Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Han Solo origin story spin-off

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode VIII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars, Rogue One, Rebels and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series) and spin-off movies.

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

Links to our threads on previous films and TV shows directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009), 21 Jump Street (2012), The Lego Movie (2014), 22 Jump Street (2014) and The Last Man on Earth (2015-?).

The screenplay is by Lawrence Kasdan (who co-wrote Episodes V and VI as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark and, uh, Dreamcatcher) and his son Jon (writer-director of 2007's In the Land of Women and 2012's The First Time).

Coming to a theatre near you May 25, 2018.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Tyler   

Link.

“This is the first film we’ve worked on that seems like a good idea to begin with. We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us. This is a dream come true for us. And not the kind of dream where you’re late for work and all your clothes are made of pudding, but the kind of dream where you get to make a film with some of the greatest characters ever, in a film franchise you’ve loved since before you can remember having dreams at all.”

So now, the guy who wasn't piloting the Millennium Falcon in The LEGO Movie is getting his own movie from the makers of... The LEGO Movie.

Ummmmm ^^^^^^^

Is it too early to pencil in Miles Teller?

I'd rather see Nicholas Hoult than Miles Teller.

And more than Hoult, I'd like to see NOBODY AT ALL in the role.

NBooth   

Han Solo casting for the upcoming Star Wars Anthology film will aim for an actor in his late teens to early 20s

“We don’t want to spend time going back and answering a lot of questions that, quite frankly, I don’t think people want answered,” says Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. “…I think the key here is that we are identifying an event or events in Han Solo’s life that gives you some idea of who he is and why he is the character we have all known to love…You can imagine, given who we’ve chosen to come in and direct, it should be very entertaining and funny. Han Solo is the character inside Star Wars that everybody knows has a wit and sense of humor. So that’s what this should be.”

[snip]

“He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” she says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.” 

Y'know, because the Prequels had a 13-year-old Boba Fett, geddit?

I mean, literally no one thought there would be a movie about a 10-year-old Solo. If anything, all the internet speculation has been about getting a Solo who's around 30. So what she's actually saying is [a] Chris Pratt isn't getting the role, and these aren't the Prequels. Which, yes. We've got that. Once again, the marketing spiel is based on taking cheap digs at the PT.

Meanwhile, I got a chuckle that this bit followed the quote about not telling a story that no-one wants to hear:

The screenplay for the Han Solo movie is written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan and will focus on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley.

--which is, I think, the definition of a story no-one cares about hearing.

I am slowly developing an antipathy toward this whole project, which is surprising since I tried--initially--to keep a fairly open mind. But the more I see coming out of the Disney camp, the more I'm finding myself inclined to admire the Prequels for being so emphatically out-of-step with expectations. They might not be good, exactly, but they at least have the virtue of being unexpected.

NBooth wrote:

: Y'know, because the Prequels had a 13-year-old Boba Fett, geddit?

The first thing *I* thought of when I read that quote was the 9- or 10-year-old Anakin (and similarly aged Greedo) in Episode I.

NBooth   

NBooth wrote:

: Y'know, because the Prequels had a 13-year-old Boba Fett, geddit?

The first thing *I* thought of when I read that quote was the 9- or 10-year-old Anakin (and similarly aged Greedo) in Episode I.

That, too (though wasn't Greedo just in a deleted scene?). I went for Boba Fett because it's possible to at least make a case for Anakin being that young--it's less easy to do so with Boba Fett (well, unless we take the childhood of villains as a justifiable theme in the Prequels. Certainly, there's much in Boba Fett's story in AotC that plays into the PT's--perhaps the whole saga's--anxiety over absent parents. Now if I could only fit Fett into the Oedipal structure that the rest of the PT follows....)

From Greedo's Star Wars Wiki entry:

In a deleted scene from The Phantom Menace, included on the 2001 DVD release, a character named Greedo appears fighting in the street with a young Anakin Skywalker. After the fight is broken up by Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Greedo is warned by fellow Rodian W. Wald that some day his actions will get him shot. Despite George Lucas' insistance that this was the same Greedo from A New Hope, the scene was felt to be in conflict with established Expanded Universe history and a retcon was put in place explaining that the Rodian who fought with Anakin was, in fact, Greedo the Elder—Greedo's father. However, in 2010 the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode Sphere of Influence feaured Greedo as an adult on Tatooine during the Clone Wars and firmly established him to be same character as seen in both Episode IV and Episode I. For some time the canonicity of A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale remained unclear, for example the description of its events was removed from Greedo's Databank entry. In 2013 however, a StarWars.com blog article The Not-So Magnificent Seven explicitly referenced those events, tying them up with Greedo's appearance in The Clone Wars, reestablishing its canonical status. Despite of that, the dating of events given in A Hunter's Fate: Greedo's Tale contradicts the current canonical version. According to the short story, Greedo was only born around 17 BBY and all of his childhood was spend during the reign of Galactic Empire. Any references to those events by dating remain incompatible with the current version of Greedo being a child by 32 BBY and an adolescent by the time of the Clone Wars.

