Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Sherlock Holmes 3

Links to our threads on Sherlock Holmes (2009) and Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

Links to our threads on Sherlock (2010-), Elementary (2012-), Mr. Holmes (2015) and Young Sherlock Holmes (in development).

- - -

EXCLUSIVE: Downey Jr. confirms Sherlock Holmes 3 shooting this year
In an exclusive interview with ShortList, Robert Downey Jr. said he and director Guy Ritchie, who directed the first two instalments of Sherlock Holmes, would be starting work on a third film before the end of the year.
“We’re talking about it right now,” said the actor. "We can do some preliminary stuff.”
He admitted that their busy schedules caused the delay in following up 2011’s A Game of Shadows, which saw Holmes fake his death after a fight with his nemesis Moriarty.
“If we could shoot it on Skype, we could have the whole [movie] done in a week,” he admitted. “When we’re making those Sherlock movies it is off the hook. [So] we’ll attempt to make one this year. It really is a big deal to go and do those movies. I’m tired all the time, but I’m so excited about it." . . .
ShortList, April 21

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

3 hours ago, Overstreet said:

I'd rather have Man From UNCLE 2, but okay.

Me too, a little. On the other hand, Game of Shadows has held up remarkably well to subsequent viewings--unlike the first Ritchie Holmes flick--so I have high hopes. And it would be nice to see them complete the trilogy.

Writers assembling to crack the story:

Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros., Village Roadshow and Team Downey have selected a writers’ room that includes “Guardians of the Galaxy” scribe Nicole Perlman, “Baywatch” scribe Justin Malen, “Rogue One” writer Gary Whitta, “Tomb Raider” Geneva Dworet-Robertson and “Snowden” screenwriter Kieran Fitzgerald to help shape the script and story for next installment.

--which, eh. I'm not too gleeful about this set of writers.  Then again, I have no idea how a "writers' room" even works for a feature film (I have some vague idea of how it works in television). Fortunately, Variety breaks it down:

The writers room concept first commonly used in TV, has become a trend more studios are using  for films, especially when it comes to shaping universes. Paramount set one up for “Transformers” and Universal is doing something similar with their classic monster universes.

This is a rare case in which a room is being set up for just one film. However one source said that in this case it makes sense to gather a good group, rather than have several writers rewrite or polish, which happens to films often in the development process.

Edited by NBooth