Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
morgan1098

Radiohead-"Burn the Witch"

17 posts in this topic

OK this is kind of awesome.

I love the song. Listened to numerous times so far. Happy to hear the full band in force here.

Also, the video is so good. About half way through, I was thinking to myself, "Are they really going to do claymation Wicker Man?" And they did. Love it.

#FeelingTheBern

Does nothing for me. 

It's nice (gotta love that Greenwood orchestration), but doesn't have much staying power.

I did like their Spectre tune that they released earlier this year.

Another new video. This one was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

Edited by Tyler

Album is available now. The official title is A Moon Shaped Pool. The album includes "True Love Waits," which they have been playing live for around 20 years. 

Edited by Tyler

I've listened to the whole album straight through twice, and it definitely takes a different turn around the halfway point, like with "Glass Eyes" and "Identikit." I like the first half, which is akin to "Burn the Witch," but I just may *love* the second half, particularly the coda of "True Love Waits."

'True Love Waits' is just gorgeous. The strings and choirs on this record are lovely.

Without doubt their best album since 'In Rainbows', if you will forgive the hyperbole...

Have already listened to it a bunch of times , all the way thru and feel much happier with this direction than I did with KoL, five years ago. It's heavy on Greenwood's oblique orchestrations, heavy on keys/acoustic guitar and light on electric guitars. Also lots and lots of wonderful vocals...It all gives me the slight impression of a Yorke solo album with Jonny doing arrangements. I'm not sure if this will have the staying power of In Rainbows, but it certainly feels like the kind of music that 50-year old guys should be making and perhaps emotionally open in ways their music hasn't been before. Highlights: (in order) The Numbers, Past Tense, Desert Island Disk, Glass Eyes, True Love Waits... Spectre is the best song they've recorded in a decade-- it's a damned shame it wasn't included here. 

Edited by Greg P

2 hours ago, Greg P said:

Spectre is the best song they've recorded in a decade-- it's a damned shame it wasn't included here. 

It is, at least, one of the two bonus tracks that comes with the Special Edition. It would have fit well on this album, but I'm glad they're at least releasing a high-quality version.

Easily my favorite Radiohead record since Amnesiac. And yes, from "Identikit" on, it's next-level Radiohead — exploring new frontiers of sound with no hurry to impress and no sense that they're doing crowd service. On Facebook I posted, 

Looking for time to write about Radiohead's glorious new album, A MOON SHAPED POOL, and how its emphasis on beauty, from the quiet to the symphonic, is matched by some surprisingly hopeful lyrics. Their usual social commentary and "THE END IS NEAR" observations are seasoned here with a Big Picture view of love and ultimate reconciliation. They've always sounded truthful to me, but this feels wiser, as much a consolation as a lamentation.

In terms of arrangement, "The Numbers" reminds me of another Godrich production, Beck's "Sea Change". This can only be a good thing.

I'm pretty well taken by the entire album, though.

I'm not feeling "Identikit" and I'm not sure why. I feel bad for Phil Selway on most Radiohead records lately, but maybe I shouldn't I haven't seen them live since HTTT; perhaps he gets to enjoy himself in the live show? Or more likely it is actually challenging and interesting to play those beats? They are touring with Portishead's Clive Deamer as a second drummer again this time, so presumably some cool percussion things happen.

Anyway - I need to spend a little more time with the subtler songs on this record, but I'm loving the more dramatic ones, if that makes sense.

I went to my local indie and bought the CD today. I'm obviously showing my age here, but there is still something awesome about the Physical Product. The design of the sleeve, the tactile experience of removing the CD, even if I'm only going to import it into my iTunes. There's a 12-page booklet that is devoid of lyrics or text aside from some credits on the final page, which could have easily fit on the outer sleeve. So what is the booklet for? It's to look at and ruminate on the colorful and maybe slightly disturbing images inside while you're listening to the album. That's a critical part of the experience for me and I guess it always will be, or at least it will be as long as physical media continues to exist, however niche the market.