Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Amazing Spider-Man: Aunt May prequel

Links to our threads on Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man 3 (2007), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), the untitled Spider-Man re-reboot (2017), The Sinister Six (in development) and Venom (in development).

Links to our threads on the original Spider-Man (2002) at the old Novogate discussion board:

'Spider-man -UPDATED- with Movieguide review' (Apr 29 - May 9, 2002)

'I saw "Spider-Man"!', page two (May 2 - 6, 2002)

'spider-man, shadowlands, son of paleface' (May 5 - 16, 2002)

- - -

EXCLUSIVE: Sony's Now Working on a Spider-Man-Less Aunt May Movie

Here comes Trouble, and I might mean that literally.

It’s been obvious from the various and absolutely crazy rumors about upcoming Spider-Man movies that Sony is struggling to find a direction for the franchise and the crazier the rumors get the more it seems like they’d rather milk the property from every single angle rather than give the main character back to Marvel. What started as rumors of villain-centric series, The Sinister Six and Venom, has been transformed by the increasing chorus of disappointed sighs from Amazing Spider-Man 2 to Venom: Carnage and “a female lead Spider-Man movie” that might be a crazy movie codenamed Glass Ceiling that features female Spider-Man Universe characters that have never been team-up before in history, let alone on screen.

Now, it’s my solemn duty to put another wild Sony thrashing Spider-Movie on the pile of rumored Spider-Man movies. I was told by the Latino Review editorial brain-trust that this is completely true: Sony is pursuing an Aunt May movie.

Yes, an Aunt May movie. A movie about Aunt May as a youth, before she was shouldered with the responsibility of raising Peter Parker. The target mood is some sort of espionage story in the vein of AMC’s Mad Men, which sounds like a way of saying “classier Agent Carter” without name-dropping Marvel’s upcoming series. . . .

Marvel, sorry for the name drop Sony, released a Mark Millar-penned romance mini-series in 2003 called Trouble that they thought would be the new origin of Spider-Man. It featured teenage versions of Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Richard and Mary Parker. Through a convoluted series of events, May gets teen-pregnant by Richard but gave up baby Peter to Mary who takes the secret of Peter’s true parentage to her grave.  

Spider-Man fans were not happy and the story didn’t sell too well, so that was the end of any attempts to focus on young Aunt May and thereby Spider-Man’s origin reverted back to not-being-the-child-of-Aunt-May. . . .

Latino Review, November 11

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

How is Mad Men an espionage story?

Haven't you figured out that Don Draper is the victim of a Chinese brainwashing experiment while in Korea, and has infiltrated the American ad media in an attempt to redirect the perceptions of the American masses to slowly accept China's progressive shift to a capitalistic force in later generations, through the use of TV commercials?

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Variety:

The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he is currently not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.