Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Rogue One

I wrote on Facebook that I am basically tired seeing space ships flying around in atmospheres.  I hope they actually have space ships flying around in, you  know, space.

But what's with all the pseudo-Jedi?  Aren't they all dead besides Obi Wan and Vader?   I guess its like if they made a movie of The Silmarillion, they'd find a way to retcon hobbits into it.

NBooth   

Well, the franchise in its current incarnation does seem to be pushing the idea that you can be sensitive to the Force without being a Jedi (Maz in TFA). 

Cunningham wrote:
: I'm getting a strong "Dirty Dozen" vibe. Which is a good thing in my book.

That's what they said about Suicide Squad.

Buckeye Jones wrote:
: I wrote on Facebook that I am basically tired seeing space ships flying around in atmospheres.  I hope they actually have space ships flying around in, you  know, space.

No effing kidding.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

6 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

The pseudo-Jedi in ROGUE ONE is not Force-sensitive, but he believes in the Jedi religion. Like Max Von Sydow's character in THE FORCE AWAKENS.

He also looks like he "believes" enough to leverage the Force to defeat storm troopers--I wonder if we'll see a young version of Lor Sar Tekka or whatever Von Sydow was called. Maybe they can believe together.

I thought the new trailer was ok until the droid said, complete with British accent, "He has a 99 percent chance of failure!" I mean, maybe all SW droids spout stats like that, but this just seems like another case of trying too hard to repeat stuff from the original trilogy.

NBooth   
1 hour ago, Buckeye Jones said:

He also looks like he "believes" enough to leverage the Force to defeat storm troopers--I wonder if we'll see a young version of Lor Sar Tekka or whatever Von Sydow was called. Maybe they can believe together.

Countdown to the fan theory that Donnie Yen is playing a young version of Von Sydow in three...two...one....

5 hours ago, morgan1098 said:

I thought the new trailer was ok until the droid said, complete with British accent, "He has a 99 percent chance of failure!" I mean, maybe all SW droids spout stats like that, but this just seems like another case of trying too hard to repeat stuff from the original trilogy.

I thought of that great clip from Thumb Wars.

14 hours ago, Buckeye Jones said:

I wrote on Facebook that I am basically tired seeing space ships flying around in atmospheres.  I hope they actually have space ships flying around in, you  know, space.

I had a similar response on Facebook.  Seeing that Star Destroyer in atmosphere really diminishes the enormity of that particular ship, especially when you see other shots of star destroyers in space in the same trailer.  The scale seems so much better realized in orbit shots or deep space shots.

Edited by John Drew

NBooth   

One bit I loved was the upside-down shot of the Death Star. It's one example, at least, of the trailer showing something familiar from a new, um, angle.

That trailer is loaded with great images. Rarely do contemporary blockbusters look so lovely. That shot where the hyperspace effect is out of focus is stylistically unlike any previous Star Wars film.

Sadly, Edwards is not very good with human beings, and this trailer is kinda wonky on that score. We'll see if the Tony Gilroy rewrites and reshoots can give this thing some heart, because we've seen what Star Wars without heart is like, and it isn't pretty.

On 12/08/2016 at 6:57 AM, Buckeye Jones said:

But what's with all the pseudo-Jedi?  Aren't they all dead besides Obi Wan and Vader?   I guess its like if they made a movie of The Silmarillion, they'd find a way to retcon hobbits into it.

I mean, Order 66 attempted to exterminate all the Jedi but I wonder how much the Empire could effectively purge Force-sensitives born after? But it also seems that Jedha has some deep significance to Force-users.

One thing I just found out is that Forest Whitaker's character "Saw Gerrara" first appeared in a 2012 episode of The Clone Wars that aired October 6, 2012 on TV (thus preceding Disney's acquisition of Star Wars).

Edited by winter shaker

Yes Clone Wars is canon in the new canon. 

Jedha is a kind of 'Mecca' for those who believe in the Force as a religion, which the film is going to show that while many are not Jedi many do follow it as a religion.

Justin Hanvey wrote:
: Jedha is a kind of 'Mecca' for those who believe in the Force as a religion . . .

