Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Any tips on how to survive "A Cinderella Story"?

I've been assigned to see Hilary Doofus in "A Cinderella Story" tonight.

I discovered this on the CT Movies assignment list recently, and was troubled, but then forgot about it. When I realized this week that it was still on my list... that it hadn't been a bad dream... I was dismayed to learn that in order to attend this screening, I have to miss entirely the screenings for "A Door in the Floor" AND "I, Robot."

Man, I'm depressed.

Not only is this the genre of film that I detest the most, but it's on a night when two other movies I'm very interested in are getting their only press screenings.

Please help... How can I survive this ordeal?

Is there some lens through which I could view the film to make the experience worthwhile? Or interesting?

Twice in the last week I've requested that they re-assign the film to someone else, but my pleas have gone unanswered.

If you don't hear from me in the morning, be very very concerned.

sad.gif

Guest Russell Lucas

Well, such is life as a reviewer, I suppose.

We happened to see the TV spot and were happy to see the actor who played Tristan in the first season of Gilmore Girls (which we just finished) in the Prince Charming role. There's, uh, that.

Can you take an angle? A blurb in Time a month or two ago noted these new kind of Cinderella stories, where the resolution seems to reconcile family/coupling and career/education aspirations. Can you touch at all briefly on why these narratives still resound, and why they should or shouldn't?

Jeff! I'll swap you!

I've been assigned both The Bourne Supremacy and Catwoman, but it turns out they're screening on the same night, so I have to drop one! If you could take Catwoman (I have to leave work early to catch whatever film I see that night, and Bourne is showing closer to my place of work), then I'll cover Cinderella, which I'm seeing with my friend's 10-year-old daughter tomorrow night anyway!

The only potential snag in this plan is that I don't have my ticket for Bourne yet. The studio in question usually sends me tickets, though, so I'm pretty confident I'll get one. But on the off-chance that I DON'T get one, I could stick with Catwoman and give Bourne to you.

Deal?

Peter... IT'S A DEAL.

I can catch "Catwoman" in a couple of days... and I'd be overjoyed to do "Bourne".

Catberry vs. Dufferella. Not since Scylla and Charybdis...

I had thoughts along the same line... eek.gif

Really, is this a good deal for everyone? tongue.gif

Boy, do you owe me, Jeff.

But not because I had to review A Cinderella Story, per se. I actually had fun writing the review -- I am so I-don't-really-care-about-this-film about the film that tossing off several hundred words about it wasn't that hard to do, really.

No, I just didn't like getting up so early in the morning so that I could work on BOTH the reviews that I had to get done today. Devoting one of my mornings to ONE of these films, and looking forward to the afternoon as my time of liberation, is bad enough, but having to cram TWO of these reviews into a single morning (well, okay, one-and-a-half, since I had half-written the other one yesterday) -- ugh.

Then again, since you're already doing Catwoman for me, I guess you don't owe me after all -- the debt is paid in full already.

smile.gif

BTW, one thing about this film that I didn't get to mention in my review is that this film has a raindrop shot that brought The Passion to mind, at least for me -- but I didn't have a clue whether I should comment on that, or how, so I just let it go.

I took my friend's ten-year-old daughter to the film and she told me, before the film began, that all the Hilary Duff movies she had seen so far "sucked". Then why did she agree to come with me to THIS one? She gave me a well-duh look and said, "Free movie!" She thought this was one of the better Duff vehicles, but that ain't saying much -- she still thought it was "too childish" for a high-school movie. She told me girls like the Hilary Duff character would have outgrown the "princess" phase by the time they were high-school grads -- by then, they should have moved on to ponies, then horses, then dogs, then clothes, then music. The whole "princess" thing, at Duff's age, just didn't ring true to her (or me, for that matter -- my own take on the film is that it is very much not a movie FOR teens but, rather, a movie ABOUT teens for people who dream of becoming teens, yet the fact that it reduces teenaged life to the level of a nursery-ish fairy tale kinda spoils the illusion that it is really about teens after all).

Kids can be so sensitive about age. I remember going through a number of my Disney DVDs with this kid a year ago, looking for the games on them. She really liked the game that is spread out over the two Beauty and the Beast discs, and she gave me a triumphant hug when we finished it, but what I vividly recall most of all is how she said "This is for BABIES!" when we tried the game on Winnie the Pooh.

Peter, I gotta tell you that your reviews lately have been a great pleasure to read. Can't quite put my finger on it yet, but your writing has taken a giant step forward. There is so much authority, insight, and "voice" in what you're doing. Way to go, man. I read both of your CT reviews today, "A Cinderella Story" and "I, Robot," with admiration bordering on jealousy.

Hmm. They're there when *I* got to CT Movies. Strangely, though, the photos aren't working right.

For the record,

Ted Baehr:

A CINDERELLA STORY is one of the three best produced movies of the summer of 2004. It

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Hmm. They're there when *I* got to CT Movies. Strangely, though, the photos

: aren't working right.

Yeah, that's what I'm experiencing NOW. (And FWIW, my review is here.) I wonder if maybe my browser was stuck on some older version of the page.

Ted Baehr wrote:

: A CINDERELLA STORY is one of the three best produced movies of the summer of

: 2004.

You have GOT to be kidding me. Not just of this genre, but one of the three best movies, period? I wonder what the other two are.

: The talented Hilary Duff has not been known for her acting . . .

Then in what way is she talented?

: But, Dan Byrd who plays Carter almost steals the movie -- he is at the same time

: a nerd and a suave, professional wannabe actor. He's funny and disarming.

Actually, THIS I must agree with -- and I thought about saying something to this effect in my review, but I guess I let it slip. I liked this guy. I was reminded a wee bit of Corey Feldman back in his Goonies and Stand By Me phase, before he went all stupid and teen-idoly, but more because of the actor's looks than because of his performance, per se. I'll be keeping an eye out for his future roles. And if a phrase like "disarmingly funny" had occurred to me while I wrote my review, I would certainly have tucked it in there.

Ted Baehr:

A CINDERELLA STORY is one of the three best produced movies of the summer of 2004. It

Would you believe, I have read a few other critics' reviews of this film in the last couple days, and I am beginning to feel rather bad about the fact that I don't think my own review ever mentions the diner where Duff's character works, or the fact that her football-jock love interest has a thing for poetry -- items which are so prominent in the film that nearly every other review seems to mention them. I feel that I have failed in my job as critic, to convey the essential facts about the film under review. I am overcome by guilt and shame. And I also feel it is silly, patently silly, risible in the extreme, to feel any guilt whatsoever over a Hilary Duff movie.