CHANGES COME: Over the Rhine Live 2003

Overstreet

user posted image

For proof that this WAS available at Paste, click here to see that page that has since been removed from their site.

That's right. It was there, and now it's disappeared.

I'm going nuts here. Anybody have info on how I can get a copy?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Jeffrey - I don't know if you can. Karen said during the show that it was a conerstone exclusive. Based on her announcement it is interesting to see that it was offered at paste music.

I thought about picking it up and now I wish I had. Maybe just to tell you that I own a copy wink.gif

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I got a copy of the live album at Cornerstone. It is quite impressive, and the sound quality is quite good. Some of Paul Moak's guitar work makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, particularly on "The World Can Wait" and "When I Go". And I liked the way "Lifelong Fling" segued into "Ain't No Sunshine". The CD brought back memories of a wonderful Over The Rhine I attended last fall.

I would be surprised if this doesn't become available somewhere online sometime in the near future, either at Paste or at the Over the Rhine website. Be-sides was originally a fan-club only release at first, and then later became available to the general public, so I would imagine the same would happen for this one.

And, I love that cover photo.

::drools::

Oops. Sorry about that. I've only bought about 5 albums since last year's C-Stone, but this I'd grab in a heartbeat...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Maybe this won't disappear from Paste's site again anytime soon, since it's now news on OtR's home page.

CHANGES COME: Over the Rhine LIVE

Not available in stores, this sonic snapshot of a concert recorded last fall offers you a deeper look into the songs on the critically-acclaimed double album, OHIO. Although this raw recording was made directly through a soundboard during a show, it bottles some of the surprising energy of an Over the Rhine concert. Put on the headphones, close your eyes, feel the room explode into love. Order yours here.

boy oh boy, when that man speaks, he speaks it good. i'm in tears in this coffee shop. over GEAR.

Our prayers fluctuated between Old Testament and New Testament prayers: May they fall into the snare they've laid for themselves. May we forgive them.

On Changes Come, Over the Rhine sounds like a band playing their last concert, pouring every last ounce of energy and passion into making these songs as brilliant as they can be. The result is a performance so intense, soulful, soaring, and astonishing that it will make everyone hope this is actually not the end, but the beginning.

It was just over a year ago now that I saw Over the Rhine at Cornerstone take the stage in the company of multi-instrumentalist Paul Moak, bass player Rick Plant, and drummer Will Sayles. I've seen them several times, but what happened there felt like defying gravity. They became something new, ferocious, and beautiful while the fireworks exploded outside the tent.

This recording, thank goodness, captures the energy of that performance at an unlisted stop along the tour soon after. The set list for the album is, of course, shorter than the real show, but their selections are perfect. Highlights: Well, where do I start? The whole album is a highlight. This has immediately become, for me, the essential Over the Rhine album. It's the one in which Karin Bergquist's voice reaches new heights, and the band pushes the songs into spacious new territory. It's the peak of the band's career, and we can only hope it's a sign of things to come.

Here's the set list:

01. Spinning -faster, but just as intense as before.

02. Show Me -a bolder rock and roll version

03. She - Karen wrings this thing till it's dry.

04. Nobody #1 - "This is the way ladies in Ohio rap."

05. Suitcase - A real heartbreaker.

06. Lifelong Sunshine - Karin's brilliant, Linford and Paul duel for solos, and "Lifelong Fling" segues into a fiery version of "Ain't No Sunshine"

07. Ohio - Karin sings this much more forcefully than on the source album.

08. All I Need Is Everything - Even better.

09. The World Can Wait - You won't believe this version. It rivals the best live stuff of U2.

10. When I Go - It's their "Love is Blindness."

11. B.P.D. - An encore that comes on like gangbusters.

12. Cruel and Pretty - A dreamy Chagall painting in sound.

13. Changes Come - You may not have what it takes to get through this.

Tip: MUST BE LISTENED TO AT HIGH VOLUME.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

very VERY excited about getting this one...once I can come up with the cash, I am all on this one...it's nice to hear so much information about it here...thanks!

-Constellation-

Tip: MUST BE LISTENED TO AT HIGH VOLUME.

Well, this is certainly true. My first listen was pretty passive and quiet and I was very disappointed. My second listen was by myself and involved a lot more volume. It helped, a lot. But...going on only two listens, I'm going to have still register some disappointment. To me, the music felt rushed and the band a little unengaged at times. We don't really need to go back to the days of the trio with Jack, but I think some of the tunes needed a little more gentle handling. I like the like in Atlanta version of Ohio much better. And some of Moak's playing and Karin's oohing and aaaaaaAAAaaaahing were a little much.

But this isn't to deny all the strengths that Jeffrey mentioned. It's Over the Rhine; it has to be pretty good. The album builds throughout and the last number left me on my knees. So before I say anything else, I'm going to give it a couple more LOUD listens. And it REALLY does sound better loud.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Couldn't disagree with you more, Jeff; Changes Come has shattered all my expectations. This is almost certain to become my favorite OtR disc.

Every single song outshines its original studio incarnation, so picking a highlight is impossible, but, if I had to pick the tracks that stand out the most to me after 3 or 4 listens, I'd go with "The World Can Wait," "All I Need is Everything," "Changes Come," and "Nobody #1."

I never much cared for the album version of "BPD," but this new version has exponentially increased my appreciation for the song.

I miss "Long Lost Brother," but, other than that, the track selection is perfect.

Absolutely astonishing record.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Another listen this afternoon on headphones has done much convincing. Not there yet, though. It doesn't have the clarity and care of a studio album, but for all it's energy it doesn't feel like an OTR show. At least not like the ones I've been to.

So I'll just keep listenin'. It's not as if I don't like it.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

• 1 month later...