Ø  Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

Ø  The Book of Life (20th Century Fox)

Ø  The Boxtrolls (Focus Features)

Ø  How To Train Your Dragon 2 (20th Century Fox)

Ø  The LEGO Movie (Warner Bros. Pictures)

This list includes every film that had five or more Annie award nominations.

The winner will be announced January 24.

As Plympton sees it, landing dual Oscar nominations, much less wins, would go a long way towards legitimizing his quest to bring adult animation back into what he considers a too-conservative marketplace.

“Hollywood executives don’t really care about hand-drawn animation, and don’t really care about animation that’s not for kiddies, so there is very little opportunity for me to make the films that I want to make,” Plympton said.

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominees in this category:

Big Hero 6

The Boxtrolls

The Lego Movie

Penguins of Madagascar

The winner will be announced February 14.

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees in this category:

Outstanding Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Big Hero 6

Rio 2

The Boxtrolls

The Lego Movie

Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Big Hero 6; Baymax

How to Train Your Dragon 2; Hiccup

Rio 2; Gabi

The Boxtrolls; Archibald Snatcher

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Big Hero 6; Into the Portal

How to Train Your Dragon 2; Oasis

The Book of Life; Magical Land of the Remembered

The Boxtrolls; Boxtroll Cavern

Outstanding Models in any Motion Media Project

Big Hero 6; City of San Fransokyo

The Boxtrolls; Mecha-Drill

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies; Laketown

Transformers: Age of Extinction; Knightship

Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Big Hero 6

How to Train Your Dragon 2; The Battle

The Boxtrolls

The Lego Movie

The films with the most nominations are Big Hero 6 and The Boxtrolls (5 nominations each), followed by How to Train Your Dragon 2 (4 nominations), The Lego Movie and Rio 2 (2 nominations) and The Book of Life (1 nomination).

The winners will be announced February 4.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors have announced the nominees for the Golden Reel Awards in this category:

FEATURE ANIMATION
Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

Book of Life (Reel Fx / Fox Animation)

The Boxtrolls (Laika Entertainment)

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation)

The LEGO Movie (Warner Bros.)

The winner will be announced February 15.

Vote!

And note: the Oscar nominees include the four-most-nominated Annie contenders, plus The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

That is so great. 

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The Lego Movie just won the Producers Guild Award in this category... but it's not even *nominated* for the Oscar, so that doesn't really help us figure out which film the Academy will go for.

The Lego Movie just won the American Cinema Editors "Eddie" award in this category... but it's not even *nominated* for the Oscar, so that doesn't really help us figure out which film the Academy will go for.

The Annie Awards announced their winners tonight, and the results are:

6 awards -- How to Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Editing, Character Animation, Music, Storyboarding

2 awards -- The Boxtrolls (Focus Features/Laika) -- Production Design, Voice Acting (Sir Ben Kingsley)

1 award -- Big Hero 6 (
Walt Disney Animation Studios) -- Animated Effects

1 award -- The LEGO Movie (Warner Bros. Pictures) -- Writing

1 award -- The Book of Life (Reel FX) -- Character Design

How to Train Your Dragon won every category it was nominated in except for Animated Effects (which went to Big Hero 6) and writing (which went to The Lego Movie).

So, does this mean it's the frontrunner for the Oscar?

Here is how the Annies and Oscars have lined up since the Oscar for Best Animated Feature was created in 2001:

2001 -- Shrek won both

2002 -- Spirited Away won both

2003 -- Finding Nemo won both

2004 -- The Incredibles won both

2005 -- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit won both

2006 -- Cars won the Annie, Happy Feet won the Oscar

2007 -- Ratatouille won both

2008 -- Kung Fu Panda won the Annie, WALL-E won the Oscar

2009 -- Up won both

2010 -- How to Train Your Dragon won the Annie, Toy Story 3 won the Oscar

2011 -- Rango won both

2012 -- Wreck-It Ralph won the Annie, Brave won the Oscar

2013 -- Frozen won both

So, hmmm. It looks like the Annies and the Oscars have gone in separate directions in even-numbered years for the past almost-decade, and if that pattern were to hold, then How to Train Your Dragon 2, having won the Annie, would *not* win the Oscar.

The only sequels that have won the Annie for best feature before are Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 (and maybe Wallace & Gromit, which was sort of a feature-length sequel to a trio of short films, but that's not really the same thing).

Big Hero 6 just won all five of the Visual Effects Society awards that it was nominated for -- including the award that was open to live-action films as well as animated films.

The Lego Movie, which isn't even nominated for the Oscar, won the PGA and ACE awards.

How to Train Your Dragon dominated the Annies.

Big Hero 6 swept the Visual Effects Society awards.

And now...

...Big Hero 6 has won the Cinema Audio Society award.