Tyler

Star Trek: Discovery

NBooth   
7 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

I feel very meh on this now. More excited for the Galaxy Quest like The Orville than this.

My interest-level has lowered considerably since Fuller left. At this point, I'm much more likely to wait until the show's been completely released--unless the reviews are really good.

Edited by NBooth

Not liking the way people communicate by hologram here, as though this were Star Wars or something. 

Also, the guy playing Sarek doesn't look or (more importantly) sound *at all* like either of the actors who have played Sarek in the past.

The klingons mainly really throwing me off. Why did they feel the need to make them look like Abrams-verse Klingons and completely undermine the fact that this is supposed to be set in the same universe as Original Series etc. As it is it definitely looks Abrams verse influenced. There's even lens flare heh. I like the first Abrams movie and the third but I would rather a truly old school Star Trek feel and aesthetic than this. Which is what Fuller sounded like he wanted. But the studios wanted Abrams and his vision I guess and so they went with his aesthetic. Which means this will be even more cliche and over the top than Enterprise was. I doubt it does well.

Justin Hanvey wrote:
: The klingons mainly really throwing me off. Why did they feel the need to make them look like Abrams-verse Klingons and completely undermine the fact that this is supposed to be set in the same universe as Original Series etc.

That did occur to me too, though I guess the implication of the Abrams films is that there has always been a race of Klingons that looked like this now.

NBooth   

Ok.... Not sure how I feel about the shoot-first thematics implied here, but whatever. 

Whoever runs the Movies Silently Twitter feed has been complaining all day about the direction this series seems likely to go: First there's the seeming revelation that Spock had a secret human sister all this time, and then there's the producer going on and on about how TV shows are becoming more like film (which is arguably a problem for a franchise like Star Trek, which has always been very TV-ish even when it went for serialized storylines a la Deep Space Nine).

NBooth   

Well, I mean at least giving Spock secret siblings is totally consistent with the way the series has always worked.

NBooth wrote:
: Well, I mean at least giving Spock secret siblings is totally consistent with the way the series has always worked.

The only precedent I can think of is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the movie that Gene Roddenberry considered non-canonical. I'm not sure that *that's* the most promising analogy that one could make here. (But hey, if this series found a way to bring Sybok into the story, that would be... interesting.)

Interesting video, makes some good points and now I'm interested in what this Nicholas Meyer project is.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I forgot this was on last night.   How was it?

I watched the first two episodes on the Space Channel here in Canada.

My main takeaway right now is that the actors playing the Klingons really seem to be forcing their dialogue to come through their prosthetics. Their voices are muffled -- like they've got too much stuff in their mouths -- in a way that was never true of Worf, etc. (Coincidentally, I happened to watch the TNG episode 'Birthright Part II' the night before DIS premiered.)

I also have all sorts of quibbles with the episode, like how exactly someone with no significant exposure to humans suddenly ended up in a command position on a Starfleet vessel (in a flashback set seven years ago), or how all the backup warships and starships arrive at the Exact Same Time even though they're coming from different places (warp speed isn't instantaneous, y'know; in the first movie, we were told it would take four days just to travel from Earth to Vulcan).

I definitely liked Doug Jones' Saru. And I wouldn't have minded if the entire series had focused on Michelle Yeoh's captain.

The opening credits list a *lot* of executive producers. Like, there's a *lot* of them. And unfortunately, at least two of the credited writer-producers are among the worst writers working in the biz.

The special effects are pretty good but that's just kind of par for the course nowadays, isn't it? Some of the significant VFX sequences weren't all that different in *concept* from things that we saw in, say, Star Trek: Nemesis (bodies getting sucked out through breaches in the hull, people flying across the vacuum of space from one exposed part of the ship to another, one starship ramming through the hull of another, etc.), and that was fifteen whole years ago.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Hmm.  Sounds like it may be worth an hour.  I didn't like Enterprise very much (Scott Bakula and the goofy engineer guy), so I'm skeptical.

11 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

I also have all sorts of quibbles with the episode, like how exactly someone with no significant exposure to humans suddenly ended up in a command position on a Starfleet vessel (in a flashback set seven years ago), or how all the backup warships and starships arrive at the Exact Same Time even though they're coming from different places (warp speed isn't instantaneous, y'know; in the first movie, we were told it would take four days just to travel from Earth to Vulcan).

If you're talking ST-TMP, I seem to remember that, as well. However, IIRC, it seems to only take a matter of minutes to reach Vulcan from Earth in the first JJ Abrams film. Am I wrong here? Have the producers/creators of ST-Discovery said what time thread they are following?

edit: This clip begins just after the Enterprise has made the jump to warp.  Like I said... minutes.

Edited by John Drew

John Drew wrote:
: If you're talking ST-TMP, I seem to remember that, as well. However, IIRC, it seems to only take a matter of minutes to reach Vulcan from Earth in the first JJ Abrams film. Am I wrong here?

You are not wrong. This is one of the many things that bugged me about the JJ Abrams film from the beginning.

The time it takes to travel *between* star systems was never much of a factor in classic Trek, which generally set each episode at a particular planet and stayed there. As for the movies... TMP certainly allows for long travel times, even as it gives V'Ger time to fly from Klingon space to Earth. TWOK is vague enough on the time elapsed between scenes set on different worlds, I think. TSFS is a little trickier, as the Enterprise heads straight from Earth to the Genesis planet *illegally* and is never intercepted (were there no other starships who could have made a detour to stop Kirk, or at least to apprehend him once he arrived? the Grissom was a science vessel and might not have been sufficient); and then Uhura somehow travels from Earth to Vulcan while all the others travel from Genesis to Vulcan (in the novel, if memory serves, Uhura actually *transports* from Earth to Vulcan!). TVH is no problem, as it simply takes place on Earth, except for an introductory flight from Vulcan to Earth that doesn't pose any problems chronologically. TFF actually has the Enterprise traveling from Earth *all the way to the centre of the galaxy* in a relatively short time, which is just nuts. TUC... hmmm. I'd have to think about that one some, as there is a *lot* of flying around within Federation and Klingon space, but I can't remember exactly where they were at different points (and I have no idea where Khitomer, Q'onos and Rura Penthe are in relation to each other).

I'll stop there. :)

: Have the producers/creators of ST-Discovery said what time thread they are following?

DIS is supposed to be taking place on the same timeline as TOS and all the other series, I believe. In other words, it is *not* taking place on the JJ Abrams timeline (even if it borrows many of its ideas and aesthetics from those films).