Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2015: Best Director

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Directors Guild of America has announced its nominees:

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Clint Eastwood, American Sniper

Alejandro G. Inarritu, Birdman

Richard Linklater, Boyhood

Morton Tyldum, The Imitation Game

For context, via Wikipedia:

The DGA Award for Feature Film has traditionally been a near perfect barometer for the Academy Award for Best Director. Only seven times since the DGA Award's inception has the DGA Award winner not won the Academy Award; in 1968 (Carol Reed won the Oscar for directing Oliver!); 1972 (Bob Fosse won the Oscar for directing Cabaret); 1985 (Sydney Pollack won the Oscar for directing Out of Africa); 1995 (Mel Gibson won for directing Braveheart); 2000 (Steven Soderbergh won the Oscar for directing Traffic); 2002 (Roman Polanski won the Oscar for directing The Pianist); and 2012 (Ang Lee won the Oscar for directing Life of Pi). This does not count 1948-49, when the DGA used a non-calendar award year (unlike the Academy Awards); both 1948 and 1949 DGA winners competed for the 1949 Best Director Oscar, which went to the 1948 DGA winner (Joseph L. Mankiewicz for A Letter to Three Wives).

The winner will be announced February 7.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Selma's Oscar chances have just been dealt another huge blow.

I'm disappointed, but not too surprised. I am very surprised Fincher didn't get a nom for Gone Girl.

Also, I haven't seen American Sniper yet, but of the remaining four, Wes is by far and away the best director.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

of the remaining four, Wes is by far and away the best director.

I'm happy for the expression of passionate opinions, but I don't think this one is supportable.

Now, I'm a noted Anderson disliker, if not hater, but I recognize that the guy's an auteur. He's just not an auteur I care for. But, yeah, he's impressive in his own way.

However, Innaritu and Linklater did brilliant work. I'm much more a fan of Birdman than I am of Boyhood, but I'd have a hard time if either of those films lost to Grand Budapest Hotel. Even so, I wouldn't say that the former two are "far and away" superior to Anderson.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Maybe it's because I haven't seen The Imitation Game yet, but the biggest "surprise" for me here is Morton Tyldum, who I'd never even *heard* of before that film came out (though apparently he directed Headhunters, which I did see).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

of the remaining four, Wes is by far and away the best director.

I'm happy for the expression of passionate opinions, but I don't think this one is supportable.

Now, I'm a noted Anderson disliker, if not hater, but I recognize that the guy's an auteur. He's just not an auteur I care for. But, yeah, he's impressive in his own way.

However, Innaritu and Linklater did brilliant work. I'm much more a fan of Birdman than I am of Boyhood, but I'd have a hard time if either of those films lost to Grand Budapest Hotel. Even so, I wouldn't say that the former two are "far and away" superior to Anderson.

Okay, I was being a little hyperbolic.

In the case of Birdman, which I liked a lot and would totally happy if it won best picture, I feel the real strength is the brilliant performances. Inarritu does a very good job at highlighting those performances and not getting in their way, and the behind the shoulder tracking shots really emerged me with the characters. However, I can't help but feel that some of the hidden seams for the single take effect are a little tacky and distracting, which is why I can't call him the best director of the year. But no, he is not "far and away" inferior to Anderson.

In the case of Boyhood, do you remember the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and The English Patient? That's a semi-exaggerated example of how I feel about Boyhood, and I totally blame Linklater for how boring and directionless that film was.

You know who should have been included? Jennifer Kent.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Jennifer Kent! THAT would have been something.

Peter: I hadn't heard of Tyldum either. His direction is fine, but I think Selma is a far superior (if flawed) film.

As for the Eastwood nom, I'm down with it. That movie, which I really need to see a second time (first time was way too late at night), was surprisingly vigorous, I thought. But maybe I was delirious?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Vote!

And note: the Oscar nominees match the DGA nominees, except Bennett Miller took the place of Clint Eastwood.

The DGA award just went to Alejandro G. Inarritu for Birdman.

The DGA award just went to Alejandro G. Inarritu for Birdman.

I just learned about this and am now looking forward to reading Jeff Wells' and Sasha Stone's blog posts from the past 12 hours. :)