And the name might not be accidental, as the real-life Jeddah in Saudi Arabia is "the principal gateway to Mecca, Islam's holiest city, which able-bodied Muslims are required to visit at least once in their lifetime. It is also a gateway to Medina, the second holiest place in Islam."

The excellent Alexandre Desplat (who previously scored Godzilla for Rogue One director Gareth Edwards) has been taken off the film, and the score will now be written by Michael Giacchino, whose score for The Incredibles I loved because it was a great John Barry tribute, but whose scores for Up and Star Trek (both in 2009) convinced me that he was a bit of a hack: he could come up with great motifs, but then he ran them into the ground through non-stop repetition.

As others have noted, this news fits with recent reports that Rogue One has undergone *massive* retooling (reshoots, maybe even re-reshoots) in order to take it away from its original conception and closer to something more fan-service-y Star-Wars-y.

The composer replacement comes just three months before the movie's release date. That's better than the two months that James Newton Howard had when he replaced Howard Shore on King Kong, at least.

Interestingly, both Desplat and Giacchino have experience scoring sequels to movies that were scored by John Williams. Desplat scored both installments of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (whereas Williams scored the first three Harry Potter films), and Giacchino scored Jurassic World (whereas Williams scored the first two Jurassic Parks).

NBooth   

I was so close to calling this back when Williams was rumored to be stepping down after VII. I said then that Giachhino would be taking his place. So, I was right--from a certain point of view. I just had all of the details wrong.

One blogger suggested that Rogue One might be the Suicide Squad of Star Wars, in terms of how the original "darker" vision is being diluted for the sake of greater fan service or whatever.

It has also been noted that, between this and Zootopia and Doctor Strange and the Pixar films, Giacchino has now worked for all four of Disney's main corporate film divisions (Lucasfilm, Disney Animation, Marvel and Pixar). (Giacchino also scored the live-action Disney films Tomorrowland and John Carter, but both of those films were directed by Pixar veterans, so that was all *very* in-house.)

NBooth   
1 hour ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

One blogger suggested that Rogue One might be the Suicide Squad of Star Wars, in terms of how the original "darker" vision is being diluted for the sake of greater fan service or whatever.

Every time I hear a comment like that, I kind of roll my eyes. It carries with it a whiff of the assumption that "darker" is "better" somehow. I mean, sure, it might be--and it could be that they're trying to "dilute" the darkness of Rogue One with the reshoots etc--but that doesn't mean, really, that the "undiluted" version would be that great to begin with (never mind the whiff of evaluation that accompanies words like "diluted" and "undiluted," which is weird to apply to a corporate property like either of the comic book CUs or, now, Star Wars).

That said, it sounds plausible that this change is in line with whatever they're doing with reshoots, yes.

As far as I understand it, the dominant complaint re: Suicide Squad was not that it was lighter, per se, but that the theatrical cut of the film was a senselessly-mangled mash-up of creative impulses.

Extensive reshoots that exist to undermine the original vision of a film and replace it with a corporate directive rarely result in a coherent project.

10 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

As far as I understand it, the dominant complaint re: Suicide Squad was not that it was lighter, per se, but that the theatrical cut of the film was a senselessly-mangled mash-up of creative impulses.

Extensive reshoots that exist to undermine the original vision of a film and replace it with a corporate directive rarely result in a coherent project.

Yes, this.  I'm getting more of a feeling that this Star Wars project has headed down the same type of road akin to Warner Bros. decision to take what Paul Schrader gave them with Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist, and hire Renny Harlin to do re-shoots and eventually release Exorcist: The Beginning.

Edited by John Drew

NBooth, just to be clear, I don't assume that "darker" is always better. And I don't particularly expect great things from Gareth Edwards, whose Monsters I always thought was overrated, and whose Godzilla didn't do much for me. But given a choice between an artistic vision and corporate dictates, I'll tend to defer to the artistic vision, whatever it might be.

NBooth   

I should have been more explicit that my comments were aimed at the blog you referenced, rather than at you personally.