Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Favorite Albums of 2014: Other Folks' Lists

An alphabetized Top 50 from the AMG editors. (Including Miranda and Sturgill again, and several others that I really like-- Flying Lotus, Lee Ann Womack, Aaron Freeman, Jenny Lewis, etc.)

Ann Powers' Top 15 includes some real curveballs, and a couple of A&F favorites. (And Sturgill Simpson, it seems, will be this year's most-listed artist.)

Excellent. The Lights From the Chemical Plant is my favorite country album I heard this year, and I've heard Sturgill. Sturgill strikes me as winningly clever, but somewhat off-puttingly distant and self-protecting — I can't imagine his songs are going to actually mean much to me; none of his lyrics, or his music for that matter, move me like the first few tracks on Ellis's record. The title track is a knockout.

I just brought the Shakey Graves album home from the library. Looking forward to digging in.

Edited by Overstreet

A typically great list from S.T. Erlewine-- including Miranda at #1 (natch) but also Robert Plant, tune-yards, St. Vincent, Sturgill, Lee Ann Womack, Lana Del Ray, etc.

My fellow STE devotees might be interested in seeing the man's full Top 100.

Pitchfork's list of the year's 100 best tracks has a posthumous Michael Jackson song in the top 10, I feel it worth noting.

I'm not a Pitchfork fan, but their top albums list has an excellent summary of St. Vincent's abum that highlights its humor, and that's been missing from a lot of reviews. They even include "I prefer your love to Jesus" as one of the jokes, which I find intriguing. 

Edited by Overstreet

I always enjoy Fred Kaplan's Best Jazz list, although this year's is filled with lots of familiar names. Fewer discoveries here. 

Edited by Christian

Excellent. The Lights From the Chemical Plant is my favorite country album I heard this year.

We don't have a dedicated thread for this CD, so I'm posting here. While this in no way tops Sturgill Simpson's album for me, I appreciated Jeffrey's reminder about this album back in December. I listened to it a couple more times on Spotify and thought, "This one might take yet."

The past couple of days I've been listening to Americana and Folk channels on Spotify, and this album is featured across the different channels. The title track keeps playing, as does at least one other track from the same album, and I'd say, yeah, this one done took.

Robert Christgau. Did this really just show up? I can't tell if B&N is reprinting it, or if it's original. 

Love his inclusion of Miranda, but Jason Derulo?

Sonny Rollins, for the album The Bridge 1962 , and Ornette Coleman for the album The Shape Of Jazz To Come 1959 , were both inducted into the February 2015 Grammy Hall of Fame. Both living legends were born in 1930, turning 85 this year.

Sonny Rollins had a 2014 album release titled Road Shows, Vol. 3. Downbeat Magazine readers poll voted him at #1 for Tenor Sax the years 2009 through 2013. Downbeat critics poll rated Sonny the same for 2011 & 2012. Besides The Bridge, I only know him for the albums Sax Collossus, Work Time, Plus 4, Tenor Madness, all recorded 1956 plus or minus one year. But apparently his new stuff is good too.

The complete list of 2015 Grammy Hall of Fame inductees

Songs:

ABBA, “Dancing Queen” (1976)

Fontella Bass, “Rescue Me” (1965)

Chic, “Le Freak” (1978)

Alice Cooper, “School’s Out” (1972)

The Dominoes, “Sixty Minute Man” (1951)

Fisk Jubilee Singers, “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” (1909)

The 4 Seasons, “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (1962)

Bobby Fuller Four, “I Fought the Law” (1965)

Aaron Neville, “Tell It Like It Is” (1966)

Otis Redding, “Try a Little Tenderness” (1966)

Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972)

Paul Robeson, “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” (1926)

“Fats” Waller, His Rhythm And His Orchestra, “Jitterbug Waltz” (1942)

Hank Williams And His Drifting Cowboys, “Honky Tonkin'” (1947)

Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys, “San Antonio Rose” (1939)

Albums:

Harry Belafonte, Calypso (1956)

Leonard Cohen, Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967)

Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come (1959)

Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks (1975)

Kraftwerk, Autobahn (1974)

Willie Nelson, Stardust (1978)

John Prine, John Prine (1971)

Bonnie Raitt, Nick of Time (1989)

Sonny Rollins, The Bridge (1962)

Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols (1977)

Sly And The Family Stone, Stand! (1969)

Neil Young, Harvest (1972)