Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

2015 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury

I asked Mark, who served last year, but he declined. I'm currently talking to 1 or 2 other people who have expressed "interest" but haven't gotten back to me yet. 

We don't have to fill those additional seats, but I thought it made sense to leave a few vacancies in case we want to make last minute additions...you know, like if Spitznas has a Damascus road experience,.Ann Hornaday suddenly decides that the only thing better than writing for The Washington Post is being at A&F, or Derrickson pulls the reverse Rohmer and transitions from directing to criticism.

I like the smaller jury (more personal and unique results) but at the same time, I do want to include whomever wishes to be part of it. I think 15 is still a manageable size that strikes a good balance.

Also, thanks to whomever nominated and seconded La Sapienza; that was wonderful.

And I wish to nominate Man from Reno (it's on Netflix now if anyone's interested)

Edited by Evan C

Hi jurors! Happy to be here, though I'll definitely need to be doing a lot of catching up the next couple of months. 

Nomination:

Song of the Sea (not sure if the release date works out. Technically 2014 but didn't get a limited US release till 2015, I think). 

Seconds:

The End of the Tour

Far From the Madding Crowd 

(I gather that you don't second things that have already been seconded?)

It's fantastic having Lauren, Alissa, Colin, and Noel on this board, and I hope the conversations continue well beyond this jury. I, too, like a smaller jury, yet the diversity allowed within a 15-18 member group is really beneficial. The range of theological, geographic, age, and vocation represented by this present jury is also worth noting.

Also, should there be a thread for discussing and promoting the films we've nominated, akin to the Top 25 and Top 100 lists? Or can we have that conversation within this thread without it becoming confusing or overwhelming. Because everyone should see World of Tomorrow.

Also, should there be a thread for discussing and promoting the films we've nominated, akin to the Top 25 and Top 100 lists? Or can we have that conversation within this thread without it becoming confusing or overwhelming. Because everyone should see World of Tomorrow.

Last year, there was a little discussion in the nominations thread, but if became anything beyond, "What's that movie about? Where can I find it?" it usually moved to the film-specific thread. (For example, The Overnighters.) Many of the films nominated already have film-specific threads, and if someone wants to discuss a film that doesn't, I would recommend creating one.

I see the argument for a discussion-specific thread b/c the nature of discussion in Top-25 list may be esoteric (example: is the Loneliest Planet really a marriage film?) But really, most film-specific threads have broad ranging discussions of the film, and I think our comments would integrate nicely into any of them. (I just posted some thoughts in Ex Machina thread, for instance.) Also, that keeps this thread, or a separate jury discussion thread from being overwhelming. I don't end up checking in frequently because I see there are updates only to see they are about a movie I haven't yet seen. It may be, too, that non-jury members would be less inclined to go to or contribute to a jury-specific discussion thread but could/would contribute comments to a film thread. 

There are others who are more concerned with A&F as an archive than am I (hence the great post-deletion scandal of 200x), but there are some who like having film discussions in one place to make them easier to find.

Then again, that's off the top of my head, so there may be reasons I haven't considered. I have no objection if someone wants to make a jury-specific discussion thread. I just don't know that I would use it much.

So far 38 films have been nominated. I have seen 23 of them. 

I took a not-quite-vow to never watch Paddington. Kind of a Deuce Factor thing. Now you all have gone and thwarted me in that intention. Bad jury, bad, bad!

If Song of the Sea is eligible, I second it.

IMDB lists it as November 2014 release at AFI in US and September in Canada. I am going to assume that since it was still getting festival release in early 2015 that it would qualify under our umbrella of a  first-time theatrical, DVD, or festival release in 2015 in US or Canada" and would thus be eligible. It played at Boulder International Film Festival in 2015, and I assume the DVD release was in 2015. 

By "first-time" I don't mean first festival; just trying to distinguish between new releases and retrospectives. (For instance, in preparation for Fury Road, SXSW played Road Warrior with extended George Miller Q&A in 2015. I would not consider Road Warrior to be eligible, even though it played at a festival in 2015.)

I would like to nominate : Homeless.

Clay Hassler said back in April that he would be willing to provde screeners for jury. (The film played at RiverRun Film Festival and some others) once it was sat. I've contacted him now that the jury is formed to see if that offer still stands. 

Tossing a small wrench in (or maybe not): Does anyone know if The Lobster opens in N.A. (other thann festivals) before the end of the year? If so, I think you may want to consider it.

Second: Hard to Be a God

And that reminds me... I really need to see The Mend.

Nominate:

Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (one of the best religious films of the past decade, for sure)

Michael, you're nominating all the films I've been "about" to watch all year. Thanks for pushing me over the edge. Give me a few days and these will probably all have seconds.

Also of note, Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film JUNUN–his Jonny Greenwood-Indian excursion doc–will only be available to steam via Mubi for just a few more days, maybe less than that. I'll be watching it, and it might just get nominated. Take the opportunity to watch it when you can. You can always sign up for a free trial then cancel it. (Movie Mezzanine is now sponsored by them and you can get your trial via this link: https://mubi.com/mezzanine.)

I noticed while browsing for an outlet to stream LISTEN TO ME MARLON that Showtime has a few of our nominations available (or soon to be) on their streaming platform. Same deal, you can get a free trial if you don't already have it. Looks like PROPHET'S PREY, which Alissa nominated with no second yet, will be leaving on 11.7.15 (http://www.showtimeanytime.com/#/movie/3423887). And LISTEN TO ME MARLON will be available starting 11.14 (http://www.sho.com/sho/reality-docs/titles/3396728/listen-to-me-marlon#/index).

