Tyler

Star Trek: Discovery

69 posts in this topic

Alex Kurtzman is developing a new Trek series that will be set in the timeline of the new movies, but will feature original characters. The plan is to premiere the show on CBS, then transition the series to the digital CBS All Access platform.

Edited by Tyler

They haven't actually said which timeline the series will be in, have they?

- - -

Links to our threads on the original TV series (1966-1969), the original movie series (1979-2002), Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994), Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005), Star Trek (2009), Star Trek into Darkness (2013), Star Trek Beyond (2016) and Star Trek 14 (2019). We don't seem to have any threads on the animated series (1973-1975), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999) or Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001).

They haven't actually said which timeline the series will be in, have they?

I guess not, but with Kurtzman in charge, it seems like a safe assumption. 

Showrunner will be Bryan Fuller! (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies)

Wow I'm really excited for this show now.

Some interesting tidbits here about Bryan Fuller's history with other Star Trek series', and a pitch for a new series he gave in 2009 and some thoughts in 2013 he had about how TNG would have evolved out of Abrams-verse that -might- be where he will go with this series now, as well as the fact that his favorite ST series is Deep Space Nine.

This is the first genuinely exciting news I've seen about the series.

Fuller's also running American Godand producing Amazing Stories. Hope he doesn't spread himself too thin.

I hope we're getting an event type series of like 10 episodes a season, each season feeling like one of the original series movies. also i know he is so typecast, but after watching Doug Jones as an alien on Falling Skies, and arguably being the best part of that whole series, I'd love to see him as a Data/Spock like non-humanoid alien exploring what it means to be human throughout this new series. He is just such a dynamic physical actor.

Meyer's involvement could be a good thing, but it could also be a not-so-good thing.

Meyer has always flouted The Way Things Are Done In Star Trek (e.g. a kitchen and bunk beds in The Undiscovered Country), and his last Star Trek movie had some glaring flaws -- many of which were a consequence of trying to establish a very big conspiracy theory that could be wrapped up neatly in less than two hours. (It didn't help that The Undiscovered Country came out the same month as Oliver Stone's JFK.) So his name doesn't necessarily guarantee quality to me.

But of course, The Wrath of Khan is a marvel of characterization, and it was effectively the first new Star Trek story in a decade (The Motion Picture was made only two and a half years earlier, but it is *set* almost a decade earlier), so Meyer had plenty of freedom to change things around and deviate from the formulas (Kirk is an admiral, Chekov is first officer on an entirely different ship, etc.). And the portions of The Voyage Home that Meyer wrote were entirely set in the 1980s, and far removed from the Star Trek universe -- so again, Meyer's efforts there worked because he was able to explore the *characters*.

I guess this new series has the potential to be entirely separate from everything that we've seen before (different universe? different era?), in which case Meyer would have some freedom to do whatever he wants without worrying about how it affects continuity etc. But the potential for big flaws is still there. We'll see.

10 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Meyer's involvement could be a good thing, but it could also be a not-so-good thing.Meyer has always flouted The Way Things Are Done In Star Trek (e.g. a kitchen and bunk beds in The Undiscovered Country), and his last Star Trek movie had some glaring flaws -- many of which were a consequence of trying to establish a very big conspiracy theory that could be wrapped up neatly in less than two hours. (It didn't help that The Undiscovered Country came out the same month as Oliver Stone's JFK.) So his name doesn't necessarily guarantee quality to me.

Well, the only two Star Trek films I really admire are Khan and Undiscovered Country (the former is much better than the latter, of course, but the latter still hangs together better than any of the other Trek films). I'm very excited to see him participating here, particularly in conjunction with Bryan Fuller.

Nicholas Meyer speaks.

The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.

This is so intriguing. Undiscovered Country is also one of my favorite ST films, in part because it is also one of the DS9-ish of the Star Trek scripts. So Fuller + something this direction is very promising.

Will they write it in the original Klingon?

6 minutes ago, Tyler said:

According to Devin Faraci's unnamed sources, the first season will be set after Undiscovered Country and before Next Generation, and will be a seasonal anthology (i.e. different cast/setting/time/etc.) going forward.

Looks like they're seeing the JJVerse as the cul-de-sac it's revealed itself to be. Good. 

Not sure how I feel about the anthology idea, but it certainly does have potential.

I got to thinking how much I'd love a Stargazer series, Picard made it sound like it was a rather interesting ship to work on with an interesting crew...including a lizard alien as a chief engineer which with today's CGI might finally be possible

I was intrigued enough to click the promo, but it turned out to be an animated powerpoint with retro-cool font and old school Star Trek music.  Lots of Mac-esque backgrounds stolen for the powerpoint, btw.

Collider: Exclusive: New ‘Star Trek’ Showrunner Bryan Fuller on Progressiveness, Number of Episodes, Filming Details, and Much More

Nothing really big, but some little stuff like the detail that the season is going to tell a single story over the course of thirteen episodes.

"This video is not available."

Ugh. Well, if it helps any, the ship is pretty much Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the movie back in '76. There's even a hanger bay in an asteroid.