Sign in to follow this  
Evan C

Raymond Chandler

I realized the other day that while I have seen several movies with screenplays by Chandler or adapted from one of his novels, I have never read a Chandler novel.

I want to correct that, since I'm usually a pretty big fan of detective stories, and I was wondering do any of you guys have recommendations for a good place to start?

With Chandler, once you begin taking pleasure in his prose, you are going to just want to read them all.  It's pretty easy to do since there are only seven of them and most of them can be finished at a 3 hour sitting.

There is actually a sort of chronological order to them, so start with The Big Sleep.

The Long Goodbye is probably the longest of the bunch and it is also my favorite, but I can't say for sure whether it would have been my favorite if I had read it first.  It features an older, wiser and more world-weary Marlowe than do some of the earlier novels, but part of its charm is you've already grown to love Chandler's world and rhythms in order to appreciate them for a longer stretch.  So I'd recommend reading them in the order that Chandler wrote them.

The Long Goodbye is probably the longest of the bunch and it is also my favorite, but I can't say for sure whether it would have been my favorite if I had read it first.  It features an older, wiser and more world-weary Marlowe than do some of the earlier novels, but part of its charm is you've already grown to love Chandler's world and rhythms in order to appreciate them for a longer stretch.  So I'd recommend reading them in the order that Chandler wrote them.

The Long Goodbye was the first Chandler novel I read. I loved it then, and it remains my favorite Chandler novel to this day.

I personally don't think there's any "right" order to read Chandler, but chronological order is probably the way to go.