Sign in to follow this  
NBooth

The X-Files

Tyler wrote:
: Nothing about "Babylon" was in any way good or even redeemable.

I noticed that Zoller Seitz tweeted a big thumb-down. And Mark Goodacre grumbled on Facebook that the film had used expressions like "Book of Revelations" and "Tower of Babylon". Fact-checkers, people!

Woah. I haven't been watching, but this AV Club review is pretty brutal.

I was thrilled when I heard The X-Files was coming back, but I had my reservations—and I was practically a Pollyanna compared to other, more sensible critics. Now that the miniseries (or tenth season, or whatever you want to call it) is over, and ended so badly, it’s easy to say this never should’ve happened. It’s easy to scoff at anyone foolish enough to believe it might have worked.

Still haven't caught up, but that probably says something about how little I cared. Maybe this disappointment will make people think twice before clamoring for a revival of Firefly (or whatever). It was beautiful. It ended. Move on. Though I believe the next 90s cult show in the hopper is Xena...

When Did Audiences Stop Taking ‘Middlebrow’ Television Seriously?

If you paid attention to the conversation around The X-Files’ tenth season, you would probably think the new episodes wrecked the integrity of the original series. But the problem with The X-Files’ new season isn’t that it was outright terrible — it’s that it didn’t evolve to meet the expectations that come with being a “Golden Age” TV show. See, the new X-Files wasn’t all that different from the 1990s version audiences fell in love with: It was always a rather hokey, thoroughly middlebrow show, veering from excellent monster-of-the-week episodes to overarching mythology ones involving alien conspiracies, with plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. Its divisive return was a stark example of how much the medium has changed since the show's original run, the complicated relationship audiences have with middlebrow entertainment, and why shows fromHouse of Cards to Game of Thrones choose to mis-market themselves as prestige TV.

That evaluation is kinda/sorta right and kinda/sorta not.

Up until the last episode of the season, I'd have agreed with that characterization of the season. It felt, more or less, like THE X-FILES as it has been since season five. But that last episode was a new low.

Edited by Ryan H.