Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Torres - Sprinter

The new and much-hyped-by-NPR album from Torres is up for a First Listen.

The description has got my attention for obvious reasons:

On her second album, Sprinter, Scott as Torres confronts the problem of confession head-on and proceeds to annihilate its boundaries. She does it by going back to the word's religious origins. Scott was raised Baptist and attended a nondenominational Christian university, and the songs on Sprinter shimmer with recollections of experiencing faith, even as they pulse with the energy of questioning it. Not every song here describes a sectarian encounter — some, like the daringly spare and slow "Ferris Wheel," are about romantic heartache, and Scott's autobiographical exploration of family themes informs some of Sprinter's most profound passages. (The eight-minute album closer "The Exchange" is the rawest and most telling account of an adopted child's struggle with loss that this adoptive mother has heard.)

The title track, a rocker with a tense stop-start structure, describes a child enraptured and betrayed by an untrustworthy man of God who teaches herself how to run beyond the church's finish line. In the hymnlike "New Skin," all the nervousness of youthful transformation — this could be a baptism, psychoanalysis, or a more individual kind of self-exposure or coming out — builds toward a climax that's both triumphant and grave. "Son, You Are No Island" blends theology and sexual dread in a beautiful, gothic homage to one of the masters of such combinations, John Donne.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

This album. Wow. It lives up to the NPR hype. Check it out before the First Listen is over.

Very strong To Bring You My Love vibe here. She has my full attention.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The title track is huge. Can't get it out of my head. Think I'll head out to see her in Vancouver in a couple weeks!

Went ahead and bought this -- a really good record. Does anyone know her first? Worth getting?

Thanks for that, chillinrev! This caught my attention (of course):

“There was this persistent image that I had while I was writing this record that would just flash in my head,” she says. “It sounds completely convoluted, but just bear with me.”

Three, two, one 

“There was an image of a thin neon pink line moving forward through space. For whatever reason, I saw the pink line as my voice on this record, and it made me think a lot about otherness and isolation and almost like I was …” she trails off.

“It was almost like I was looking at Earth and just observing it as an other—not necessarily as a person, but as a spiritual being. I wanted to make a record that allowed me to explore my past, my upbringing in Georgia and my personal experiences, but from a cosmic, futuristic perspective.”

“Sounds like Tree of Life,” I say after a few quiet moments.

Are you serious?” Scott replies, confirming that Terrance Malick’s divisive heartland-on-acid film was her “No. 1 visual inspiration for this album.”

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

I saw you your set at Central Presbyterian Church the other night. Since you write about your upbringing in the church on Sprinter, I found myself wondering what might have been running through your mind at that moment — if you were thinking about all that.

I thought a lot about it. I actually really loved it. I loved the opportunity to play in a place that feels like home in a sense. Because I was raised in a church, and I haven’t removed myself completely from that world. I mean, I don’t attend church currently, but I still am a Christ follower. I consider myself to be a God-fearing person, and I don’t often get the opportunity to play my songs, as I wrote them, in that sort of a setting. It felt, more than anything, like an opportunity — one that I might not get again. I got to sing about God as I’m experiencing God, and I got to do that in a church. In a way, that experience the other night felt like the most honest I’ve ever been able to be in a church. To get to sing those words under a giant cross, it may be sacrilege!

Another great interview that opens up her thinking and philosophy. Found here http://flavorwire.com/510645/healing-is-fun-for-me-torres-on-her-raw-new-album-and-why-sxsw-is-still-worth-it-for-artists

If the world was my oyster I would never taste anything!!!