12.    Kid, The (1921)
13.    Kid with a Bike, The (2011)
14.    City Lights (1931)
15.    Joyeux Noel (2005)
16.    Love & Mercy (2014)
17.    Munyurangabo (2007)
18.    Phantom Carriage, The (1921)
19.    Tsotsi (2005)
20.    Devil and Daniel Webster, The (1941)
21.    Hadewijch (2009)
22.    Pieces of April (2003)
23.    Spirited Away (2001)
24.    Island, The (2006)
25.    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

We need a write-up on each film. Please volunteer over in the appropriate thread!

Evan C   

What do you people have against Adam's Apples?

I jest; it's great list - all good titles, a few surprises, and a nice variety.

Tyler   
1 hour ago, Evan C said:

What do you people have against Adam's Apples?

That and Lars and the Real Girl were the two I was most looking forward to. 

Other than an 8-year-old stub thread (SDG was the only one who wrote anything) have we talked about Monsieur Vincent anywhere? I'm trying to figure out how a movie I've honestly never heard of topped our list. 

Evan C   

Since we have Lars and the Real Girl on the Divine Comedies list, I'm not bummed by its absence. Adam's Apples and Short Term 12 were the two I was really looking forward to. But oh well, I still think it's a pretty great list.

Also, I've known about Monsieur Vincent for awhile, but I've never gotten around to seeing it; now I feel compelled to.

Attica   

If it makes you feel better, I gave Adam's Apples a 5 star both times.

But really, it seems like we have a really good list.  I say seems because there's a few I haven't seen.  I'll be fixing that.

Actually I had ordered the Criterion version of Phantom Carriage the other day.  The raves here inspired me.  

So I've already got a good start.

Rushmore   

This looks good to me, though there are a lot I haven't seen and a few more that I badly need to see again. Excellent balance of different periods and national origins (although, interestingly, the sixties and seventies are absent).

Two of these, Diary of a Country Priest and The Son, have been on all five versions of the top 100 list (and the latter was in the top ten on all four that were ranked). Elephant Man was on the 2004, 2005, and 2006 versions. Munyurungabo was on the 2010 and 2011 lists, as well as the road movies list. City Lights was on the comedy list. There's no overlap with the other lists.

Here's an updated spreadsheet of all A&F lists.

NBooth   
1 minute ago, Ryan H. said:

This is a much more interesting list than I thought we'd end up with. Lots to explore here.

Agreed on both counts.

M. Leary   

Hey, wow.

This is one of the most interesting lists we have produced. Very excited to see this turning out so well. It also looks to incorporate a lot of different eras of filmmaking as well. 

Thank you, Ryan H., and everyone else who helped lead this.  I know it can occasionally be quite time consuming.  The end result list this year is challenging and thoughtful.  Once we get all the write-ups finished, it will be one to be proud of.

Brian D   

This really does look good. 

This list does a nice job of dodging the possible overlap with the top 100's.  I guess the top 100's were not as "merciful" as I had thought. :)

Edited by Brian D

SDG   

Great list, everyone. 

Evan, sorry about Adam's Apples, which I've never seen. And I also was hoping for Lars and the Real Girl, but this is a great list. 

Attica   

Yeah.  Lars and the Real Girl would have been nice.  

SDG.  I really think you would appreciate Adam's Apples.  It wrestles with some pretty deep spiritual questions and issues, but does so in a refreshing way.  It's a *very* dark comedy, yet in handling this it perfectly straddles the line as it is also quite funny and never becomes terribly offensive.  When a lesser film would.  

Just in that it is a fascinating thing to behold.  There aren't many films that touch on such dark subject matter, but also with this much hilarity, questions, and insights.

Edited by Attica

Evan C   

+1 to everything Attica said. Adam's Apples also is film about a priest with terminal brain cancer practicing the corporal and spiritual works of mercy by trying to rehabilitate a prisoner released on parole who has no intention of being rehabilitated. It ends with the most incredible act of divine mercy perfectly tying all ends of the story together as well.

Brian D   

Pieces of April - First viewing tonight.  What a delightful sleeper choice for this list.  So refreshingly untypical of "traditional" A & F...and with mercy so much at the foreground, yet with a gentle touch.  I wish it wasn't shot like an episode of "The Office", but it is lovely in almost every other way. 

Edited by Brian D

Brian D   

Just an encouragement to spend some time finding and watching each of these films...the more I've done that myself, the more I"ve seen what a deep and varied list this is! And mercy...what a worthy subject to circle around for a while even as we are exploring cinema.

Edited by Brian D

StephenM   

What a fascinating list.  I haven't seen half of them.  (The ones I have are all excellent.)  I can't really comment, since I wasn't involved in any way and who wants to hear a random interloper's opinion?, but I must say: the first film that came to my mind when thinking of the theme of mercy was The Sun Shines Bright, and it appears it wasn't even nominated.  A shame.