I've been working on getting some screeners. Josh, you nominated KAILI BLUES. I contacted them via the film's Facebook page and let them know who we are and what the Arts & Faith Ecumenical jury is. I just received the screener link via FB Messenger, which looks to be the only way to contact the distributor/publicist. If any of you are interested in watching it, just contact them. They seemed very excited about sharing the film with us. I also contacted Kino Lorber today to get links for Guy Maddin's THE FORBIDDEN ROOM, Jafar Panahi's TAXI, THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, and the doc SEMBENE!. I'll let you all know when and what he sends me, if any of you are interested.

Edited by Bcolinstacy

I would like to nominate : Homeless.

Clay Hassler said back in April that he would be willing to provde screeners for jury. (The film played at RiverRun Film Festival and some others) once it was sat. I've contacted him now that the jury is formed to see if that offer still stands. 

Clay has confirmed permission to give the screening link code to any juror who wants it, so if you would like to screen homeless, send me a private message or e-mail and I will forward you the screener link. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/1morefilmblog/homeless-hassler-2015/

Josh, you nominated KAILI BLUES. I contacted them via the film's Facebook page and let them know who we are and what the Arts & Faith Ecumenical jury is. I just received the screener link via FB Messenger, which looks to be the only way to contact the distributor/publicist. If any of you are interested in watching it, just contact them. They seemed very excited about sharing the film with us.

That's great! I think they're partially excited because the director (Bi Gan) never thought he'd get much in the way of international critical response/attention before he won a prize at Locarno, so he may just be happy people are seeking out the film. I'd highly recommend other members of the jury contact them as well; it's a remarkable, languorous film that stretches and compresses time, place, and memory with dreamlike lyricism and a penchant for long takes (Bi Gan's biggest influences are Hou Hsiao-hsien and Tarkovsky). 

Also, if folks want access to another film I nominated, A Midsummer's Fantasia,  you may want to contact Indiestory and/or Mocushura.

Nominate:

Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (one of the best religious films of the past decade, for sure)

I've been working on getting some screeners. Josh, you nominated KAILI BLUES. I contacted them via the film's Facebook page and let them know who we are and what the Arts & Faith Ecumenical jury is. I just received the screener link via FB Messenger, which looks to be the only way to contact the distributor/publicist. If any of you are interested in watching it, just contact them. They seemed very excited about sharing the film with us. I also contacted Kino Lorber today to get links for Guy Maddin's THE FORBIDDEN ROOM, Jafar Panahi's TAXI, THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER, and the doc SEMBENE!. I'll let you all know when and what he sends me, if any of you are interested.

Do let me know if you hear from Kino Lorber, but don't be surprised if you don't. The Panahi film and SEMBENE! are both still on festival circuit and Kino Lorber is big enough that they may just vet their screeners through Allied-THA rather than handling them independently. But no hard in asking.

Josh, you nominated KAILI BLUES. I contacted them via the film's Facebook page and let them know who we are and what the Arts & Faith Ecumenical jury is. I just received the screener link via FB Messenger, which looks to be the only way to contact the distributor/publicist. If any of you are interested in watching it, just contact them. They seemed very excited about sharing the film with us.

That's great! I think they're partially excited because the director (Bi Gan) never thought he'd get much in the way of international critical response/attention before he won a prize at Locarno, so he may just be happy people are seeking out the film. I'd highly recommend other members of the jury contact them as well; it's a remarkable, languorous film that stretches and compresses time, place, and memory with dreamlike lyricism and a penchant for long takes (Bi Gan's biggest influences are Hou Hsiao-hsien and Tarkovsky). 

Also, if folks want access to another film I nominated, A Midsummer's Fantasia,  you may want to contact Indiestory and/or Mocushura.

I actually emailed Choi at Indiestory earlier this evening. I just got a response from him, and he seems very interested in providing a screener for A MIDSUMMER'S FANTASIA as well! 

Nominate:

Do let me know if you hear from Kino Lorber, but don't be surprised if you don't. The Panahi film and SEMBENE! are both still on festival circuit and Kino Lorber is big enough that they may just vet their screeners through Allied-THA rather than handling them independently. But no hard in asking.

I certainly will, Ken. I spoke with Rodrigo over the phone earlier today. He told me to send him an email for a screener request. (My original inquiry was about a link for THE FORBIDDEN ROOM.) He told me to send him a list of the titles I wanted screeners for and he'd get back with me on their availability. I thought I'd take a chance on the Panahi to see how he'd respond ;)

It looks like you handled that just right; good job. (I've worked with Rodrigo before, I'm glad that you got through to him.)

Something for us all to think about, not just Colin, is that if we want to institutionalize the jury (make it a regular thing), we should probably write out mission statement, policies and procedures, etc. Right now I'm making it up as we go along.

Particularly as it pertains to screeners, some of the marketers, particularly indies, as Colin has found out, handle things in house. Some studios handle outsource. I've spoken to our screener point person at NCFCA, and he says the major accreditation group begins asking him for member lists in early to mid October. (That company is responding to studio requests for screening lists.) If jurors want/hope for more screeners, the number one thing we should do is form earlier so that we have member roster to provide to publicists who ask. 

The down side might be that some jurors don't want to think about it in early October. Others may have access to screeners via other methods (past contact, membership in critics' associations) or have seen things theatrically. Thus far its made more sense to put the onus on the individual critic to approach the reps they want. But sometimes (as Colin probably has already found out or may still find out), the individual critics can be told, "we prefer to hear from *one* person in your group rather than get a dozen messages from different members."

In the NCFCA, we have an appointed member whose job it is to collect and maintain the roster (including address for UPS/Fedex) and e-mail and to deal with any marketing reps. (There's actually two of us, because sometimes one of us gets an inquiry from a publicist asking for a roster and it's easier to give it to her than to refer her to the other officer.) That sounds like something Colin might be good at if we go forward in subsequent years. It's actually a little late in the year to try to institute that this year.