Miracles from Heaven

'Heaven Is for Real' Producers Reteam for Sony's 'Miracles From Heaven' (Exclusive)

Sony has picked up Miracles From Heaven, a faith-based project that reunites the makers of the studio’s hit Heaven Is for Real.

The project is an adaptation of Three Miracles From Heaven: A Sick Little Girl, Her Journey to Heaven, and the Lives Forever Changed, an upcoming book by Christy Beam; Randy Brown, who wrote Clint Eastwood's Trouble With the Curve, is on board to write the script.

T.D. Jakes and Joe Roth, who produced Heaven Is for Real, are producing along with DeVon Franklin, the preacher and former Sony exec who is now a producer based on the studio's Culver City lot. Franklin was instrumental in bringing in the book in proposal form, and the acquisition is a vote of confidence in the newly minted producer.

Beam, who lives in Burleson, Texas, where her family belongs to the Alsbury Baptist Church, wrote the memoir about her daughter, who suffered from a rare digestive disorder that caused her to eat via feeding tubes and carry colostomy bags. The miracles in the title refer to how the youngster fell three stories, visited heaven and later was cured of her seemingly incurable condition.

There was a major interest for the book rights, with the story selling preemptively to Hachette. Due to the strong enthusiasm for this project, Hachette will release the book next spring. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, November 10

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...

Sony's 'Miracles From Heaven' Adaptation Finds Director (Exclusive)

Patricia Riggen, the helmer behind the upcoming Chilean mining movie The 33, has closed a deal to direct Sony’s faith-based drama Miracles From Heaven.

The studio is eyeing a spring 2016 release date through their TriStar Pictures releasing label, the same label that released the faith-based hit Heaven Is for Real. Miracles From Heaven reunites the producers behind the latter — T.D. Jakes, Joe Roth and DeVon Franklin, the preacher and former Sony exec who is now a producer based on the studio's Culver City lot.

Riggen's project is an adaptation of Three Miracles From Heaven: A Sick Little Girl, Her Journey to Heaven, and the Lives Forever Changed, the book by Christy Beam that is to hit shelves April 14.

Beam’s memoir centers on her daughter, who miraculously overcame an incurable, life-threatening digestive disorder. After she was dramatically rescued from a near-death experience, a stunning series of miracles unfolded that left her family, her medical doctors and community baffled. (Beam lived in Texas when the incidents occurred, and her family belongs to the Alsbury Baptist Church.) . . .

Hollywood Reporter, April 8

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

Opening March 18, 2016 -- one week before Easter on the western calendar, and one week after Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and three weeks after Ben-Hur (and eight weeks after Risen).

• 1 month later...

Starring Queen Latifah as "a Boston waitress — something of an earthly angel — who befriends the sick girl and Beam during their visits to Boston Children's Hospital. She steps up to provide comfort and a helping hand when they need it most, and her life ends up transformed by her interaction with the family."

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2015 at 8:02 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Starring Queen Latifah as "a Boston waitress — something of an earthly angel — who befriends the sick girl and Beam during their visits to Boston Children's Hospital. She steps up to provide comfort and a helping hand when they need it most, and her life ends up transformed by her interaction with the family."

In other words, the black person who shows up out of nowhere to make the white people feel better. Takes them to Boston's New England Aquarium — and when they get inside, magically, it's the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta! 

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I'm reluctant to complain about racial stereotypes in movies based on true stories, so I didn't get into that in my review. But apparently the Queen Latifah character in the film is based on a real-life white person. So... hooray for "diversity"?

Interestingly, the real-life Annabel Beam said she saw *Jesus* in heaven, and she said he introduced her to a sister that her mother had miscarried, but the movie left all that out -- possibly because it would have been too similar to what we saw in Heaven Is for Real? In any case, this could have been yet another of the year's Jesus movies, but in its current form it isn't. 

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/miracles-from-heaven/

• 3 months later...