Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2016: Best Screenplay (Adapted)

The Writers Guild Award nominees:

• The Big Short, Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay; Based on the Book by Michael Lewis; Paramount Pictures
  • Carol, Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy; Based on the Novel The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith; The Weinstein Company
  • The Martian, Screenplay by Drew Goddard; Based on the Novel by Andy Weir; Twentieth Century Fox
  • Steve Jobs, Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin; Based on the Book by Walter Isaacson; Universal Pictures
  • Trumbo, Written by John McNamara; Based on the Biography by Bruce Cook; Bleecker Street Media

I believe this guild only nominates its own members, so there are a lot of Oscar-contending scripts that weren't even considered for the WGA award.

The winner will be announced February 13.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

It bums me out that there doesn't seem to be any way to add polls to existing threads in the current version of the board, but oh well.

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• The Big Short
  • Brooklyn
  • Carol
  • The Martian
  • Room
So, three of the WGA nominees, plus Brooklyn and Room, both of which I believe were written by people who are not members of the WGA and would thus not be eligible for those awards.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

On 1/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Writers Guild Award nominees:

• The Big Short, Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay; Based on the Book by Michael Lewis; Paramount Pictures
  • Carol, Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy; Based on the Novel The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith; The Weinstein Company
  • The Martian, Screenplay by Drew Goddard; Based on the Novel by Andy Weir; Twentieth Century Fox
  • Steve Jobs, Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin; Based on the Book by Walter Isaacson; Universal Pictures
  • Trumbo, Written by John McNamara; Based on the Biography by Bruce Cook; Bleecker Street Media

I believe this guild only nominates its own members, so there are a lot of Oscar-contending scripts that weren't even considered for the WGA award.

The winner will be announced February 13.

And the winner is... The Big Short. But I could easily see it losing the Oscar to Room or Brooklyn, neither of which were eligible for the WGA award.