How cute, that people once regarded the Expanded Universe as so canonical that they would bend the films to fit it.

NBooth   

The Hollywood Reporter says that over 2,500 actors have read for the role of Han Solo:

Actors who have read in person or auditioned via videotape range from the well-known (Dave Franco, 30, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 25, and Miles Teller, 28) to the sort-of-known (Jurassic World's Nick Robinson, 20) to relative unknowns (Kickin' It's Leo Howard, 18, and The Purge's Tony Oller, 24) and also vary significantly in age. Though sources say the "sweet spot" seems to be the mid-20s, the ages of the contenders span from Chandler Riggs, the 16-year-old star of The Walking Dead, to Hunter Parrish, 28, and Mr. Robot star Rami Malek, 34.

[snip]

Others who have thrown their hats in the ring include Fury's Logan Lerman, 23, The Fault in Our Stars' Ansel Elgort, 21, and Transformers: Age of Extinction's Jack Reynor, 23, plus TV faces like Teen Wolf's Colton Haynes, 27, and Bates Motel's Max Thieriot, 27.

...none of whom do anything at all for me.

Reports are that Ehrenreich has landed the role.

I got to looking at his Filmography and apparently I've seen four movies he's been in, but I didn't recognize him at all when I saw these reports for Han Solo. I guess his performances didn't stand out enough for me to remember him. That doesn't bode well

Oh, he was totally memorable in Hail, Caesar!. I've seen three other films of his (Blue Jasmine, Beautiful Creatures, Stoker) and don't remember what he did in any of them, but that's not necessarily a stroke against him -- the parts might have been fairly small, etc.

Anders   

He was good in Francis Ford Coppola's TETRO as well. 

8 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

I got to looking at his Filmography and apparently I've seen four movies he's been in, but I didn't recognize him at all when I saw these reports for Han Solo. I guess his performances didn't stand out enough for me to remember him. That doesn't bode well

This could almost be a write up of the pre-Han Solo career of Harrison Ford. :)

11 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

He OWNS Hail, Caesar!

He was very good in Tetro, too.

Edited by Overstreet

John Drew wrote:
: This could almost be a write up of the pre-Han Solo career of Harrison Ford.

Reminds me of this story Ford likes to tell about one of his first movie roles:

And then there was a guy in charge of what they call the new talent program and he called me into his office the next day and he said, sit down, kid. He always called me kid. He was about four years older then me. [Laughter] He said I saw "Russia from yesterday.” he said, you're never going to make it in this business. Just forget about it. He said the first time Tony Curtis was ever in a movie, he delivered a bag of groceries. You took one look at that guy and you said that's a movie star. And I leaned across his desk and I said, I thought you were supposed to think that that was a grocery delivery boy!

Jeffrey Wells:

What’s the first description of Han Solo that comes to mind? Aside from (a) “you’re a good fighter, Solo…I hate to lose you” and (b) fearless/reckless Millenium Falcon pilot who steers right into an asteroid field to escape Imperial fighters, I mean. The term I have in mind is “charming rascal.” And I have to say that’s the one attitude or vibe that I’ve never gotten from Alden Ehrenreich, who’s been hired to play young Solo in a Star Wars spinoff-prequel that’ll focus on Solo’s early adventures.

I’ve watched Ehrenreich in five films over the last seven years (Tetro, Twixt, Blue Jasmine, Stoker, Hail Caesar!), and while none of the guys he played in these films were Solo types, I’ve never sensed so much as a hint of a posturing macho undercurrent. He’s always struck me as the quiet sincere type — a guy you can trust or fall in love with or vote for. Unassuming, modest, steady. Which is partly why his most successful portrayal so far has been as the soft-spoken, aw-shucksy Hobie Doyle in Hail Caesar!. He’s an underplayer. Definitely not the sort to shoot Greedo under the table.

In other words: 

Jeffrey Wells:

I've only seen an actor play certain kinds of roles. And thus I can only imagine him playing within the range of those roles I've seen so far. These are the limits of my imagination. It couldn't be the case that he can play notes that directors haven't asked him to play yet, could it?

Disney is testing black actresses for the female lead. Variety says the actresses are being tested for a "mystery" character, but my first thought was that Disney might be casting someone to play Sana Starros, a character who was introduced as Han Solo's wife in a comic that came out just last year (and is therefore canon).

Hey, if Forest Whitaker can play a character from one of the animated shows in Rogue One...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway