NBooth

Film Club 2016: Revenge of the Film Club

Evan C   
36 minutes ago, Bcolinstacy said:

I'm in for Noirvember as well. In speaking with Ryan and Nathaniel about it, the film we thought would be a great place to start is Welles' The Lady From Shanghai

I've wanted to rewatch that for awhile...

NBooth   

I'm certainly game. I'm driving to a conference this weekend, so I'll be out of pocket. But if anyone wants to start a thread and get the ball rolling it would be great (we have, too, the alternative selection mentioned above, so I was waiting to see what the consensus was).

I've already requested The Lady from Shanghai from the library. Monsieur Vincent is on my to-watch list, so I'm open to either direction, but noir is a film genre I haven't explored much, so perhaps it's time.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:07 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I've already requested The Lady from Shanghai from the library. Monsieur Vincent is on my to-watch list, so I'm open to either direction, but noir is a film genre I haven't explored much, so perhaps it's time.

Oh, you are in for a treat. 

If there are no serious objections by EOD, I'll start a Noirvember thread.

On 11/5/2016 at 6:32 AM, Ryan H. said:

Oh, you are in for a treat. 

If there are no serious objections by EOD, I'll start a Noirvember thread.

I've been increasingly interested in noir, and have seen many of the "must-sees" of the genre--I even own The Maltese Falcon--but having this film club accountability and personal recommendations will, I hope, be greatly beneficial in making up for this deficiency in my cinephile progress.

NBooth   

We should probably start discussing the next six months or so worth of film club features. I've been out of pocket for various reasons, but I'll go ahead and raise the question. I'd like to propose that, since we did Noirvember, we should start with the other possible November choice-- Monsieur Vincent--in January. I won't be able to co-ordinate discussion for that month, though, so if anyone wants to volunteer....

NBooth   

Everything moves too fast these days. Here we are, nearly March, and no Film Club selection. So I'll throw out a couple of suggestions. I'm thinking that after a run of more-or-less dramatic flicks we should try something different; keep in mind, I've seen none of them:

1. A Touch of Zen (King Hu): just got a Criterion release recently and I have been planning on watching but just haven't gotten to it.

2. The Killer (John Woo): on Neflix

3. Compulsion (Richard Fleischer): on Netflix. With Orson Welles. Based on Leopold and Loeb.

There are more options, of course, but I figured these would be good to at least get discussion going. If we decide on any of them, I'll be happy to take point.

NBooth   
On 2/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, Joel Mayward said:

The Killer is peak Woo.

I'd be happy to volunteer to host a film discussion in April.

Thanks. That'll be great.

Should I take the silence as general consensus that the Woo flick is as good a choice as any other?

Let's go with Woo. I've admittedly not seen the other two, but The Killer, as well as Woo's entire oeuvre, are worth examining and discussing.

Anders   
40 minutes ago, Joel Mayward said:

Let's go with Woo. I've admittedly not seen the other two, but The Killer, as well as Woo's entire oeuvre, are worth examining and discussing.

THE KILLER actually has some interesting engagement with Christian imagery that folks here would benefit from digging into (more than just the surface reading). THE KILLER is fantastic, but I must say, HARD BOILED is my favourite Woo.

NBooth   

Cool. I'll set up a thread this evening or tomorrow. 

Rob Z   

I'm new here, and this seems like a great way to be involved. I looked at some other "film club" threads, and I'm a little unclear on the timeline. Is this an every other month thing? Someone proposes/picks a film (which just happened) and month, then in that month, everyone watches the film, posts thoughts, and discusses?

38 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

I'm new here, and this seems like a great way to be involved. I looked at some other "film club" threads, and I'm a little unclear on the timeline. Is this an every other month thing? Someone proposes/picks a film (which just happened) and month, then in that month, everyone watches the film, posts thoughts, and discusses?

Rob, it's a relatively new practice, resurrected from an older practice. We're trying to do it every month, though the past two have been difficult due to busyness in many people's schedules. Typically, a designated person picks a film and is the curator for that month of discussion--they offer interesting reviews or essays, ask a few questions, something to get the conversation going. Then people view the film and post their reflections. I think we've tried to aim for films many/most have not viewed yet, as a way of introducing people to a new film or filmmaker. For instance, Ryan Holt's suggestion of Tokyo Drifter a few months piqued my interest in Seijun Suzuki, a filmmaker I had never heard of before, and likely never would have bothered seeking out.

Glad to have you here, Rob!